Author Topic: Eduard’s Udet’s Trio ‘Du Noch Nicht!!’ 1/48 *Picture  (Read 11003 times)

Offline Gisbod

Eduard’s Udet’s Trio ‘Du Noch Nicht!!’ 1/48 *Picture
« on: January 02, 2021, 07:31:18 PM »
Hello all,

Long time no building! I’ve recently moved house and I’m full time decorating at the moment. But.. I’m at the point where I could restart the model bench. With the new house I’m ordering a dedicated wall mounted cabinet to fit 1/48 scale aircraft. I’ve never displayed in the home before (they all end up in the bin!) and need to start a plan for filling it. Largely WW1 but a selection of post war & WW2 to go into the mix. I’ve already got the new Tamiya Spitfire Mk.1 as I thought this would be a straightforward ‘luxury build’ to get back into modelling.

However, I have just also bought the Eduard ‘Du Noct Nicht!!’ Udet boxing of the Albatros, Dr.I and D.VII. I’m very impressed! For £36 it’s incredibly good value. 3 profi pack kits, excellent decals (7 options!), good lozenge (although I’ve already ordered Aviattic’s replacements - along with their Dr.I streaking set) and a lovely resin pilot (seated) figure. I’m planning on doing Udet’s D.VII but with a lozenge top wing (not the candy stripe) as per WW’s D.VII F boxing, the Albatros - not sure yet, but a camouflaged painted wing/ wood fuselage version (not Udet) and probably the Richthofen half streaked, half red version.

I won’t be leaping into this until after the Spit, but I still can’t help planning this lovely trio.

My first query is replacement guns - of the Gaspatch sets, which is the most appropriate for each aircraft?

Many thanks,

Guy

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:28:27 PM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Monty

Re: Eduard’s Udet’s Trio ‘Du Noch Nicht!!’ 1/48
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:58:31 AM »
This is a very tempting collection, Guy! Some lovely colour schemes and really interesting ... we will definitely follow with great interest! Sorry, can't help much with the machine guns... Regards, Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 02:42:39 AM »
Nice choice for a triple build  ;D I will certainly follow along. I also will check the Gaspatch site later about the MGs'.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 02:51:17 AM »
Will be following along on this one . Are you going to replace the undercarriage legs on the Albatros D.V ?

The legs are to short .3 mm for the front and 2.5 mm for the rear if my memory severs me well .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 06:21:23 AM »

Thanks Monty  ;)

Nice choice for a triple build  ;D I will certainly follow along. I also will check the Gaspatch site later about the MGs'.
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, just that there’s a heap of options and I can’t really see the difference...

Will be following along on this one . Are you going to replace the undercarriage legs on the Albatros D.V ?

The legs are to short .3 mm for the front and 2.5 mm for the rear if my memory severs me well .

Alexis

Ah, I didn’t know that Alexis, I did think the Eduard kit didn’t look quite right looking at other peoples’ finished Albatros’s - that’s probably why! Is there a drop in alternative?

Guy

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »
As for the MGs' Here are the choices that would be appropriate:
1. Albatros: 08/ 15
2. DR1: 08/15 Fokker version ( The Fokker Version comes with the spent shell chutes) These May take Modification to the fuselage area..I am not sure. That being said the same 08/15 used on the Albatros would work also.
3. Fokker DVII: 08/15 with extended handles Fokker Version.  Same as the DR1 in that the chutes may cause the need for Mods. So...just the plain 08/15 with extended handles would work. IHTH,
RAGIII

PS: I can't remember the name right now but the same person that makes the corrected fuselage for the Roden Sopwith Triplane made Resin struts and wheels. They look reat and work in as a drop in assembly!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:18:00 AM by RAGIII »

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 09:36:28 AM »
... or you use Master, there is only one variant in 1/48:
http://www.master-model.pl/product/am-48-035.html

But you need to merge the barrels and cooling jackets with the kit parts of the locking case on the back (what I usually do).

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »
Hello Guy ,

Not sure if there is any new after market legs . Many years ago their was a short release from Pheon Models which was included with a decal set . Black Dog Model accessories also did a set , but hard to find now .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rayb24

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 11:58:00 AM »
I think the replacement landing gear struts are the Brian Fawcett ones

Here is his site

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/home

And here are the struts
http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/1-48-scale-resin-detail-correction-parts

Hth’s
Ray

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 12:31:54 PM »
I think the replacement landing gear struts are the Brian Fawcett ones

Here is his site

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/home

And here are the struts
http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/1-48-scale-resin-detail-correction-parts

Hth’s
Ray

Yep, those are the ones and the Guy I couldn't remember. Pheons were done by Brian.  :o
RAGIII

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 07:20:46 PM »
Ah many thanks!

That’s really helpful all round, although you have cost me more cash! I’ve ordered the resin struts and wheels (apparently the kit’s are the wrong diameter too  :P , 2 pairs of 08/15’s extended handles, 1 pair of Fokker 08/15’s and some resin turnbuckles.

It’s odd isn’t it that I seem to pay more for accessories than I do for kits. I’ve now paid out over twice as much as the boxing!  ???

Guy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 06:00:23 AM »

It’s odd isn’t it that I seem to pay more for accessories than I do for kits. I’ve now paid out over twice as much as the boxing!  ???

.....which is why I scratch build my models. Aftermarket parts then become affordable!

Stephen.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 01:27:51 AM »
Hey Guy, Happy New year.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 03:46:46 AM »
Hi Ryan!

Yep you too.. let us know what your currently building...

Always a sight for sore eyes!

Guy

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 06:16:28 AM »
Looks like a nice trio, Guy. Just to add to the other mention of the Albatros D.V kit - the spinner looks a bit fat & bulbous. I've only built the one 1/48 scale Eduard D.V and something looked seriously off. The landing gear & wheels would be the obvious thing to change, but the kit spinner also adds to the "pudgy" look too. I remember building the D.II and D.III, and trimming the spinners down quite a bit to get the right look.
Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:50:29 PM by gedmundson »