Author Topic: DH2 1/72 Revell :-)  (Read 13818 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: DH2 1/72 Revell :-(
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »
Thanks Warren, and thanks to Des as well for posting that link.
I already knew that document and I have been using it to get the most out of it.

I hope to make further steps tonight when I'll be back from work.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
Hallo everybody, here is progress I succeeded to make during these holidays:

- Seatbelts, copied after an Eduard PE fret I cut them from a tin toothpaste tube

- Upper part of the nacelle with the small holes ready to receive the rigging starting from there

- Sides of the nacelle, I tried to replicate on the inner sides of the cockpit the CDL stained by the PC 10 coating of the outside.

The two external sides appear to have a different shade of color but it was just because of an uneven lighting.
The one which on my monitor appears closer to the real effect is the darker one (right)

- Here is the cockpit floor, before the two sides are closed. I'll close them after I mount the Lewis MG stand and the dashboards.

Everything you see in the cockpit is scratch built.

Thanks for looking and I wish you all a beautiful 2013!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:25:40 AM by andonio64 »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »
Happy New Year, Antonio!  Outstanding progress.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
I tip my hat to you fellows modelling in 1/72 scale. Congratulations on your progress to date, especially that seatbelt assembly!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
  Antonio,
Wonderfull progress my old friend. I'm really enjoying following this excellent thread as the DH-2 is one of my favorites. Even more impressive to me is the scale of this latest project. DH-2's aren't known to be the easiest builds in the world and your chosen scale makes this one even more special. Keep up the outstanding progress.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »
Hallo and thanks everybody...
here are my latest development:

I prepared the surfaces for some preshading the bottom surfaces were primered in white to hold the CDL while the upper surfaces will be painted in PC10 and I will try a different way of getting the ribs enhanced.

"Half-dry" brush over the surfaces

Here is the tailpiece: the small dents that appear on the borders of the three colors are barely seen by the naked eye...
The fin and the rudder broke apart while handling them, I think there will be no problem in glueing them together again...
For the White field I used a Misterkit (Bianco sporco Regia Marina MK-RM09) off-white which I find great! In the picture it's not well appraisable

I am using it to paint the bottom of the nacelle.

I decide to leave open the back of the nacelle so there will be the possibility to see through where the oil tank was. Here is how the two tanks were housed.

Here's my solution (the top of the nacelle was just laid on the tanks).
I will glue them after installing the rigging cables departing from the nacelle.

This is the nose table through which the Lewis stand goes.
(the shaft will be shortened after the cockpit will be closed)

Two coats of PC10 and a slight sanding (1200 grain) of the tailplanes, I wanted to give the ribs some worn-out contrast... I drilled holes for the rigging and slots for the self made control horns ...

Here is the engine I'll try to reproduce.
The 9 cylinders are not easy to distribute symmetically on the circular structure....

During this week I should try to complete the engine and start painting the CDL.

Thanks for looking!

AnDonio

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:23 AM »
 Andonio,
Excellent update my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »

This is what I was able to accomplish tonight with the help of my lucky (9 pointed) star

I will paint it tomorrow and add the stems for the valves and the spark plug ignition wires
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:27:16 AM by andonio64 »

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
  Andonio,
Looking real good my old friend. I can't wait to see what the engine will look like once it's painted and all detailed up. Keep up with the outstanding works.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 03:45:21 AM »
Prop and engine finished:

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:14 AM »
Nice work, Antonio.  Quite an improvement over the kit engine.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »
Thanks Bud, I know the beams going to the cylinder valves are too thick, but at the moment I have no thinner plasticard rods so I had to prepare dinner with what I have in the fridge!!!

:-)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 01:22:15 AM »
A few steps ahead!

Here is the Lewis MG I purchased from Miniworld, it's a real jewel, and supplies also a micro PE fret for the ammunition drum handle and for different sights

I started creating the frame which holds it (I made some more but don't have pics yet)

This is the instrument panel made with APC decals

CDL on the lower surfaces

Decals and some attempt of wheathering

PC10 on the upper sufraces

I prepared the cables that come out of the nacelle here they are while hanged to dry

once dried glued them from inside the nacelle itself

some paint and dirty on the gravity tank

the wheels... I know the tyres are too thick, but at the moment I have nothing to replace them...
just some mud traces

I started working on the struts: from the picture taken at the Boelcke inspection of the captured 6011 it appears the outer back struts have this design, so I had to choose between two possible alternatives.
I chose the one indicated by the arrow, where I turned red into blue

here they are

here are the inner struts painted in battleship gray and with the half height marking

then I closed the sides of the nacelle but I had the front piece going out of the profile on the port side

it was easy to sand off the part coming out

but consequentially on the starboard alignment it stayed inside the side profile...

so I had to use putty and then sand ferociusly

On the bottom side of the nacelle I closed the gaps with a layer of CA glue, then I sanded.

The arrow indicates the starboard problem.
I have to close the top part of the nacelle with all its 12 cables then re-paint everything.

I hope to do some more work later this afternoon, by now that's all!

Ciao

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »
Hi friends,
I did not model a lot during last 2 weeks, neither I was often on the forums I follow, but made some advancements, mostly during this weekend...

Sawtooth pattern typical of No.24 Sq. painted beneath the nacelle. I also scratch built the compass fairing, then put in place the ailerons rigging below the lower wing as you cab see in the detailed view...

This pic aims at showing the compass fairing shape from the side

The great Oswald Boelcke is inspecting the captured 6011 : see sawtooth, compass fairing and outer rear strut painted in the banded pattern
Below are the outer struts painted

I had to correct the sides of the nacelle, which in the kit had a vertical edge instead of the real shape as shown by the red triangles here, I also added the wires as shown in white in the picture.

This is the curved sloped piece which appears beneath the engine in some pictures, I guess to take used oil and other rubbish out, scratch built.

This is the completed assembly. The 2 horizontal bars will hold the engine in place.

That's all by now, thanks for your attention

Ciao

Antonio

Offline mgunns

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 07:54:27 AM »
Hello Antonio:

Great work and progress on this kit.  I have to hand it to you for sticking to it.  I would have given up a long time ago, but you are making good progress and your abilities and craftsmanship are top notch. 
I like your analogy about supper and what is in the fridge.

Keep up the good work, and keep those pictures and color commentary coming.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....