Author Topic: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end  (Read 17885 times)

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end
« on: April 06, 2021, 05:51:13 AM »
Clerget 9Z

After the finish of my Halberstadt I had a little motivation hole. I poked here and there in the parts of the existing projects and made some progress, but the spark didn't take. There was also nice weather and the spring started ...

So finally I pulled a new Small Stuff package out of the stash and build a Clerget 9Z 110 hp (the kit allows a 9B 130 hp or the 9Z) 

With the ignition wires you see here exact 90 parts! That's more parts than my airplane kits usually have!

The first main parts. You have to take special care for the valve lifter mounts to not break them during mounting process.

Painted with Alclad Alu, Exhaust manifold on the heads, Hot metal sepia. As last step the 18 ignition wires are added here.

A light wash with oil paint, looks very prominent.

Here I used a polarising filter in front of the lens. This is more the real look, the wash is less obvious.

In comparison to the kit engine:

On the back side of the kit resin there are also the intake pipes, but ....
On the back of my engine you can see the bearing for easy rotation. 

Now there are certainly the wildest speculations about what type of aircraft could be behind it 8)

Cheers,
Frank
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:43:59 AM by Bughunter »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Clerget 9Z, 1/48
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 05:55:37 AM »
Superb work on the Engine Frank. Your painting is amazing as are the details! You have wanted to build a DR1 so I guess Jacobs bird is on the way  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:17:09 AM »
Phew, you’re back Frank.. I was getting worried!

Superb engine work! I too am wondering what you are going to mount it to!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 08:00:51 AM »
Thank you Rick and Guy!

I was getting worried!
That's sweet that you cared. In today's fast-moving times, this has unfortunately become unusual.

No Rick, no Dr.I :-\ (I was not even aware, that there there was a Clerget Dr.I)

I too am wondering what you are going to mount it to!
Surprise, surprise ;)
As you can guess form the shown kit "engine" I will try to tackle my first resin kit! Let's see ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:29:47 AM »
Really nice job!

I just had a couple of these delivered in the mail along with the 7 and 9 cylinder Gnomes.  I looked in the bags and saw how small everything was and thought to my self, I need stronger lenses on my Optivisor.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »
Cool , Frank is going to be building a resin kit !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:08 PM »
I Look forward to seeing your Magic on a resin build Frank!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 01:22:00 AM »
As usual you have worked your magic on a super kit and turned it inot something even better.

The Small Stuff engines really are the bees knees when it comes to AM parts - they could easily be left as stand alone models in the own right.

I may be late but I too was wondering where you had got to - just glad to see you back and firing on all cylinders!  BTW I too know about being in a dip - had quite a few of those lately, especially after I have finished a project.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 03:08:56 AM »
Also a warm welcome to the show Hugh, Alexis and Stephen!

I just had a couple of these delivered in the mail along with the 7 and 9 cylinder Gnomes.  I looked in the bags and saw how small everything was and thought to my self, I need stronger lenses on my Optivisor.
Yes, due to my macro lens the Small Stuff rotaries looks big and shows nice details, but in real they are very very small - even in 1/48.
Hugh, if you not have build one yet I strongly recommend to follow the detailed build description on the Small Stuff page (link on the page and on every manual sheet provided with the kit).
This was number 15 (or something like that) so far in 1/48 and one in 1/72.

The Small Stuff engines really are the bees knees when it comes to AM parts - they could easily be left as stand alone models in the own right.
You are right Stephen, that are simply the best resin kits I know, great quality and well engineered!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 03:37:08 AM »
Lovely engine, Frank! But waaay beyond my ability! Great to see something so well made, so detailed and the colours are fantastic! Regards, Marc.

Bughunter

Clerget 9Z and Cockpit, 1/48
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 03:43:34 AM »
Thanks and Welcome, Marc!

Cockpit

Now I'm a owner of a new veneer of the wood "Indischer Apfel" (German), which means "indian apple", but I think the wood is also called Tineo.
It is dark red, with nearly black lines. I thought it could be used to look like mahogany, because real mahogany has openings and a structure so it can't be used for modeling in small scale.

I used the new veneer for cockpit structure, because I do not like to clean up very hard and brittle resin parts.
It is totally unclear to me if this is correct or not, but there are only some pictures of this rare bird available and no cockpit pictures at all. May be the kit manufacturer had some info, so I made it at least not more wrong.

Mounted into the fuselage, only the floor is not yet fixed. The instruments are from a Eduard set.

Soldered a control stick (the resin one was broken and a simple stick, which is may be wrong for that time) and a rudder control bar.

And all parts in place.

Since this was a British aircraft I don't like the simple kit seat and soldered a wicker seat from 3 parts of a Part set for the Camel.

After painting it tan I tried to show the structure with oil paint. At first with yellow ochre, it looked like a wicker seat with clear coat applied, but the structure was not noticeable.
So a second try with golden ochre, I think this is it. Only the edge will be painted leather.

Even fabric seat belts from HGW are mostly done, but I have to wait for the oil paint hardening to be able to close the fuselage!  :-\

Some of you may now guess the type, but with the next update I will unravel the mystery 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Clerget 9Z and Cockpit, 1/48
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 05:17:11 AM »
So, you are still not building a resin kit, but a scratchbuild!

I have no idea what plane this is. A Spitfire?   ;D

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 05:42:40 AM »
Bristol Scout?

(Clutching at straws...)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 10:30:09 AM »
Bristol Scout?

(Clutching at straws...)

Guy

Not with that Engine, but I'm stumped.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
Really nice work on crafting the new cockpit parts . I must admit though Frank ...those are some real crude resin parts !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .