Author Topic: Roden SPAD VII 19 Sq. RFC 1/32nd scale:SPAD VII Lafayette:Nieuport 28 94th Aero  (Read 46145 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden SPAD VII 19 Squadron RFC 1/32nd scale: Plus SPAD VII Lafayette
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2021, 12:31:10 AM »
Both of these look fantastic!! The hand painted cowling looks perfect to me. Maybe the crew chief painting the plane was colorblind and got his reds and blues mixed up... This definitely makes me want to break out one of my Spads and start another project...

Thanks! Like I said, if you have one go for it!! When you are ready of course  ;D
RAGIII

Rick, I forgot to ask--Did you use Vallejo Model Color red or Model Air red for the brush-painted cowl?  Any thinning in either case?  What size and shape brush?  Just curious, for future reference.  Thanks.

Best,

Bob

Bob,
I used the mix I had made for the roundels. Vallejo Model Color red #70.947 mixed with a drop or two of Vallejo Game Extra Opaque Heavy red #72.141. It was thinned with Vallejo thinner and I think had a bit of Future mixed in. I used a cheap round brush not sure what size but probably in the #1 or 2 range  8) It took a couple of coats but remained very smooth.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2021, 04:54:01 AM »
They both look outstanding Rick:  The redoing of the stripes has paid dividends as it looks quite nice.  You got a couple of nice ones here in the works Rick.  Looking forward to seeing the next update.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2021, 06:32:46 AM »
Looking great so far, one of those builds that makes me want to break open my SPAD.... but, some other stuff to finish first.
Definately inspirational, though!

This picture is captioned as being B1627:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/10180877256/

If it is indeed B1627 it, other than the holes in the cowling, appears to have a forked pitot on the wing strut and a rear view mirror on the center section.
And it can't be painted teeth underneath the cowling, can it??

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2021, 06:43:48 AM »
They both look outstanding Rick:  The redoing of the stripes has paid dividends as it looks quite nice.  You got a couple of nice ones here in the works Rick.  Looking forward to seeing the next update.

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the comments!
RAGIII

Looking great so far, one of those builds that makes me want to break open my SPAD.... but, some other stuff to finish first.
Definately inspirational, though!

This picture is captioned as being B1627:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/10180877256/

If it is indeed B1627 it, other than the holes in the cowling, appears to have a forked pitot on the wing strut and a rear view mirror on the center section.
And it can't be painted teeth underneath the cowling, can it??

Jeroen

Thanks for commenting Jeroen! Also thanks very much for the Photo!! It is evident on this one that the blue is on the leading edge however it also "Seems" to have a quite thin white band on the front? It looks as though choosing the "Winter" cowling was a good guess. That being said I don't think that I will be drilling all of those holes for cooling  ::) In addition the side panels have the screened type which it is too late for me to change. Mine will just have to represent the aircraft before all of that was done to prepare for Summer Cooling of the engine  8)
RAGIII

PS: I think I need to contact Von Buckles for the serial number mask soon!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2021, 08:42:35 AM »
I haven't done much modeling in the last two days but did make some minor progress on the Lafayette SPAD. I have added the light rib tapes often seen on SPAD VII's.( I am using decal rib tpes from a WNW Fokker DVII) I won't go as far as saying the application was "Random" but it wasn't consistent either! I managed to Fubar the white circle decal that outlines the "Eyes" so I am in the process of Trying to hand paint them. I have also painted the rudder and added the appropriate serial number.

RAGIII

PS: Some random thoughts on the kit itself that I probably should have mentioned earlier:
1. Considering when this kit was first released it really is Well Detailed. Nothing in the interior is totally incorrect so just needs tweaking. The seat in particular is nicely shaped, ( So Much So that I used the seats from both of these kits in My Earlier SPAD XIII builds and therefore had to use the Eduard PE to make MY own out of sheet styrene  8) Roden includes parts in this release for early to Mid production  SPAD VII's. Also included is the Symmetrical and Asymmetrical wheels and covers. The way they handled the turtle deck / fuselage assembly so one does not lose the fine stringer detail sanding the seam on top was quite innovative at the time. Long before Eduard was praised for this method on their 1/48th scale SPAD XIII.

2. Issues: Yes the kit has a few issues. The most well known is the fit, or lack thereof of the engine and engine covers. If one is doing a SPAD VII that has the louvered side panels just leave off the cylinder banks. Install the main engine halves and prop  shaft and all is good. ( It won't be seen from the interior view once assembled!) If doing a bird with screening on those panels cut away about half of the cylinger banks and again all will be well. What is seen through the screens will be OK using this method.

The fit of the multi piece cowling and upper fuselage panels take Care! I did OK but further trimming and test fitting probably would have made it even better.

One minor thing on the interior. The mounting panel/ control stick seems to be mounted too far forward. There is a fuel gauge mounted on the floor between that assembly and the cover over the rudder pedals on the real aircraft so the spacing is off if built OOB.

I will add more thoughts as the build progresses and I hope this helps those with the kit!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:12:41 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Radarman

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »
RAGIII,
Thanks for advising us of these things to look out for. Shared knowledge sure helps. The SPADs are looking great.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
Interesting effect with the lighter rib tapes.  Looks good.

Cheers,

Hugh

Online Gisbod

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2021, 05:02:33 PM »
Looking very colourful Rick!

Great progress  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2021, 10:50:33 PM »
It's nice that you have documented these aspects of the kits.  Hopefully Roden will not have the same issues (but will probably have other issues).
Lord knows that serial number's got to be right!  ;D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2021, 11:51:08 PM »
RAGIII,
Thanks for advising us of these things to look out for. Shared knowledge sure helps. The SPADs are looking great.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I will try to do a bit better later on identifying some of the parts for the different verions.
RAGIII

Interesting effect with the lighter rib tapes.  Looks good.

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh. I have searched online for photos showing the lighter tapes but only found one. Funny in that My books are loaded with good photos  ;D
RAGIII

Looking very colourful Rick!

Great progress  ;)

Guy

Thanks Guy!
RAGIII

It's nice that you have documented these aspects of the kits.  Hopefully Roden will not have the same issues (but will probably have other issues).
Lord knows that serial number's got to be right!  ;D

Yep, the serial number is crucial  ::) Thankfully I am using the Pheon decals for this bird!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2021, 01:10:05 AM »
Where do you guys find the time for spending in front of the bench ?

You are making quick work on these ones Rick , which by the way are looking fab !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2021, 01:31:32 AM »
Where do you guys find the time for spending in front of the bench ?

You are making quick work on these ones Rick , which by the way are looking fab !

Alexis

As for the Bench Time, retirement is Great  ;D Thanks for the comment on the Models Alexis!
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2021, 08:36:11 AM »
I'm "retired too " but cannot keep up with your pace !

Looking good as usual !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »
I'm "retired too " but cannot keep up with your pace !

Looking good as usual !

Ed

Thanks Amigo! What I do in quantity you make up for in quality  8)
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2021, 11:50:21 AM »
Both SPADS are now in the same general place and ready for weathering.
RAGIII