Author Topic: DH2 1/72 Revell :-)  (Read 13607 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
DH2 1/72 Revell :-)
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »
Hallo everybody, here I am with my new build: Revell Airco DH 2 in 1/144 scale
The box says it’s a 144 and TBH that’s the reason why I took it off the shelf in the model shop round the corner, I wouldn’t make another 72 after the Albie W4… But when I opened and measured the wingspan …

AAAAAAARGH

I realized it’s another 72!!!!
But now the match has started and I must play!

So here is some pictures and information, and perhaps some questions to the experts!

Here is the box and the main sources from where I will take information and inspiration:

After some study I decided the version I will build is s/n. 6011 - flight C - 24th Squadron RFC, Bertangles, France, July 1916.
According to Windsock and also the instuction sheet Flight C had the outer struts painted in blue / white and the wheel discs in blue.
Many profiles depict this in red / white, but Les Rogers in his monumental book confirms the colours were Red for Flight A, Black for Flight B and Blue for Flight C.

I have seen pictures of the lane after it was captured by Germans and while Oswald Boelcke inspects it, several details are visibly different in those pictures and in the kit, here are some decisions I submit here for your validation:

4 blades Propeller in the photo / 2 blades in the kit: I realized the 4 blades prop was adopted for  DH2s, the pictures are dated Nov. 1916 while my version is dated July same year, therefore I assume the 2 blades prop can be a correct interpretation… (also because I don’t have a compatible 4 blades prop!)

The profile found in Ray Rimell publication shows the back outer strut in solid blue, but the picture shows it has 2 white stripes, what about the front outer strut?

24th Squadron invented the sawtooth pattern beneath the nacelle, and from the pictures it is clearly shown, so I’ll paint it, the colour of the teeth (according to Les Rogers) was either PC10 or Black, I’m not sure what colour to use, maybe PC10 would look more real in continuity with the other surfaces.

The tank which is set on the upper wing is shown clearly displaced on the left, while normally it was mounted at the center of the upper wing, I was not able to see how the tube connecting the tank to the nacelle (I suppose it ends in the engine…) goes.

I have found somewhere the design of pitot tube used for the DH2 where was it placed exactly?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:37:24 PM by andonio64 »

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: DH2 1/72 Revell :-(
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
Now let’s open the box: the kit is really dreadful, many flashes and moulding signs coming out of the plastic…

The cockpit is totally missing any detail… instead of the seat there is a sort of gangway seat divided in two parts…

I measured the real seat dimensions from the Windsock and made it using my graphic editor

Printed on thick paper, cut off

And glued with Elmers glue...

Here it is dry fitted in the nacelle while the astonished pilot stares at it.
As you can see the poor guy is affected by liquid retention and I regret to say he’ll get assigned to a non operational job...

I hope to finish this by the end of the year, because on January 1 on the Italian forum I am in (MAB) starts a Great War Campaign and I want to be in whithout anything pending on my bench!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:50:55 PM »
Let’s go further in exploring the sins of this kit

Underside of the upper wing: here are the notches where the tail booms will fit, too much similar to salami…

I took away the salami

Upper surface: I scribed the ailerons and created the center section joint lines
I filled the hole where the upper tank should have put, although the position is correct, the shape of the tank is totally wrong

Lower wing, same operation

Here is the tank, I imagine they have take nit from an old motorcycle, look at its real shape on the profile:

I build a tail using styrene

Filled the gap with putty and added details

Then I turn my attention to the cockpit clearing the useless extruded numbers, writings and molding signs

Cleared the absurd apron put on the MG opening

(I bought this Lewis on ebay to replace the shapeless worm provided by the kit)

I added some more details to the cockpit, the rudder bar handle is provisional

On the right the column where the MG will go, it is not finished yet. The black dot on the nose’s floor represents the position of the MG column behind which the rudder pedals will be placed

Here is a general view of the pieces done so far, on the cockpit side walls I glued some plasticard to simulate the wooden framework, I will glue the internal rigging after priming and painting them of course…

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:53:52 AM by andonio64 »

Offline Yorki1960

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
Great job.

I built on of these just for rigging practice. I would chang out the booms to something stronger as the kit ones snap over time as the alignment with the tail is not quite correct and puts a strain on the top boom.  I fixed the port side one then the starboard one snapped later.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »
Thanks Yorki for your advice, I'll keep it in mind!!!!
 8)

Offline Edo

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
Hei Antonio!
I really can't imagine how you manage to deal with such a small scale!!!
I'll follow you closely!
ciao
Edo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »
Andonio,
   I'm always impressed when someone takes on an inferior Kit and, through a lot of effort and skill, produces a great result. You are certainly enjoying a real challenge with this one however your results are impressive; looking forward to more as you craft this lump of plastic into a true winner!
   Nice work so far, and in a very small scale as well.
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »
Thanks, Lance and Edo, I agree with you about the scale, as I wrote in the post "incipit" I took for granted it was a 144 scale which would have meant just a few pieces to glue aand a few paintbrush strokes to have it in my showcase as a toy, but it is a 72, now I'll build it (She'll not win!) and set it aside my Albatros W4, I have just another base like the one I used for the German seaplane and make a good diptych. I swear is the last 72 I'll make, too small!!!
Nevertheless I have no problem in the quality of the kit, (I already made a SMER SVA5 which was as dreadful as this) I do my best when things get tough and I have fun in modifying them!

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Flip Hendrickx

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 04:20:43 AM »
Hi Antonio,
Great work on such a kit indeed and I'm sure you'll turn her into a beauty.
That machine gun looks great and very well detailed in such a small scale. What brand is it?

Cheers

Flip

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 07:47:57 AM »
Hi Flip, thanks for your appreciation, the MG is a Mini - world item, really great detail, I haven't yet received it will post some pics of the gun asap.
have a look here, I purchased it on ebay.
 :o

Offline Flip Hendrickx

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:02:10 AM »
Hi Antonio
Thanks for the link! Those machine guns are amazing. hard to believe it's 1/72 scale.
Have been thinking about tackling one of those 1/72 eduard kits. Sure will keep these guns in mind :-)

Cheers

Flip

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
Brilliant start, Antonio!  I wouldn't even be able to see the sprue tree, let alone the parts.  Those guns are amazing.  There's nothing like that in 1/48 scale.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
andonio64,
                  You're to be commended on taking on such as task as this old crate. I remember it from my youth, but I wouldn't be troubled by it now. You are storing up gold in modeling heaven by the charity you are showing this kit. ;)

Warren

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 04:42:23 PM »
andonio64,
                  You're to be commended on taking on such as task as this old crate. I remember it from my youth, but I wouldn't be troubled by it now. You are storing up gold in modeling heaven by the charity you are showing this kit. ;)

Warren

Warren, they already offered me a "San AnDonio" job up there, but I'm still too busy with sinning down here...
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
Excellent start on what appears to be a fairly difficult kit, the work you have done so far is very good and I look forward to seeing you progress with this one.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com