Author Topic: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end  (Read 17895 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 13.5.21 Rotherham air pump
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2021, 07:28:27 AM »
Another incredible detail added. Awesome work as always Frank!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2021, 08:13:53 AM »
Tell us Frank, do you like leaving the rest of us without words to show how much we admire your skill? I have problems making a wind driven pump in 1/32 scale., never mind having the blades rotate!

That is incredible micro-engineering. Will you be building models in 1/144 scale in future?

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2021, 10:47:47 AM »
Thumbs up Frank !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »
Thank you Richie, Dave, Rick, Stephen and Alexis!

Wow, that is impressive micro engineering, it even spins!
Of course! ;D

Love the little wind driven fuel pump - wow!
Not fuel, but related to that. As a fuel pump would require two pipes the engineers at at time were clever: it it just a air pump which blows air into the fuel tank, the result is the same (fuel flow to the engine) but simpler and less risky.

Tell us Frank, do you like leaving the rest of us without words to show how much we admire your skill? I have problems making a wind driven pump in 1/32 scale., never mind having the blades rotate!

That is incredible micro-engineering. Will you be building models in 1/144 scale in future?
Stephen, the problem is the standard. Once you have done that on another aircraft (in this case on my Bristol Crocodile, see here. It shows the trick) you can't omit it on a later project. ::)

Here I used some Mahogany varnish to have a nice contrast to the strut.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Borsos

« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2021, 12:58:09 AM »
Impressive progress Frank! It softens my heart how much you care even for the weird and ugly. It’s nice to see that even this freak of an airplane gets your miraculous treatment…
Best regards,
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2021, 02:16:20 AM »
Welcome to the show Andreas and many thanks for your words!
It is may be ugly but at least seldom. I have never seen a built model of this type before. And I prefer prototypes and other rare aircraft over types seen a hundred times.

This build log comes to the end as the plane is nearly finished :)

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 14.5.21 Rigging
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2021, 05:33:25 AM »
Rigging

The next task was the work on the rigging.
After complaints I modified the angel of the tailplane, so that the control wire do not touch the tailplane. Then I glued the rudder in place and added the rigging of the tail.

Also on the bottom.

The rigging of the wings is complete too. Some are double wires.

To the front I added two Gaspatch turnbuckles of the type "One End" after careful drilling into the alu.

When I thought I was done I noticed the missing control cables on the ailerons, so I added a control horn and tried to find out the control wire layout.

I prepared the airscrew some postings ago, but now it is more ore less finalized. Only the decal and the prop boss are missing.

And again in a profile view.

The build is nearly finished. Some final mounting, some Weathering, may be after Brathering, and the final pictures could be done. With a bit of luck may be this weekend.
Wow, my first resin model nearly finished ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 14.5.21 Rigging
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2021, 06:20:25 AM »
This is truly impressive modelling Frank, well up to your usual stratospheric standard which I for one can only dream of.

PS I am like you in that I too like to build models of types which are rarely seen - hence my choice of subjects. It is pleasing to see another modeller also choosing unusual types.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2021, 07:35:50 AM »
The rigging is looking outstanding as expected Frank! The prop is exceptional!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
Great stuff Frank, I've enjoyed seeing this peculiar aircraft take shape. That prop is fantastic, no out of scale gigantic grain and perfect shape. Looking forward to the finished photos.

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »

It is may be ugly but at least seldom. I have never seen a built model of this type before. And I prefer prototypes and other rare aircraft over types seen a hundred times.

I totally agree with you Frank!

Willem

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2021, 08:56:56 PM »
Great work Frank. The rigging looks all in a straight line through the wings.  The prop looks awesome. Just an amazing build.

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2021, 01:43:37 AM »
Thank you Stephen, Rick, Richie, Willem and Ferry!

The end

Today I mounted the engine, cowling and bolted the airscrew to the engine. Beside a prop boss from Part I used some brass pipe pieces and nickel silver wire.

The same in front view. The wheels are also on. So that is the last picture.

Well, my friends, this build log is finished. That means I build my first resin model in 1 month and 10 days :D That is may be not my master piece, at least compared to the Bristol Fighter and the Halberstadt, but it is a nice and never seen model for the cabinet. It took some effort to make all the wood and metal parts, but it helped to create a unique subject.
The final light tent pictures will be done this evening.

I hope the build report has entertained some of you. Many thanks for the constructive comments and support!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2021, 01:50:45 AM »

I hope the build report has entertained some of you. Many thanks for the constructive comments and support!

Cheers,
Frank
[/quote]

Entertained and amazed us Frank, it's always a pleasure to follow your builds. Looking forward to seeing the light tent photos. Congratulations on your unique model and first resin kit!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2021, 03:39:15 AM »
I am always entertained by your builds Frank! Superb isn't saying enough!
RAGIII