Author Topic: Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 21.12.20 Finished  (Read 20791 times)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 21.11.20 Cockpit
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »
Gorgeous build, Frank. Your every touch improves the crude kit to a spectacular level. I am watching with pleasure and interest.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
Simply Fantastic Modeling as always Frank! I Love your Details!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2020, 04:22:34 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments!

Your every touch improves the crude kit to a spectacular level.
Hmm, crude sounds hard ;) I like the Special Hobby kits as the deliver a good base. Due to the short run some parts needs more attention, but I was satisfied with the final result of my built SH kits.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2020, 04:34:38 AM »
That is once again stunning work, Frank! I would never be able to do that fine and beautiful soldering... the neat and stunning cockpit detail is quite amazing... Looking forward to more!

Bughunter

Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 28.11.20 Metal parts
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2020, 07:50:05 AM »
Thank you, more details are coming now!

Metal parts

My first idea was to prime the fuselage - but stop, some preparation needs to be done before!

I turned and milled small brass parts, a bearing for rotary engine and airscrew and replaced a small plastic piece by a real brass fuel cap.

The are already holes for both, but I think I need to move the filler out of the middle to avoid a conflict with the gun.

The struts are thin, fragile, round and would need a lot of cleaning. The photos of the fuselage structure shows streamlined struts, so I squeezed 0.7mm brass and soldered the N-struts in a crazy construction.

The struts:

Fits as expected, as I put the pins in the same distance into the wood before.

The two struts are so robust that they can hold the wing even without the rear struts! On the left there is one kit strut.

The rear struts are a single piece of squeezed pipe, but I can set the angle of the top wing with the length of the struts.

I added also pins to the landing gear.

The springs needs to be added after painting.

Before painting the fuselage I also have to match the armament.
The LMG of the kit lacked details (right bottom). Trainers war often without a gun or with older Spandaus, but I had trouble to fit a early Spandau from Gaspatch in. "My" machine was in marine usage, so I assumed the used a normal 08/15. From my Siemens-Schuckert build I have some left over of a Eduard set 648177.

I cut the closed barrel of, plugged one of the build master barrel sets on and manipulated the fuselage until it fits.

Here the back part is complete: 3 resin and 7 PE parts!

Painted with Alclad steel, followed by a thin layer Alclad gun metal and a dry brushing. Finally glued the barrel with jacket in place.

This fits now and can be stored safely for mounting after the paint job.

A good preparation works makes the later steps much easier.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 28.11.20 Metal parts
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2020, 08:24:26 AM »
WOW Frank! Amazing work with the struts and MG, not to mention how great the gear looks  8) Awesome work as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2020, 10:13:13 AM »
Really nice work on the details Frank  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2020, 05:12:01 PM »
Quite amazing and beautiful metal work, Frank... and a masterclass on the machine gun detailing! Thank you, Marc.

Bughunter

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2020, 04:13:44 AM »
Thank you all!

a masterclass on the machine gun detailing!
I have to thank Master for the barrel and cooling jacket set and Eduard for the back part, this was out of the box work. Ok, not the kit but out of the accessory boxes ;)

In 1/32 Master offers 3 sets which includes also the back part of the guns, but not in 1/48.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2020, 05:44:35 AM »
Stunning metalwork Frank!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Borsos

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2020, 05:49:24 PM »
The watchmaker at his best! A stunning progress on this rarely seen beauty.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2020, 03:46:06 AM »
The watchmaker at his best! A stunning progress on this rarely seen beauty.
Andreas

I completely agree with Andreas: as always your work is stunning.

Stephen.

Bughunter

Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 4.12.20 Streaking
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2020, 04:28:57 AM »
Thank you Giuseppe, Andreas and Stephen for looking over my shoulder!

Streaking

During a search for the Fokker D.V I found a very interesting article about restoring the geometry of this Fokker using the 3D modeling open source software Blender. Since Blender allows camera positions etc (it can also render movies) it is possible to check the computer model against existing photos.
The existing drawings by Ian Stair in the Mini Datafile are from 1997, where we can't even dream about such powerful computer and software! So I am and was always impressed about the ability to trace down such drawing only from photos in a manual way.
Mr. Witold find out, that the real Fokker has a shorter wingspan, and other details. That the wheels are to small I noticed already before (and replaced them) by viewing the pictures. Here it is:
https://airplanes3d.wordpress.com/2019/04/27/recreating-geometry-of-a-forgotten-wwi-fighter/

For my build it is a bit late, it would require a heavily modification of the wings with ribs and so on, and I have already painted them. I think it will look like a Fokker D.V also without the fix ;)

I worked also on the model. A missing thing was the tail framing to hold the skid and rudder.
I tried to replicate it from 0.6mm brass micro tube with respecting drawing and pictures. I run into trouble with size, angles, conflict with rudder horns etc.
Later I realized, that the tail construction looks very similar to a Fokker Eindecker, so I had also a look into the Fokker Eindecker Compendium 1+2. This was very helpful!
Now it is not completely correct, but a good compromise between reality and kit parts I hope! I used again a Connecto cross for the connection.

The skid is made from wood and has a metal end on the ground.

All the metal parts tinned.

The fuselage is primed and I wanted to use the 3D decals provided (in double amount) by the kit. But I failed to use them. They are to be applied as normal decal, and later, after drying, the upper clear film should be peeled off. But it works for me only on parts of the decals. The upper foil is to sticky and parts of the decals peeled of from the model with it. Then I try to secure it there with clear coat, but the Gunze one dissolve the decal.
At the end I applied Eduard stitching PE. That is also 3D ;)

The kit provides also some nice steps with rings. The steps are mounted on both sides to the steel frame and the canvas has some rings at that position to be able to put it over the steps. 

After pale blue on lower surfaces ...

... I masked and applied linen color on top.

And finally I have applied the streaks with oils.

A rotatable paint stand is helpful.

After seeing the pictures here I think I will remove a bit more paint.

Now some days for hardening.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 4.12.20 Streaking
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2020, 06:06:16 AM »
I think you are doing a splendid job Frank, it looks beautiful and I love the color scheme!

And thank you for the link to that very interesting article!

Maybe I should drop mr. Jaworski a line and ask if he can do the same with the HP V/1500  ;)

Willem
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 06:42:37 AM by Rookie »

Offline Borsos

Re: Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 4.12.20 Streaking
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2020, 06:30:10 AM »
Great progress and paint job on the fuselage and the fin, Frank. I hopefully will see that one finished at FFB when this mad times get better....
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.