Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Mosca-Bystritsky MB bis fighter  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Mosca-Bystritsky MB bis fighter
« on: May 29, 2021, 01:46:21 AM »
Hi all,
I can't finish the Hansa-Brandenburg W.20 as I'm still waiting for the propeller.
Also I can't progress the Ponnier M.1 until I receive the replacement Lewis gun, so that I can modify the fuselage accordingly.
So I've started researching what will probably be the 'next' model, which will be the last of the problematic resin kits I have.

This model will represent a Mosca-Bystritsky MB bis fighter, flown by the Imperial Russian Air Force from 1916.
The Italian aircraft designer Francesco E. Mosca worked at the Russian Duks factory, along with Bezobrasov, Lerkhe and Yankovski.
The initial MB design, first flown in 1915, was a two-seat reconnaissance aircraft, similar to contemporary French Morane and Nieuport monoplanes.
During 1916, a smaller and faster single seat version was developed as the MB bis.
The MB bis was similar in construction to the MB, being constructed largely of wood with a linen covering.
The wings were mounted in the shoulder position with gaps between the wing roots and sides of the fuselage, which allowed for easier access to the cockpit and gave the pilot an improved field of view.
When being transported on the ground, the wings were folded to lie along the fuselage sides and the tail-planes were folded forward and upwards.
The aircraft used wing warping, rather than aileron control and was powered by a 80 hp (60 kW) Le Rhone 9C engine.
The armament consisted of a single 7.7 mm machine gun (type and make not known, but looks to be a Lewis variant).
The machine gun was mounted in one of two ways. The forward firing machine gun was fuselage mounted and fired through the arc of the propeller, which was fitted with deflector plates to prevent damaging the propeller.
Otherwise, the machine gun was mounted on the fuselage to fire either upwards and outside of the propeller arc, or was mounted parallel to the fuselage, similar to the earlier French Nieuport fighters, again to fire outside the arc of the propeller.
A total of 50 MB bis fighters were built up to 1918 and a few additional aircraft of this type were reportedly built after the revolution.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
Re: 1:32nd scale Mosca-Bystritsky MB bis fighter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 03:09:52 AM »
Interesting subject Mike, I must admit I've never come across it.
That doesn't mean it isn't interesting and exotic, looking forward to seeing you do your 'magic'..

Cheers: Kent

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 03:40:47 AM »
Another unique build to look forward to Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 03:49:18 AM »
Hi Mike,

Great choice! Cowling looks tricky...

I took a few quick snapshots with my cell phone from books. Maybe they are of interest to you.

If you want I can make high-res scans.

Machine gun could be a Colt also (see caption of 2nd picture).

Willem

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:54:03 AM by Rookie »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 04:16:14 AM »
Like Kent I have never heard of this type . It is rather cute looking to be honest ..pocket size ! Looking forward to your work on this one .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 04:50:54 AM »
Veeeery nice plane. The wings look very delicate with only those two tubes. I also like the tiny lower rudder. It would look great with spoked wheels like shown on Willems photos.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 06:04:08 AM »
Hi Willem,
Thanks for your offer, but I think I've got what I need.
The photographs you show, despite the text, looks to me like the aircraft is the original two seat reconnaissance MB.
Certainly the last photograph.
Also the cut-outs at the wing roots are much wider than that on the MB bis fighter version.
Finally the big give away is no machine gun.
The text is correct for the fighter version, but I think added to the MB aircraft photographs.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:21:33 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 03:11:02 PM »
This doesn't look it's gonna  be a walk in the park. I think you need all the  skills you got, but I'm sure you can do it

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 03:36:04 PM »
I see what you mean Mike.

I was in my mancave where I keep my books. Saw your first post on my phone, which doesn't show much details in the pictures. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

You are always doing meticulous research on your subjects and I'm sure this will be no exception.

I know you'll again have a great model to show us in the end!

Willem

Offline Matti

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 05:33:33 PM »
Very interesting project from unknown plane.

Offline Kamil Zoszak

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »
I'm waiting for any update... I have this plane from Retro kits.  Very poor quality with no instruction sheet. I will follow your work if you don't mind 8)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 06:24:17 PM »
Hi Kamil,
It will be a while before I start building, but you can look at the build 'Des' did,

Mike

https://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page45.html

Offline Kamil Zoszak

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 06:29:16 PM »
Thank you for this "share" . We will be in touch  8)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 09:22:05 PM »
Hi all,
Now that the Hansa-Brandenburg W.20 is finished it's time to start the resin Mosca from 'Omega'.
I sometimes wonder if the company is called 'Omega' because of the reaction modelers get when they open the box - 'OhMyG--'
As you can see, most of the resin, especially fuselage and wings is so thin in places it's virtually see-through.
The instructions are, to say the least, minimal.

Hey-Ho - I've built 'Omega' kits previously, so at least I know what I'm in for,

Mike

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »
The adventure begins ! ... :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .