Author Topic: Eduard’s Udet’s Trio ‘Du Noch Nicht!!’ 1/48 *Picture  (Read 10999 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Eduard’s Udet’s Trio ‘Du Noch Nicht!!’ 1/48
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
I think the replacement landing gear struts are the Brian Fawcett ones

Here is his site

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/home

And here are the struts
http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/1-48-scale-resin-detail-correction-parts

Hth’s
Ray

Thats the gentlmens name ,  thanks Ray !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 06:03:06 PM »
Looks like a nice trio, Guy. Just to add to the other mention of the Albatros D.V kit - the spinner looks a bit fat & bulbous. I've only built the one 1/48 scale Eduard D.V and something looked seriously off. The landing gear & wheels would be the obvious thing to change, but the kit spinner also adds to the "pudgy" look too. I remember building the D.II and D.III, and trimming the spinners down quite a bit to get the right look.
Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary, yes, I thought the same thing - looks like the D.V ate too many pies! Always looked out of whack. Hopefully the undercarriage addresses the worst of it, but don’t see how I could slim down the spinner? If the the spinner is too fat, so must the fuselage.. and with the best will in the world - that becomes a surgical procedure too far for my limited talents!

I had a similar thing with their new SE5a I built recently - the wing ribs were totally overdone, bizarre really, the rest of the kit was like WNW’s in 1/48 but the wings looked like Lego... I paired them back to improve the look, but I will probably build another one for my new cabinet and I’m wondering if the old tooling might even be better? Not the same super detail, but I think I’d rather have more realistic wings! Anyone built the old one? I’d be interested to hear an opinion.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 05:59:36 AM »

Hi Gary, yes, I thought the same thing - looks like the D.V ate too many pies! Always looked out of whack. Hopefully the undercarriage addresses the worst of it, but don’t see how I could slim down the spinner? If the the spinner is too fat, so must the fuselage.. and with the best will in the world - that becomes a surgical procedure too far for my limited talents!

I had a similar thing with their new SE5a I built recently - the wing ribs were totally overdone, bizarre really, the rest of the kit was like WNW’s in 1/48 but the wings looked like Lego... I paired them back to improve the look, but I will probably build another one for my new cabinet and I’m wondering if the old tooling might even be better? Not the same super detail, but I think I’d rather have more realistic wings! Anyone built the old one? I’d be interested to hear an opinion.

Guy

Hello Guy - on my kit, the spinner's contour came to meet the fuselage surface exactly - which is wrong. On my D.II and D.III I carefully trimmed down the spinners to be more cone-shaped, reducing the diameter at the widest point by about 1.0mm. It was slow, painful, agonizingly fiddly work with scalpel and sanding sticks. Photos of real aircraft show the fuselage opening to be slightly wider than the spinner, in my opinion.
Cheers,
Gary 

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »
Ah I see,

Thanks Gary, amazing they get these things wrong really with accurate scale drawings abound, but unfortunately, you lost me at  ‘slow, painful, agonizingly fiddly work’  ??? ;D

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 07:11:10 AM »

Evening,

I ordered and paid for the struts & wheels from the Brian Fawcett site, but I’ve heard nothing since?

Just wondered if anyone knew if he’s still active!

Thanks,

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »

Evening,

I ordered and paid for the struts & wheels from the Brian Fawcett site, but I’ve heard nothing since?

Just wondered if anyone knew if he’s still active!

Thanks,

Guy

If you were actually charged I would think the answer is yes. That being said I haven't ordered from him in about 10 years  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 04:42:14 PM »
Thanks Rick,

Yes, I was charged - on 3rd January, just that I’ve had no response since. I have emailed him but no reply either.

Guy

Offline gcn

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 05:48:15 PM »
I bought the Sopwith triplanes fuselage from him in October and whilst there was no communication delivery was prompt.

I was slightly dubious as the web page hadn’t been updated since about 1995, but all was good.

Gary

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 06:54:47 AM »
Thanks Gary,

Yes, all good, arrived today! Just there was no confirmation email etc which got me a bit worried for a bit there!

They look excellent replacements, my only worry is the strength, I can see them snapping very easily...

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 11:25:01 PM »
Now worries on the landing gear snapping . They are very robust  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 01:05:05 AM »
Ah excellent,

Thanks Alexis

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2021, 06:03:22 AM »
Evening all,

Still decorating the new house (nearly finished  ;D), but I should be starting a kit this week (first modelling in 4 months!). I’ve also just received the old Eduard Sopwith Triplane and Pup (thank you Giuseppe) so I now have to decide what to build first. As you may remember, I’ve ordered a glass display cabinet with the intention of filling it with 1/48 kits starting a collection from scratch (it’s a big cabinet!).

I’ve also got the new Eduard Spitfire Mk.I in the queue (lovely kit) so it’s between that and the Triplane/ Fokker/ Pup/ Dr.1/ Albatros... Ooh, choices, choices  :D

Guy

Online FAf

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 08:11:08 AM »
So many choices... but with your normal build speed I'm sure you will finish them all in short order. Start with... hmm... actually not that easy to advice!

Looking forward to any and all though!
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 10:49:15 PM »
Nice to have choices  8) Now that you are Moved and have the resin bits I am looking forward to seeing this build get off the ground !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 12:27:58 AM »
Thanks,

As this topic is the Du Noch Nicht boxing, I probably ought to start with one of those, probably the most straightforward to get me back in the swing of things. So D.VII or Dr.1  ;)

Guy