Author Topic: Lukgraph 1/32 scale Friedrichshafen FF.33L on the way  (Read 10532 times)

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: Lukgraph 1/32 scale Friedrichshafen FF.33L on the way
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 09:52:42 PM »
Ditto. Yeah!

Kent
Ready made floats as well  ;D

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2021, 08:23:52 AM »
Apparently I am the first one to get this new kit from Lukgraph. So let me present my first impressions from the opening of Polish version boxing.

The kit is solidly packed in a cardboard box with a great cover adorned by the striking commission work by one of Polish most renown military-subject artists - Jarosław Wróbel, especially famous for his recent works on Polish Naval Aviation. All secured in a huge string bag.

Inside the elements are grouped in smaller string bags

The PE fret, decals and dry decal with instrument panels (including one spare just in case you err in cutting it off with scissors)

Instruction booklet of usual Lukgraph style, seemingly the same for both German and Polish boxings, the latter with an extra sheet depicting the colour scheme. This one is up to date with the most recent agreement on the colours of the only Polish FF33L - White "9". Well, with one exception, the upper wing tips had the original German crosses overpainted with a colour darker than the overall used middle grey - possibly the dark grey or black which was also used to paint the floats and the struts.

The engine is a jewel. My only complaint is that it is complete and thus the painting will require some serious thinking. I suppose I will try to delicately cut out some elements, the valve push rods definitely. Generally removal of the 3D bits requires special care because the material is relatively hard and brittle - the kit instruction itself suggests using the razor saw. Me, I used also the pure razor, thinner than the saw, and with some care successfully detached all the bits from the printing trees.

This last photo shows that at some spots, as the top front of the engine block, there are some traces of 3D printing. Again, the kit instruction itself advices to use a primer and to sand these traces if necessary. IMHO some places will definitely require such treatment.

The fuselage in two halves is taped together as per usual Lukgraph practice. It has some great surface details, including the traces of internal structure pressing from below the linen.

The last photo just shows a few air bubbles at the fuse bottom surface, for a moment hidden under it but with some sanding which will surely be necessary after fuselage assembly, they may unearth. Still, my verdict is that the quality of resin is much much higher in Lukgraph kits now then is was some time ago.

Some bubbles are also present in struts. On the positive - each of the struts is armed with wire and this time they all have the casting trees with clear strut designation - a very useful and welcome touch by the producer as it sigificantly facilitates sorting these.

The wire popping at the strut ends can be cut to just enter the mounting holes. The latter are clearly marked at the fuselage, wings and floats but they will surely require some careful drilling at correct angles - possibly the most difficult aspect of the assembly.

The floats are solid resin blocks. They will add to the total mass of the model but they should also enhace its stability by lowering the mass centre. Also, this approach goes clearly towards simplicity of assembly.

The wings are probably the weakest part in the entire overly high quality model. In my opinion the rib structure is overdone but it is of course very personal opinion, others may have different views. Also in my copy the upper wings are delicately sagged. Theoretically with resin repair of this  should not be a problem with some heat applied. But here the wings are reinforced with the wire and it just may be a little bit more difficult, possibly one attempt may not be enough. The lower wings are as flat as they should be.

And finally the beaching gear with nicely done wood plank surface of the carts.

All together a very much welcome release from Lukgraph. I have already mentioned elsewhere, that today I felt as if Santa Claus came to my door with a gift well off Christmas. My joy to get this gift can only be compared with that thrill I felt 6 years ago when the postman brought to me that enormous box with WNW Felixstowe. Me, I have been waiting for a 32nd scale model of any of floatplanes used in Polish Naval Base in Puck in early 1920s. Today my long dreamt dream is fulfilled - thank you Łukasz Sznajder - you are the real Santa for me!
Needless to say - the kit goes right now to my bench.
And yes, if you ask me, I do strongly recommend it to everyone. Do not be afraid of resin!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »
It really is an impressive kit and I think Kent will be a little on the envy side .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2021, 05:39:53 PM »
It really is an impressive kit and I think Kent will be a little on the envy side .

