Author Topic: Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII - detail added  (Read 14228 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII - detail added
« on: July 20, 2021, 10:09:14 PM »
I am also building a SPAD like Rick, but unlike Rick's, mine will be detailed - at least as detailed as I can do it.  I believe this kit can be built into a very nice model, but it will take some work.  Typical Roden, in other words.
I had started mine a couple of weeks ago, so I am well into it.  I have just ordered a PE set from PART of Poland, which is for the SPAD VII, but there are many small fittings that can be used on the XIII.  Hopefully it will arrive without delaying this build.
I wanted a chicken on my SPAD   ::) so I have chosen to model a plane from SPA 48.  Fortunately, FFSMC makes a decal sheet that accommodates this.  I will depict Roques' plane pictured below:

I started with the engine.  I will be closing up the engine so it won't be showing, but I built it without detailing just to see what it would look like.
I found that the base of the engine cylinders were too big to fit into the base at the engine block, so I remade the base of the cylinders.  Hopefully, this does not make the cylinders too tall to fit under the cowling.  If they are, some grinding will be happening.

The engine doesn't look too bad.  I also remade some of the water / oil lines as some did not fit exactly where they should have.

I then started on the cockpit area. 

Wood grain was done with the usual oil paints.

I added latches on the ammunition boxes, scratched the rudder bar pivot and put wire loops on the rudder bar.  I didn't cut out the triangular openings above the rudder bar pivot.  Just getting this made seemed like a miracle so I didn't push it.

To get the engine to fit all the down against the mounts, I had to remove the bottom oil line.  This area will be covered by the bottom of the fuse.  I also notched the wing spar.

More in the next update.

Offline RichieW

Re: Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII - detail added
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 10:29:37 PM »
Great start Ken, I love the woodwork but your detail painting is extraordinary. I do like a biplane with a chicken on the side, following with interest!

Richie

PS I had another read through your Tommy scratch build yesterday. Wow!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 12:10:38 AM »
 :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 01:30:18 AM »
That is a nice start, I like the added details.
Beside Eduards American Eagles kit I have also another SPAD kit with the chicken option in my stash and have to build that marking for sure 8)

I will watch and learn!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 06:36:34 AM »
Good to have you along, Ritchie, Alexis, and Frank.

I have a few more pictures and another watchout.

I have the engine mounted and the cockpit detailed with some oil lines and stuff.

One watchout is around the aluminum side pieces, 4C and 7C and the bulk head 11A.  I don't know if I assembled the side pieces incorrectly, or if there is a design flaw, but the rear edge of the side piece should be inset from edge of the bulkhead.  I assembled them flush with the bulkhead edge.  I didn't realize this until I test fitted the fuse sides.  My fix was to grind off one of the ridges that form the slot for the bulkhead.  I think this will work fine.

Next I worked on the instrument shelf, shown here in progress.  I remade the instruments and control details.  I'm waiting for the PE set (for a SPAD VII) I ordered as it has a number of additional details that can be used.

This mostly catches up to where I am, but I have started working on the fuse sides.

Till next time...

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 02:43:48 PM »
Very nice start, I will follow and take your build as a guide to future building of the same kit.
Lovely woodgraining and engine work.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 11:30:37 PM »
Having had a heads up on this build I must say your work is Fantastic and I am glad you are now posting a build log! Looking forward to further updates.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 02:05:22 AM »
I find your wood effect to be very appealing to the eye , nice soft warm tones , perfect ! Details that you have added so far are top notch notable with the instruments  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline DaveB

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 11:51:57 PM »
Great progress, Ken -

I'm really glad yourself and Rick are working on this one as this is a good 'heads up' for when I eventually get round to building mine.

Watching with interest!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline kensar

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 02:19:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments, my friends.  I may have to slow down the building pace to wait for some PE parts to arrive.  In the meantime, oil paints are drying.

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 09:51:24 PM »
I have just ordered a PE set from PART of Poland, which is for the SPAD VII
Yesterday I found the SPAD PE set from Parts in 1/48 during looking for something different in my stash - that is a wonderful collection of nice little brass parts! I hope the 1/32 set is also that nice.
I think you will have fun with it.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline macsporran

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 01:23:27 AM »
Great progress Ken. Along with Rick's, I'll keep your excellent build log as a superior instruction manual for a future attempt myself. Lovely work to date.
Sandy

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 01:52:09 AM »
some lovely detail work going on here, the wood effect and gauges look superb

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 11:12:44 AM »
Stellar work Ken - as always with you  ;) Those instruments look positively real.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 08:09:34 AM »
Such beautiful details, I keep looking at the photos and finding something new to admire every time. There are just too many layers of beautifully executed modelling to take in with just one viewing!

Richie