Author Topic: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end  (Read 17750 times)

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 7.4.21 Cowling
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 06:14:33 AM »
Ok, one more wing then Rick expected! This one will be a

Wight Quadruplane  

There are not much references about this aircraft available, and most of the pictures in a somehow bad quality, scanned from books etc.
But I found the pictures in great quality and even unknown (to me) pictures in the collections of the Imperial War Museum iwm.org.uk
But the best quality can only be viewed and not downloaded.

The National Library of Australia has another nice picture.
https://nla.gov.au:443/tarkine/nla.obj-144915317

A nice story about the development can be found here:
https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Braas/13781.htm

My Quadruplane will be done from a resin kit by SPIN Models, it will be the second/final version after modifications.

Cowling

The kit cowling in resin was big enough to put the Clerget in, but only on the back because the cowling tapers towards the front. To thin it was no help.
So I turned a new one from alu.

The new cowling is only 0,36mm thin.

I wanted also to show the very wide opening on the front, here a low quality version of a iwm.ork.uk picture:

And here my interpretation, all plugged together for demo. The Clerget is able to rotate.

I like the cowling, even it was some effort to create it.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 7.4.21 Cowling
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 06:20:42 AM »
Some simply masterful scratchbuilding of that cowling, Frank! It looks quite superb! I am watching with great interest now! ATB, Marc.

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:49 AM »
What an intriguing subject.  Spin models were certainly thinking outside the box when they decided to kit this one.

I like single prototype subjects.  One of my bucket list machines is a prototype (only three built) known as the Gloster Gorcock. 

Nice cowl BTW.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 11:24:49 AM »
Perfekte Arbeit an der Motorhaube Frank  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »
Ah of course, the old Wight Quadruplane, obvious really :P

That’s going to look stunning Frank! Love the cowl. I really must get a lathe...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 10:39:52 PM »
Nice work on the cowling.  It will show off the nice work on the engine.
I never would have guessed a Wight Quadruplane ( I've never heard of one).

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 11:16:04 PM »
Beautiful work on the cowling Frank! The engine looks awesome inside of that Beauty! Certainly will be an unusual aircraft in the case when this one is finished  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 12:50:34 AM »
Thank you Marc, Hugh, Alexis, Guy, Ken and Rick!

What an intriguing subject.  Spin models were certainly thinking outside the box when they decided to kit this one.
As far as I know this is the only kit in 1/48, but according to Scalemates there are also kits in 1/72 and even in 1/144:
https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=57131

According to Wikipedia there is also a non-flying replica in a museum, but the first version (that is a bit different with fairing around the struts, wheels in the lowest wing ...).

I like single prototype subjects.
Yes, me too. And especially the aircrafts of the "Triplemania", like my Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane experimental.
My book "German Aircraft of World War I" lists 500 types, and many of them was only build once. During my search on the mentioned IWM pages I found also another interesting one: the german Naglo D.II single-seat quadruplane fighter (here a low res preview)

I really must get a lathe...
Guy, I must admit that this is not a toy! The forces are possible even on small machines are unbelievable! This really makes sense that operating a lathe and milling machines is a profession in itself.

Nice work on the cowling.  It will show off the nice work on the engine.
Oh yes, this one is the opposite of the Deperdussin Monocoque with it's small viewing slot to the Lambda-Lambda ;)

I never would have guessed a Wight Quadruplane ( I've never heard of one).
I checked Wikipedia, but only the 7Z and 9B pages have a list of aircrafts, not the 9Z. So that also do not help solving the little riddle ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerget_aircraft_engines

Certainly will be an unusual aircraft in the case when this one is finished  8)
You hope it will not end as shelf-queen?  ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 02:27:32 AM »
That engine looks magnificent! The plane looks a bit................odd but with this engine and cowling it can't go wrong.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 03:41:29 AM »
Super cowling and cockpit details Frank - as Richard has written you are really scratch building this model.

I knew of the Wright Quadruplane as it is in one of the few reference books that I have which includes these prototypes, but I had forgotten about it completely. An excellent choice as I am in favour of  anything a bit unusual which appeals to my strange interests. Can we expect to see a Siemens Schuckert DDr 1 in future?

Stephen.

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, 8.4.21 Wing Question
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 04:53:11 AM »
Thank you my friends!

I knew of the Wright Quadruplane as it is in one of the few reference books that I have which includes these prototypes
Stephen, do you know which one? Is there something interesting in, or only the known pictures?

Can we expect to see a Siemens Schuckert DDr 1 in future?
At least I own now the SPIN kit. So this depends a bit on the result of this project. If all goes ok, yes, one day far away in the future (I have so may interesting kits around me, I could start every day a new one ...)

And now with a hopefully interesting question!

The four wings - I broke accidentally the second lower one. Please note the line in the middle of the wings.

In a profile view a special shaped upper surface of the wings is more obvious.

The article https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Braas/13781.htm mentions:
"All four wings had the typical Wight double-camber airfoil section."

The only picture I found showing a upper surface of a wing is this one:
(The pic is out of copyright, but I don't find a way to linked it here, it can only be viewed/downloaded).
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-144915317/view
Please see the upper surface of the lowest wing.

So is SPIN right here?
Does anyone know about this "Wight double-camber airfoil section"?

Thanks,
Frank

Bughunter

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 8.4.21 Wing Question
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 06:45:46 AM »
The article mentioned also Wight seaplanes so I made a search for those to find more "typical Wight" wings, and yes, it really looks like two profiles one after another.

So I will use the wings as provided.
This was completely new to me.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 09:04:34 AM »
I am no expert in wing airfoils but I do like your painting  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 09:12:39 AM »
Yes, that's a strange characteristic.  I guess back then, only 12 or so years after the first successful powered flight, aircraft designers were trying anything and everything.

I did note that this particular prototype suffered from particularly bad aerodynamics; lots of drag for no discernible increase in lift.  This was obvious to me when I saw the three view and noted that the main planes were not staggered.  So each wing would interfere with the one above or below.

Maybe Wight were trying to combat this with their "double camber" which might have reduced the amplitude of the high and low pressure waves (the primary reason most Biplanes had staggered wings).  But I can see that this would have meant that the double camber was also not very efficient as a lifting airfoil.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »
Frank ,

The wing which broke are you planning on cutting the other wing off . Mounting the center section from that wing and pinning the wings ? This will give it more strength ...

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .