Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen  (Read 13325 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2021, 05:22:36 AM »
The prop is a stunner Lance. Come to that the rest of the build looks pretty good too! I too like the chipped paint on the side of the cockpit - a very realistic addition indeed.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2021, 06:38:47 AM »
Beautiful job the prop Lance and the wear for the seat belt buckle is a really nice touch . In all this is really taking hold  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2021, 10:11:11 AM »
Great paint work, Lance.  Definitely not 'toy like'.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2021, 06:24:09 AM »
I never saw the wear on the fuselage from the seat belt. I think it's a great detail.
When i see people make wooden props I always get jealous.  I think it's a piece of art.

Bughunter

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2021, 07:57:18 AM »
Lance, all those things looks very nice ... but can you explain the white chipping? ???
Was the red white primed below? I would assume that the red paint is removed and the linen color comes through, or is only the picture so bright, that it looks white? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2021, 09:41:15 AM »
Frank,
   It's the latter case, the color of the "chips" is actually Clear Doped Linen for which I used a mix of Tamiya's Deck Tan and Desert Yellow. Looking back at the photo here it does indeed appear white, which it is not in real view.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2021, 06:52:35 AM »
Thanks Lance, also for the detailed explanation of you linen mixture!
Seems to be finished soon, you will save a lot of time in the rigging phase of the build ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
I've finally "unstalled" this little project and have some real progress to add to the log.I completed the Spandaus using the kit breeches and barrels with the PE rolled cooling jackets. They were perfect until, after installation, I managed to flatten both jackets somewhat and then damaged them further trying to bend them back into shape. The end result was to tear them off, repair the damage to the cowling, and using the breech blocks with Master barrels and jackets start over again. I'm much happier with the new ones.
   Here they are before painting and after. I used Alclad Gunmetal with a bit of Airframe Aluminum added.

A filler pipe and cap for the oil was also added (missing on this Kit) and then the mid wing was mounted.

Once that was in place the gun blast shields were installed on the upper decking.

Once the guns were remounted the upper wing was installed on the inter plane struts only. Next I strapped the beast into the Magic Third Hand and was able to install the cabanes and the aileron control cables. The cabanes fit beautifully which says volumes for this Roden Kit!

The right side cables have not been installed yet in this photo.

Last I completed the assembly of the landing gear struts to the axle wing using a jig from my first build of this kit almost 10 years ago .......  never throw anything away! The popsicle stick allows for getting the assembly level.

So, almost complete. Next steps are the cabane rigging wires and flight control cables on the tail and ailerons, then on to the landing gear, cowling and engine, and rudder installation. All these components are more or less complete so this should wrap up pretty quickly!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2021, 10:55:32 AM »
Looking Terrific Lance. Those Spandau Guns look awesome. Did you figure out the fit issue you had with the Aviattic cowling?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Radarman

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »
Lance,
The tai-plane is moving along rightly. Thanks for the photo of your jig, another idea in the toolbox.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2021, 06:09:26 PM »
I don’t know how I missed this . That’s an amazing red Tripe you are building, Lance. Everything, from the shade of red to the weathering looks great.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2021, 10:59:01 PM »
Great fix on the guns, Lance.  They look good.
Looking forward to see this in the completed section.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2021, 12:39:43 AM »
   Thanks for the comments as always Guys, they are very much appreciated!

Rick, the cowling worked out nicely after a short session with the "Good Wife's" stolen hair dryer. Hopefully I didn't get any glue or paint on it ..........

I just noticed on one of the photos that I've lost the sight ring off the right Spandau, back to the spares box to remedy that today!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2021, 12:46:39 AM »
Progress is coming along wonderfully Lance , guns turned out awesome and that red ....really like the Red on this bird !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2021, 04:04:45 AM »
Looking absolutely First-Rate Lance!  I'm really enjoying this, as I have not seen a model of the final all-read Triplane, 425/17, in quite a while.  You have done a marvelous job with it.

Best regards,

Bob