Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen  (Read 13171 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 07:43:20 AM »
Stephen, Hugh,
   Thanks very much for commenting. It will (hopefully) be a good while before I need a larger scale to work with; I well remember the trauma of switching to 1:32 from 1:48 when my fingers suddenly grew too big! Hugh, like you I prefer the softer material provided by the purveyors of fine alcohol beverages, and I'm the first to admit that the better the contents the more suitable the shrink cap material seems to be! I keep a stock of different types of the material including sheet stock fashioned from disposable cook wear as you mention.It all has seemingly endless applications.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 08:08:22 AM »
Always something to learn here ... the little metal plates are a nice idea! I have to keep in mind that for my Dr.I build. If I forget by then, please remind me! ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2021, 04:53:11 PM »
The metal plates are a real nice detail.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2021, 08:36:16 PM »
Truly superb modeling, all around!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
    Thanks for your kind comments Gents. The heat plates are a quick and easy addition missing from this Kit and not included with the otherwise excellent Eduard Photo Etch Set for this release either. I've completed the pre-shading of the wings and also the all red paint finish, photos will follow shortly.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2021, 12:51:22 PM »
    As I stated earlier I see a bit of a challenge ahead dealing with a monochrome finish, and especially in red! My concern is that I end up with a bright red toy model, of which I've seen many over the years! I believe I can avoid that with a slightly darker red and some wash and weathering effects on the base coat, along with a bit of difference in the finish of various parts of the model..... we'll have to wait and see how that all works out.
   The first step was to use pre-shading technique to allow an indication of the wing ribs to show through the paint scheme. The Kit has virtually zero indication of ribs and tapes and I didn't want to add them as "hardware" and create too graphic an effect. I chose an off black (Tamiya Nato Black) for this.

After an over night drying period I applied two coats of a mix of Tamiya X7 Red and a bit of their XF9 Hull Red (which is really a brown to my eyes) and then ran a third coat of the mix over the rib tapes to minimize the effect. The overall color impression is less of a "bright" red in real life then in the photos, and I am happy with the rib detail that is apparent but subtle.

I'll let all of this "cure" overnight, and then put on a couple of layers of Future before tackling the decals, then the weathering and "wash" effect. In between layers I can work on the engine and I still have an Axial prop to carve.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2021, 03:17:07 PM »
Lovely RED Bird Lance! The tapes and shading worked well. Looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2021, 04:52:43 PM »
The pre shading has worked a treat Lance!

Looking great.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
Nice paintwork, Lance.  I like how this is looking.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2021, 12:55:53 AM »
Nice paintwork, Lance.  I like how this is looking.

Second this , looking really good Lance !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2021, 03:11:39 AM »
Looking great Lance. I hope that there'll be a day in the near future when I can actually see your latest builds in the flesh!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2021, 03:26:38 AM »
Thanks All for looking and for your nice comments. It is indeed a awful lot of red, but it does offer a nice change from all the versions of PC.10 we like to chat about!
Gary, it will indeed be a great day when we can place this sequestered lifestyle firmly in our sixes; there are days when I wonder if ever that'll come to pass. I don't believe we have a hope of a Nanton or Edmonton Show this June once again, all for the public good however very disappointing!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2021, 03:37:32 AM »
Ooh, some really nice effects with the paintwork there, Lance. I do like your interpretation of the red - you are certainly catching up on me! I am looking and learning... Regards, Marc

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2021, 05:00:41 AM »
That red colour is very difficult to get to look realistic Lance: like you I have seen may red toys over the years and would hesitste to attempt it myself. I do like what you have done so far - with more shading and weathering I think that you will eventually have something that looks pretty much the part.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2021, 01:42:10 PM »
Marc, Stephen,
    Thanks for that! Just to add to the shock of the scheme I still recall the thrill of seeing an all red Beechcraft Stagger Wing parked at our local Airport when I was about 16 years old, I'll never forget how captivating that scene was! The aircraft was there when I spent the day hanging around the Field to watch the RCAF Golden Hawks Formation Team Show, it was their first year. Along with the latter event that Beech really got my blood flowing, what a beautiful sight!
   As my great friend, MGunns puts it, "but I digress!"
   I got two layers of Future on her today, and some work completed on the engine, more photos soon!
Cheers,
Lance