Alexis

Yes, the kit IS impressive.
As for Kent, I hope he will not be envious. I am sure the Danish post does its best to bring his FF33L as soon as possible to his doorstep. But even if he does I expect that out of that envy he will build it to such a high standard that we will all be on the profit side being able to admire his model!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2021, 12:28:54 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post your review, Prze. Very interesting indeed, and I can see your passion for the new kit. To be able to start on it is great - you'll be spending a lot of time at the model bench this coming weekend, I take it?  ;)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2021, 01:39:16 AM »

Alexis

As for Kent, I hope he will not be envious. I am sure the Danish post does its best to bring his FF33L as soon as possible to his doorstep. But even if he does I expect that out of that envy he will build it to such a high standard that we will all be on the profit side being able to admire his model!

You are too kind, and modest PrzemoL. I love to have you getting ahead, watching and learning how you are going to tackle the FF.33 L.

Btw: The delay gives me a chance to do the rail car base before the kit arrives...

Kent

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2021, 08:36:47 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post your review, Prze. Very interesting indeed, and I can see your passion for the new kit. To be able to start on it is great - you'll be spending a lot of time at the model bench this coming weekend, I take it?  ;)
Cheers,
Gary

My pleasure Gary, I am very happy that I could share my joy with you. And yes, I will certainly spend some time over the weekend working on the kit elements.

Alexis

You are too kind, and modest PrzemoL. I love to have you getting ahead, watching and learning how you are going to tackle the FF.33 L.

Btw: The delay gives me a chance to do the rail car base before the kit arrives...

Kent

Kent, I will gladly trace the route, especially that I am sure you will again stun us with another masterpiece, on the railway car!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:29:08 AM by PrzemoL »

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 07:47:25 PM »
Hi all,
Just awaiting the arrival of mine.
I see the reinforcing rods in the struts are close to, if not exposed, at the leading edges of the struts.
I found this to be the same for the struts of the Sopwith Baby float plane.
I guess the rods are the maximum diameter that could be added in the strut moulds, which is good.
Just some careful handling will, I think, be required to avoid 'break away' of the surrounding resin.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 07:58:26 PM »
Hi all,
Just awaiting the arrival of mine.
I see the reinforcing rods in the struts are close to, if not exposed, at the leading edges of the struts.
I found this to be the same for the struts of the Sopwith Baby float plane.
I guess the rods are the maximum diameter that could be added in the strut moulds, which is good.
Just some careful handling will, I think, be required to avoid 'break away' of the surrounding resin.

Mike

Yes, you are right. Probably some repairs with CA glue will be necessary here. I will be reporting when I get to this point with my build. Still, it is nothing unusual, IMHO. Better to have these wires than  later see the creep deformation of pure resin :)

Offline janh

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2021, 03:55:41 AM »
i live in the Netherlands, my kit arrived today. it's the German version and as Prze already indicated, the parts are identical save the tailpiece. included are several sheets of linen decal, and plywood in a dark an a light version which bear a strong Aviattic resemblance: same size and "feel" i suspect RWA had a hand in this. the other sheet has he crosses and serials and 2 identical instrument panels . The riggin laiyout will be a challenge to put it mildly

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2021, 02:25:19 AM »
Hi all,
My kit arrived today in the UK,

Mike

Offline James

Lukgraph 1/32 scale Friedrichshafen FF.33L on the way
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2021, 03:00:54 AM »
Nice. Still waiting on mine to ship.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Europapete

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2021, 09:43:38 PM »
Hopefully mine is on it's way to Rhode Island. I got a Gmail notice from Lukgraph but it's all in Polish! so I have no clue what it says, lol. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
Hopefully mine is on it's way to Rhode Island. I got a Gmail notice from Lukgraph but it's all in Polish! so I have no clue what it says, lol. Regards, Pete in RI

I will be glad to translate the notice into English if you send me the text - to PM for example.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »
Copy the email and paste it into 'Detect Language'.
Select translate to English to read.
You can do it in reverse to reply in correct language.

Mike

https://translate.google.com/