Author Topic: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end  (Read 17930 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 8.4.21 Wing Question
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 10:14:57 PM »
Thanks for showing the airfoil.  I was curious about the double camber airfoil, but could not find anything on it.  I suspect in the end it functioned like a single cambered airfoil, so it was abandoned by aircraft designers.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2021, 01:23:05 AM »
Frank - just catching up on your build. Absolutely incredible work, especially the engine and cowling.
Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2021, 02:46:37 AM »
I am no expert in wing airfoils but I do like your painting  ;D
??? Rick, I'm confused now? There is no linen paint, the wings shows the resin color of this hard and yellow kind used by SPIN.

Mounting the center section from that wing and pinning the wings ? This will give it more strength ...
Thanks Alexis, that is my plan.
The wing should have a light V shape, but was straight.

Thanks Ken and Hugh!
I let the shape of the wings as it is. At first I was shocked and thought this was a quality problem or something like that, so I made some research. With a very interesting and unexpected outcome ;)

Thanks Gary and welcome to the show!

The fuselage is closed now  8)

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 10.4.21 Fuselage
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 03:31:16 AM »
Fuselage

After the oil paint has hardened I painted a leather stripe, added struts and the prepared HGW seat belts.

The seat is in place. A light wash was also done so the fuselage is prepared to be closed.

The fuselage halves are glued together. I made the front thicker using Evergreen stripes.

With luck the cowling has a tight perfect fit, without sanding.

I do not like the resin struts. The long one going through completely, but I will do individual struts, with a smaller shape at the end so it matches the original pictures.
Now I need to prepare 24 wooden struts Why don't I build a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter?

If I don't show up for the next few weeks, don't worry. I'll probably still be grinding on the struts ::)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2021, 03:53:50 AM »
We feel your plane...I mean pain.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2021, 04:08:21 AM »
Moving along really well Frank . I would replace the struts as well and good luck with the shaping of them ...thats a fair bit !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2021, 11:28:10 AM »
You are making great progress Frank! I will try not to complain about the 6 or 8 I have to do for the RFC SPAD when I get back to it  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 03:26:41 AM »
The seat is looking real nice. Good luck with the struts.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 06:24:14 AM »
I have written this before Frank: with all of those struts to make and the beautiful cowling, it would have been nearly as quick to scratch build the whole thing!

The cowling and wood struts will really give this a special look.

Stephen.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »
Another fantastic project of yours. The engine from Small Stuff is spectacular on its own but your paintwork brought it to yet higher level. The interior with wooden bits is one more gem. And thst cowling... Great modeling!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 06:52:06 PM »
We feel your plane...I mean pain.

I see what you did there Ken  ;D

Lovely job Frank, you mentioned “With luck the cowling has a tight perfect fit, without sanding”.... Methinks that wasn’t just down to luck...  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RichieW

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2021, 10:36:08 PM »
Wow Frank, that engine and alu cowling you have made are beautiful. Love how you made your own wooden interior parts too, hope yo don't mind if I try to steal a few ideas, this is inspirational stuff! Very much looking forward to seeing all the struts. I have no ideas about fixing the wing but I know you will, I've seen enough of your work to know you won't be beaten! :)

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 14.4.21 Which resin primer?
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2021, 05:45:14 AM »
Thank you for your support Ken, Alexis, Rick, Ferry, Stephen, PrzemoL, Guy and Richie!
I'm not yet done with the struts ...

But I made some progress, here without glue.

I wanted to put the struts with thinner ends and brass pins into the bigger wing holes, but this doesn't work in a controlled way.

After I checked the full resolution pictures again I noticed, that there are bolts visible on the other side of the wings and also some metal mounts can be seen on every strut.
So I drilled to the wings and glued 0.6mm nickel silver micro tubing pieces into it. Again a lot of work.

I filled also the big going through the wing holes and put there also those tubes.
So now the struts are sits safely with 0.4mm brass pinned and it looks nice.
But I had to shorten the struts again!

And now the reason for my post, again a question.
That hard yellow resin is not bad for sanding after glueing with CA - both have the same strength.
But I have a bad experience with priming this. It has such a smooth, waxy surface (yes it is cleaned) that paint literally rolls off. My trusty Alclad primer (which bites or etches into plastic) was not very successful.
This was the result of masking during my Sopwith Triplane project (I used then a plastic part).

I know, that Ken has build glider kits from SPIN. Ken, what have you used?
There is or was a special resin primer from Gunze, but I can't find that product in a shop.
I prefer a airbrush product over a rattle can.

Thanks,
Frank

Offline RichieW

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 10.4.21 Which resin primer?
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2021, 06:21:52 AM »
Hi Frank, I'm taking notes on how you've done the struts. Utterly precise as ever!

Is the primer you're thinking of Mr. Finishing Surfacer? It can be thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner and airbrushed. I used it once and was very impressed.

Cheers
Richie

Bughunter

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 10.4.21 Which resin primer?
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2021, 07:02:04 AM »
I don't know how the Finishing surfacer would work on resin.
I mean this special one, but not available at the moment here, only "out of stock" messages.

A good normal primer is able to bite or etch into the plastic, but the solvents used for that do not work on resin.

Cheers,
Frank