Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen  (Read 13359 times)

Offline fredjocko

Re: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2021, 08:49:16 PM »
I really like how you did the red. The effect is very subtle and doesn't have the "garishness" of a toy.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2021, 03:40:20 AM »
At first I thought the preshading was a bit overdone but with the red it looks great.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2021, 04:52:04 AM »
    Fredjocko, Thanks, that's the effect I was hoping to achieve.

Fvdm, I normally use a medium grey however switched to the black as I figured the red would cover the pre shade too much; I "got lucky" on that decision!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2021, 05:39:29 AM »
Just getting caught up here Lance:  I like the little gauge additions to the interior, adds a bit of interest and fills up some of the voids nicely.  There's a lot of red, but it is the "Red Baron's" aircraft.  The preshading turned out real nice.  As stated, not over done, just a nice subtle touch.  This is shaping up to be a real "Barn Burner" and a true contender for the Nanton "Pose Down".
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2021, 09:19:31 AM »
Thanks Mark, I hope the world turns a bit brighter and we can have more Shows/Competitions soon. Since the last update I've completed the engine and the decals along with a lot of required touch ups with the exception of weathering and a final semi gloss coat overall. The few buckle eyelets required have been added to the landing gear struts and cabanes as well. I'm now on a short pause on the main structure while I ponder whether an overall filter or wash is next ....... Here's the main bits with the decals completed:

You can see the difference in decal qualities; the weight legend is a Pheon product and went on beautifully, the S/N  legend is from the Meng Kit and shows due to it's greater thickness which I hope will tone down with a flatter finish.

Here's the Oberursel and cowling:

...... and last the Axial 6 lamination prop. As you can see it still needs a little work but I'll get on that while I ponder the final finish!

The Kit one used as a template is from Wingnut Wings, I'll salvage a prop boss from one in the spares box. I'm using the standard Alaskan Yellow Cedar and Pear veneers for the light/Dark laminations respectively.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:28:44 AM by lcarroll »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2021, 11:57:11 AM »
Looking terrific Lance. I am looking forward to seeing the filters/washes.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2021, 12:48:02 AM »
Rick,   
 I'm hoping a coat of semi-gloss clear will get done today and that should provide a base for a bit of weathering and then a light wash or filter. The photos we have of this aircraft in service show a fairly clean condition with just a few blemishes in the finish around the cockpit. It will get the standard rotary engine oil "grunge" treatment as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2021, 04:39:23 AM »
Looking really good Lance. Looking forward to seeing your magic on the prop too.

Stephen.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2021, 01:43:20 AM »
   Thanks Stephen, reinforcement is always welcome at this work bench!
   I decided to take a stab at starting the prop yesterday and got carried way. It took about 3 hours of slow "whittling" with a couple of fresh #11 blades, the pear wood has the consistency of cured concrete but it's done and ready for stain and varnish. I hope to do a hub for it later today despite a full schedule of real life chores.
   Front profile started:

Side profile added:

......... and the finished prop.

Overall a successful session; no injuries or accidents with the sharp tools, and only moderate pain to those arthritic stubs I call fingers! :(
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2021, 02:04:32 AM »
The prop is a Beauty Lance!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Radarman

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2021, 03:25:03 AM »
Lance,
You make prop carving appear so simple. I look forward to seeing it under a coat of varnish.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2021, 03:43:05 AM »
Beautiful Lance!  Do you carve with the blade and then switch over to sanding when you get "close"?  What sort of sanding tools do you use?  Oh, and how do you avoid slippage and bloodshed during this process? ::)  Thanks.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2021, 04:02:24 AM »
Blimey,

That prop is beautiful Lance!

I really must try that...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2021, 04:48:15 AM »
    Thanks All for your very generous comments.

Quote from Bob R.

"Beautiful Lance!  Do you carve with the blade and then switch over to sanding when you get "close"?  What sort of sanding tools do you use?  Oh, and how do you avoid slippage and bloodshed during this process?"

Bob,
    Regarding sanding yes, I switch to it once close to the product I want as a cut too deep is essentially "bin time" and start over! I use a assortment of grits of sand paper and sanding sticks, both model products and throwaway makeup nail grooming varieties from WalMart. In close to the hub I do a lot of shaping with sand paper wrapped around pencils and dowels. As for avoiding bloodshed, I rely on the "luck of the Irish" and a deep seated hatred of pain and suffering!
    Hopefully I can take some time to get the stain and perhaps first coat of varnish on it today. I always look forward to seeing the effect the stain adds to the prop!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2021, 05:13:16 AM »
Just getting caught up on you progress Lance and so far I must , very impressive work on this one .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .