Author Topic: Roden SPAD VII 19 Sq. RFC 1/32nd scale:SPAD VII Lafayette:Nieuport 28 94th Aero  (Read 46205 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Roden SPAD VII 19 Squadron RFC 1/32nd scale: Plus SPAD VII Lafayette
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2021, 10:32:25 AM »
The markings sure dress up the plane.  They look good and don't have to be perfect - the originals were hand painted.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2021, 09:38:08 PM »
The markings sure dress up the plane.  They look good and don't have to be perfect - the originals were hand painted.

Thanks Ken. I would agree perfect is not always correct. In the case of the red, white, and blue band they are just too far off to not be corrected. I will get it done soon  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2021, 02:41:05 AM »
I'm in hangover mode so ...what do you mean by ..( too far off ) ?

They look pretty good from this view  8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2021, 03:05:40 AM »
I'm in hangover mode so ...what do you mean by ..( too far off ) ?

They look pretty good from this view  8)

Alexis

Your eyesight is fuzzy so I guess you will just have to trust My Judgement  ;D
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2021, 03:07:26 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alexis

All fixed now Alexis! I took Kens advice...it isn't perfect but it is at a level I can accept  8)
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2021, 12:03:45 AM »
I couldn't get to sleep last night so figured I would mask the nose of the SPA 124 SPAD prior to airbrushing the red. After masking the basic outline I began to think about how difficult it would be to paint between the gear legs and how much more masking I needed to do  ::) So I pulled out a Hairy Stick and the Valejo red I had mixed for the roundels. The results are pleasing to My eyes. Valejo hand brushes quite nicely. I also used the blue and painted the fittings.

RAG!!!

PS: The Indian Head is from the Pheon Lafayette Sheet.

Both in their current state. Next up weathering:

and...what happens when you aren't paying attention! I was using several references. When I started painting the band on the RFC bird I picked up the Osprey Book to verify the order of colors. I thought I was doing the one in the SPAD VII aces book but Nope not the same one. So now I either repaint or bother Bob Von Buckles to do another Mask for the serial. Note this one is B 1537:

and... the one I have the mask for the serial # is  1627

I don't Know why the colors are reversed. Perhaps denoting different flights?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2021, 12:53:21 AM »
Hey there Mr. Sleepless ,

Not sure what to say about your ref's there Rick , but could this be an error from the printers ? I just find it weird that the sqd would reverse their unit markings .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2021, 01:00:07 AM »
Hey there Mr. Sleepless ,

Not sure what to say about your ref's there Rick , but could this be an error from the printers ? I just find it weird that the sqd would reverse their unit markings .

Alexis

It could be Alexis but several sources show the reversed colors. I have NO PHOTOS showing this scheme! I have to therefore "ASSUME" that for some reason they were indeed reversed  ::) 19 Squadron did change up markings quite often. Also like I said it could be a flight thing. ?????
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2021, 02:35:30 AM »
Rick, those look marvelous!  Your painting is really quite good.  I just remembered that I have at least a pair of these kits somewhere in storage, and you're providing both inspiration and a great roadmap! ;D  I am still amazed at how much you get done in such a short time frame, and so well.  Outstanding accomplishment, my friend!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2021, 04:54:44 AM »
Rick, those look marvelous!  Your painting is really quite good.  I just remembered that I have at least a pair of these kits somewhere in storage, and you're providing both inspiration and a great roadmap! ;D  I am still amazed at how much you get done in such a short time frame, and so well.  Outstanding accomplishment, my friend!

Best regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob. Your comments are appreciated. I have Always enjoyed the painting process more than the building. Probably why I tend to let some things go that I shouldn't during the building process  ::)  The kit is challenging as I have said but if you have one( or two)  ::) go for it! The results can be terrific. I hope My luck with these two continues to hold up!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2021, 05:06:02 AM »
The painting on both models is first class Rick. I simply cannot see why you are concerned with either model, (except of course the order of colours on the fuselage bands: I am referring to the quality of the painting). There is nothing wrong with a hairy stick for applying paint - I use them all the time!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2021, 05:15:36 AM »
The painting on both models is first class Rick. I simply cannot see why you are concerned with either model, (except of course the order of colours on the fuselage bands: I am referring to the quality of the painting). There is nothing wrong with a hairy stick for applying paint - I use them all the time!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. I fixed what concerned me on the RFC bird ( except the order of those colours  ;D) Like I said I am actually quite pleased with the hand painted nose! To My eye it is as smooth as the airbrushed colors  8)
RAGIII

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2021, 08:58:18 PM »
Both of these look fantastic!! The hand painted cowling looks perfect to me. Maybe the crew chief painting the plane was colorblind and got his reds and blues mixed up... This definitely makes me want to break out one of my Spads and start another project...

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2021, 11:46:32 PM »
Rick, I forgot to ask--Did you use Vallejo Model Color red or Model Air red for the brush-painted cowl?  Any thinning in either case?  What size and shape brush?  Just curious, for future reference.  Thanks.

Best,

Bob