Author Topic: WNW DH2: J.T.B. McCudden 29 Squadron: Plus Albatros  (Read 29863 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: WNW DH2: J.T.B. McCudden 29 Squadron: Plus Albatri
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2021, 01:41:36 AM »
I'm amazed at your building talents Rick.  Beautiful progress with sometimes
ornery Albi's.  Well done is a little tame but my admiration for your work isn't!

Cheers,
Ernie :)

As always you are too kind Ernie  ;D Thanks for following along!
RAGIII

All three look amazing already, Rick! Very neat and clean modelling and spot on colours, just lovely! Not too sure about jigs myself, it would be quite easy to work in some "tension" that could have nasty consequences later... but watching intently! Regards, Marc

Thanks Marc. I am not sure how the jig works yet but it can't be worse than MY shaky Fumbling hands  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2021, 04:04:46 AM »
That jig looks too complicated for me Rick. I think that I will stick with my jury-rigged systems - at least I have clear instructions to put them together....

Stephen.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2021, 06:09:56 AM »
That jig looks too complicated for me Rick. I think that I will stick with my jury-rigged systems - at least I have clear instructions to put them together....

Stephen.

I've got the original aeroclub jig; this is dead simple compared to that...

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »
I admire people who can do multiple builds. Very fine progress on all three participants! Good luck with the jig.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2021, 11:14:43 PM »
Missed this all together for some reason. ALL the builds are fabulous. I envy your production numbers!! You mentioned using X20A or lacquer thinner. Is that either/both of those in the Acrylic paint? I have found in the past lacquer thinner does work well with the acryls but I now use the AK Real Colours lacquer paint. The final coat is a flash coat which is 95% thinner and just a small hint of the colour. A bit scary at first but makes the paint shine like glass. I repeat the process with the clear coat.

Steve

Online RAGIII

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2021, 12:49:57 PM »

Stephen.

Thanks for commenting Stephen. I am Not sure I will Love using this tool. I am only Hoping it will allow Me to get difficult assemblies together and lined up !
RAGIII

Stephen.

I've got the original aeroclub jig; this is dead simple compared to that...

Yes it is a shame that the Aeroclub Jig is No Longer Available!
RAGIII

I admire people who can do multiple builds. Very fine progress on all three participants! Good luck with the jig.

Thank You for the Kind Comments. As for builds I wish I could Focus on One Detailed and clean build. I Just can't do do  8)
RAGIII

Missed this all together for some reason. ALL the builds are fabulous. I envy your production numbers!! You mentioned using X20A or lacquer thinner. Is that either/both of those in the Acrylic paint? I have found in the past lacquer thinner does work well with the acryls but I now use the AK Real Colours lacquer paint. The final coat is a flash coat which is 95% thinner and just a small hint of the colour. A bit scary at first but makes the paint shine like glass. I repeat the process with the clear coat.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I use either or but not mixed. It depends on if I have X20a in stock. I Use Paints I can get Locally, either a very small Hobby Shop or Hobby Lobby. So the Hobby Shop carries Tamiya Paints  and sometimes the X20 a thinner is in stock. If Not I use Lacquer thinner available from Many local stores. I would like to experiment with New brands, especially Lacquers but they all must be Mail Ordered.
RAGIII

So Now the jig is complete! It will take some experimentation to figure out how to get everything aligned properly!!!
RAGIII

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:57:53 PM by RAGIII »

Offline DaveB

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2021, 07:44:50 PM »
I'm liking how your DIII is starting to look, Rick.

That jig looks a bit complicated though ...........

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2021, 10:42:16 PM »
Looks like your jig has all the adjustments!
Did you have any particular problem areas with the D.III?
That will probably be my next WW1 build after a couple of sailplane builds.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2021, 01:28:48 AM »
Rick,

I like the 'wing locks' that go over the top of both wings.  That's a feature I hadn't seen before.  I may have to pick one of these up for when I get around to attempting a 1/32 bird.

Stuart

Offline petrov27

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2021, 02:02:03 AM »
Looks like they updated/changed that jig to add those wing lock things - interesting! Mine was slightly simpler

-Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2021, 09:25:50 AM »
I'm liking how your DIII is starting to look, Rick.

That jig looks a bit complicated though ...........

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave! Yes the jig is complicated but I think with some practice, which will probably include some unintended destruction, I will benefit by its' use  ::)
RAGIII

Looks like your jig has all the adjustments!
Did you have any particular problem areas with the D.III?
That will probably be my next WW1 build after a couple of sailplane builds.

I think that the wing to fuselage fit is the major issue Ken. I did better on the DII than I did on the DIII.
RAGIII

Looks like they updated/changed that jig to add those wing lock things - interesting! Mine was slightly simpler

Nice looking jig Patrick. Mine is the "EVO" version. One wonders if simpler is sometimes better  8)
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2021, 07:18:44 AM »
So not much progress but at least one inner bay has it's rigging finished. This has been a one step forward two step back sort of build. The other inner bay was almost done until I burnt through a couple of wires trying to tighten them  :-[

RAGIII

Offline DaveB

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2021, 08:06:01 PM »
So not much progress but at least one inner bay has it's rigging finished. This has been a one step forward two step back sort of build. The other inner bay was almost done until I burnt through a couple of wires trying to tighten them  :-[

RAGIII

Been there and done that many a time myself, Rick!!

Good progress on your DH2 though

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »
Thanks Dave! I hope to make some progress soon so I can post some new photos
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2021, 01:28:03 PM »
Just getting caught up on your progress Rick , really liking the Allbie so far , she looks fantastic ! DH-2 is coming along wonderfully as well . It's good encouragement to bring my build back up on the bench . Fastastic stuff Rick !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .