Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...  (Read 25560 times)

Offline Fvdm

Re: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2020, 06:37:41 AM »
Great work Monty. I think I would use monofilament for the undercarriage.

Offline Monty

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2020, 12:04:58 AM »
Thank You everyone for the helpful replies! Rick, it's good to hear these struts are stronger than they look - or feel - I do remember being very dubious about the WNW DVII U/C struts, but mine survived a 2000 km trip to a convention, by car, standing on it's U/C, and 3 years later is OK! Must admit I did add wire cross braces... Frank, I know it works well for you, but I'm a bit scared of adding too much tension on the struts with my ham-fisted efforts by using fishing line! Ferry, I also shy away from monofilament as it tends to be affected by heat and humidity, maybe it's just me!

So, on with the build... did the masking now, tissue crammed in the cockpit, but careful marking of the upper strut attachment points... to prevent fitting problems later!

Then a very thin coat of a brew of flat black, medium grey and my last bit of Nato black, Tamiya acrylics, thinned with their thinner and a touch of gloss and a drop of acrylic retarder.... (Mix really well, dance around it three times making whooping noises and you're good to go...)

Wait a minute, I hear you say, this wasn't going to be Josef Jacob's Dr.1... Well, this is just the first undercoat. A dark  glossy colour kills the translucency of the plastic and shows up flaws much, much better than any other colour, have you ever owned a black car? The armour modellers are into "black-basing" these days, where they start with a black colour and go to successively lighter shades to get that 3D effect, I'm not really aiming for that but it may help... Need to let this all dry...

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2020, 12:37:35 AM »
Looking Great Marc! Your Meticulous approach at filling the strut locations and priming are sure to pay dividends  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2020, 06:17:34 AM »
The dark base coating looks like your goat-to way of starting the paint....

Steve

Offline Monty

« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2020, 07:34:10 AM »
Heh, Heh, Pepperman! Yes, It's worth bleating about, and helps head-butt the build along... Rick, my joints just weren't up to scratch, and I had to revisit them...

And I forgot the struts under the tail-plane...

And then out with the sandpaper, not for the squeamish....

Even the goat is disgusted ... he's actually just there to help the colour contrast... Hopefully I'l get some time to proceed over this festive season, so best wishes to You and your Loved Ones!

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2020, 04:21:10 AM »
That seam is a Devil to be sure. Even when I think it is gone it re appears... even a bit on the Meng kit  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2020, 05:56:19 AM »
Rick, you are so right about that seam! Just like the WNW DVII in fact... and it needs multiple tries with filling, sanding and re-coating... and here is try number 2...

... and doesn't look so good... You can see the rough areas on the centre line join and my tailplane "fix"... so did some sanding...

... and looks like a mess all over again... How could I miss that sink mark near the wing tip??

Will need to primer this again...

Regards and Keep Safe,

Marc.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
Hopefully this will be the last filling and sanding of that Damn Seam! I have to admit I reached a point where I said Hell, No One will see it but Me!
RAGIII

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »
Finally you'll get there.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »
I hate this happening with seams on my models. Most of them appear when the painting is done.... I keep my fingers crossed for a seamless fuselage after not so many filling and sanding steps!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
This is why I use CA to fill seams.  Solvent based paints and puttys always seem to shrink over time, revealing the seam.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2021, 12:03:38 AM »
Yeah , those seems have a way of coming back to haunt us over time and during the build . CA works the best but with out of time during the day if not sanded right away it is a bitch the next day . Heat stretch plastic or the right size of plastic rod works well for filling seems .

Looking forward on the next up-date Marc  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2021, 12:38:49 AM »
I'm sure you will nail it!
The end result will be nice, one round more or less - you will not remember.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2021, 02:26:40 AM »
Thank You everyone for checking in! Rick, yes, the time comes when you just have to accept it! Ferry, the time is soon! Andreas, we are our own worst enemy sometimes! But this is coming together... Ken, ACC is always a good idea, but needs careful timing and application... it can be difficult to sand and file, and then the plastic suffers! Surface primer is my go-to at the moment... Alexis, yes your advice is spot on... Frank, it's all about the fun, isn't it! But here is my final rendition before colours, the very small slightly matt areas will succumb to some finishing pads, I'm sure!

While this cures there will be a slight diversion...

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2021, 02:36:21 AM »
Smooth as a Babies Bottom Marc! I am looking forward to the colors!
RAGIII