Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Mosca-Bystritsky MB bis fighter  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: 1:32nd scale Mosca-Bystritsky MB bis fighter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 10:28:45 PM »
Oops!

Those are fragile looking parts Mike, but I'm sure that with your craftsmanship that won't be a problem.

Willem

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »
Hi all,
The fuselage of this model is constructed from six resin parts, which are the right side, left side, top forward panel, top rear of the fuselage, engine bulkhead and the underside.
The underside of the fuselage is a single piece, but the molding of this part is bad.
Not only is the part twisted and with air ‘blow’ holes, but the thickness of the molding is uneven, being thick on the right side and wafer thin on the left side.
This makes the underside of the fuselage virtually unusable.
Therefore I decide to discard this part and make the underside from 0.8 mm thick plastic card, with 0.2 mm thick plastic card strips to represented the linen tapes.

I've also decided not to make the kit supplied photo-etch cockpit, which I think is too flat and two-dimensional.
So that's the next step,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 08:28:35 AM »
Nice start Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 05:29:35 AM »
A great start and you are already working your magic on this one, Mike! A very interesting subject too! Do you think those decals are usable? Regards, Marc.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 08:02:50 AM »
A great start and you are already working your magic on this one, Mike! A very interesting subject too! Do you think those decals are usable? Regards, Marc.

Hi Marc,
The decals are typical from 'Omega' - not cookie cut and more like inkjet printed then sealed over the entire sheet.
I probably won't chance them so maybe I'll mask and airbrush instead.
We'll see,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 01:11:08 AM »
Hi all,
The cockpit is complete now.
I found the photo-etch cockpit parts supplied in the kit were too flat and two dimensional.
Therefore, apart from the compass, single instrument and seat straps, the rest were either scratch built or I used appropriate parts from my 'spares' box.
As there is no information on the cockpit detail for this aircraft, I suspect 'Omega Models' used some 'poetic license' creating there parts.
The cockpit frame work is 1.0 mm and 0.85 mm plastic rod.
The pilots seat is a resin 'Barracuda Studio' part, intended for the Sopwith Camel.
Frame cross bracing wires are 0.1 mm diameter blackened Nickel-Silver rod with 0.4 mm blackened Brass end fittings.
The hand priming pump is 0.6 mm tube, lead wire and plastic rod.
The throttle, although not I think strictly accurate, is from a Wingnut Wings Camel kit.
Rudder and elevator control lines are 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament with 0.4 mm blackened tube end fittings.
The linen paint is the MRP CDL lacquer and wood work is 'DecoArt' craft Burnt Umber acrylic.
Weathering is Flory Models' Dark Dirt wash.

I've now fitted the fuselage top rear decking and as our 'Des' found when he built this kit, it's 5 mm too short at the fuselage rear.
So filler needed,

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 03:57:12 AM »
Excellent interior Mike. Looks Terrific!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 02:41:30 AM »
Hi all,
I've fitted the top, rear of the fuselage and then filled the 5 mm gap at the rear of the fuselage.
I also sanded off the linen tapes on that and replaced them with sanded down 0.2 mm thick plastic card.

The kit supplies one photo-etch access panel for fitting to the forward, left side of the fuselage.
This panel was used to gain access to the fuselage internal components.
The few available photographs of this aircraft and subsequent colour profiles seem to show that some aircraft had this access panel fitted and some did not.
Those that did had the panels fitted into wood or metal fuselage panels (certainly not into just the fuselage linen covering).
Also, some profiles show the wood access panel to be fitted into either a plywood or metal covered forward fuselage.
However, all reference material shows only the left side of the aircraft, not the right side.
My assumption
I believe it’s probable that early versions of the aircraft had no forward fuselage side or access panel, but instead had just the fuselage linen covering.
On later versions it seems likely that the wood access panel was fitted and into fuselage forward side panels of metal, as used over the forward top of the fuselage and engine cowl.
It also seems probable that these panels were fitted to both sides of the aircraft, so  full access to fuselage internal components was possible.
I couldn't find any evidence to prove otherwise.
I scratched the fuselage side panels and access panel with hinges and lock plates from 0.2 mm thick plastic card.

Mike

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 03:47:27 AM »
Amazing! Stellar work, Mike! I love the cockpit and you don't miss a trick... the fuselage detailing is a tour de force - what a lesson! Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 05:02:36 AM »
Great research leading to a beautiful addition to the kit Mike!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »
Nice attention to the details Mike  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2021, 10:59:10 PM »
Hi all,
The underside of the fuselage had a 'V' strut, on which the wing warp controls were located.
Given the lack of detailed information for this aircraft, it's difficult to figure out exactly how these control were configured.
I believe the controls were configured as follows:
Two control cables from the rear bell cranks of the control column torsion bar, were routed vertically through the underside of the fuselage.
These cable were attached to a control lever at the bottom, rear of the V strut.
At the front of the V strut was a 'pulley' and control lever.
Wing warp control cables from both the 'pulley' and lever were attached to the rear spar of both wings.
Flying and landing wires were attached to another V strut towards the front of the fuselage underside.
All wires were routed above the wings to an inverted V strut forward from the cockpit.
The wing warp wires were routed over a pulley on the cockpit strut.

As the control column was moved left or right, the lower rear levers rotated the front pulley and lever.
This caused the trailing edge of the wings to twist either up or down, causing the aircraft to roll in the required direction.

So, based on this I scratch made the underside V strut assembly.
I used the two control levers from the kit.
The struts were 1.4 mm tube with 0.5 mm rod reinforcing.
Control mounting rod is 0.5 mm rod.
The pulley is a spare photo-etch propeller boss plate, secured onto 0.5 mm thick plastic card.
The lightening holes were drilled through using a 0.9 mm diameter drill.

Now it's onto the underside forward V strut,

Mike

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2021, 02:15:24 AM »
Hi all,
Also the forward V strut on the underside of the fuselage.
This was used for attaching the fixed flying and landing wires to the front spar of the wings.
The protruding 0.5 mm rods have a collar of 0.7 mm diameter added to retain the wires, when fitted.

Now onto the wing supports, the top V strut and machine gun support,

Mike

Offline FAf

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2021, 03:51:39 AM »
Sheer beauty!!! I can't say anything about your assumptions on pulleys and other things, but I'm sure you're correct. 😁
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2021, 04:26:38 AM »
More outstanding research and work Mike!
RAGIII