Author Topic: Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 21.12.20 Finished  (Read 20824 times)

Bughunter

Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48; Update 21.12.20 Finished
« on: October 25, 2020, 03:47:05 AM »
After the finish of the last projects I tried to continue on other shelf queens, but without success. My mojo doesn't come back.
Ok. Let's try to start a new kit.

Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48  

I tried to search the forum for other builds, but I can't find one. The search result was flooded with Fokker D.VII because the searched D.V is a sub string and a -D.VII was ignored.

Another sacrilege: Limited edition kits are for collecting and not for building! No matter 8)
I really like the painting on the cover of the box!

On the back side of the box there are the possible markings printed in color:

Now the box content, as requested for a new build report.

Spue A with fuselage and some small parts.

Sprue B with wings, wheels and more.

A nice PE fret, etched by Hauler.

The decal sheet for the markings:

Another 3D-decal for the stitching of the fuselage. I heard this is tricky to use, but there is a spare. On top the wind hshield.

The manual in the usual Special Hobby style in A5 b/w format.

The manual can be downloaded at cmkkits.com, with color pages for the markings. Nice service!
Here for example camo A - the one I want to build.

As usual I want to have more references for my build. There exists a Windsock Mini Datafile for this rare bird:

Additionally I will use a Windsock International with a nice title painting by Brian Knight.

And why this particular kit? It's Rick's responsibility! I absolutely want to try his method of Fokker-streaks with Prussian Blue oil paint.
I hope that some of you will follow through this build.

... and yes, me and my mojo are back! More soon.

Cheers,
Frank
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:21:55 AM by Bughunter »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 04:39:49 AM »
I am really looking forward to this one Frank! This is one I would Love to see scaled up to 1/32nd  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 05:09:10 AM »
Nice subject matter Frank ! Not one I see very often built so will be tagging a long if you don't mind .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 05:21:43 AM »
I, too, am really looking forward to seeing this one in your hands.  If this was available as a kit in 1/32, I would have one.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 05:52:53 AM »
I had not heard of this type before - had to look it up so another learning experience. Glad that you were able to blame Rick for this - after all we all need an excuse to start a new model!

PS Can you explain why that coin keeps changing size in the different photographs??!

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 05:58:06 AM »
Ooh great Frank,

This could be right up my alley! Can’t wait to see what you do with her and the streaking!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 05:51:19 PM »
Great to see you and your mojo are back (I wish I was as well!)
I am sure this will be an interesting build, I have been many times a few inches from buying this kit, but looking at my stash always makes my decision to avoid another box!

;-)

Antonio

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 06:18:42 PM »
This is a really cool subject, and I'm sure your treatment will produce a miniaturized real plane. Good luck (and lot of fun) with the building.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 03:10:30 AM »
Welcome Rick, Terri, Ken, Stephen, Guy, Antonio and Giuseppe!

If this was available as a kit in 1/32, I would have one.
And if not, you will be able to scratch one! ;D

I had not heard of this type before
Stephen, often the same with me! The Gray/Thetford book lists 500 german types ::) Your push-pull is also listed.

Glad that you were able to blame Rick for this - after all we all need an excuse to start a new model!
You've caught me! ;)

I'm sure your treatment will produce a miniaturized real plane.
Oh, then I hope I'm able to fulfill the expectations!

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Fokker D.V, Special Hobby 1/48, Update 25.10.20 Wings
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 03:15:29 AM »
Wings

On Friday I started to cut the parts from sprue and cleaned them. Let's start with the wings on Saturday the first parts are airbrushed.

The first task was the removal of the ailerons as on my other birds. I primed the wings white and added the first PE parts.

The ailerons are glued in place and the ribs are masked for shading.

Here again the nice PE detail. The gap was covered with thin ply. It was not on all aircrafts done, but it is a interesting detail. And if I zoom into the crash picture of my plane, it may be there.

Shading done and unmasked:

The Datafile talks about linen or light blue on lower wing surfaces. I decided to use Drooling Bulldog "Pale Blue".
Sorry, the colors of the next two pictures are not matching the model ones.

The upper surfaces are painted with Gunze flat linen, as base for the oil paint.

Mikael Carlsson has a very nice streaking on his Fokker Dr.I and this I wanted to replicate.

Source:bundesheer.at

Finally on Sunday I played with oil paints.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 04:18:35 AM »
I think it looks Fabulous Frank! I love the subtle worn look as well.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 05:09:10 AM »
Very nicely done Frank.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 06:34:35 AM »
Are you in a competition with Rick to see who can replicate the streaking the best? That is as good as any I have seen. (So another modeller to whom in future I can send my Fokker if I build one that has the streaky finish!)

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 07:46:26 AM »
Thank you my friends!

There is a colored drawing on the backside of my Fokker, and it shows a heavy streaking on the wings. Especially where later the crosses are, with only a white border. I think the white field was over painted. So I tried to keep more there, and the are other areas where the paint is nearly completely removed. The right aileron looks like replaced on crash picture and drawing, because is has nearly no streaks.

The biggest difficulty is to show the difference between full color and almost completely dry brush but getting still streaks. The brush was in real 8cm wide (see the width of the stripes on fuselage sides on Mikaels Fokker above) which is 1.7mm in 1/48. I found a small flat brush.

Another problem will be to find a paint for the airbrush for cowling and panels, which matches the oil paint in color. ::)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 09:42:35 AM »
Nothing wrong with that all Frank , streaking turned out awesome actually .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .