Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...  (Read 25548 times)

Offline Monty

Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...
« on: September 21, 2020, 03:34:43 AM »
During a recent renovation I completely lost this kit when half my work area was converted into a flat for my daughter (Covid refuge, she usually works in Korea, was here on holiday and is still stuck here...) I found it again and I'm quite OK with the work I have done on it before, it is definitely a worthwhile project, I think... I am also inspired by Rick's efforts to improve this kit, I may not go nearly as far as he does, but a little extra work could turn it into a very acceptable model. I do have a Meng Tripe on the slow boat from China, here at the distant southerly tip of the Dark Continent anything important takes time... and I will add it to the thread.... Box top shown as it's not bad... pity about the RE8...

Well, I had some help from Mr Eduard...

Sorry, it fell over and the focus isn't great...

And I know you're all desperately hoping I Don't do the Red One, well, I've never done it before and now is the time... After all, it's so well documented, thousands of pieces of the airframe and fabric around, one colour, simple crosses, it should be easy... The green one should be good for the Meng kit... So, I have the wings together already, simple modelling, just be careful to align everything ... no warps, thin trailing edges, I know the span of all three may be a bit long, but it appears to be 1mm to me so that is OK... The detail on the bottom of the undercarriage aerofoil has been removed completely, and I won't replace it with the Meng interpretation yet, I'm not happy with that either from what I have seen so far...

And a start to the engine and cowling and some of the interior... The cowling has the lower lip extended with some white plasticard, then filed and trimmed to give a more refined edge turned a bit inwards... looks better to me... I hear from the latest research those nice plywood and spruce side panels should be slopped with red-brown paint, and the metal fuselage frame tubes should be black... latest fad, but hardly visible, so I'll go with it... fairly reluctantly... engine looks OK to me...

I'm quite fired up about it, and I value your comments and opinions, but please add some evidence (if you can) as the many, many opinions about this airframe can lead to a lot of heated discussion!

Enjoy your modelling!

Regards,

Marc

Offline Radarman

Re: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:17:28 AM »
Marc,
This will be an interesting build to follow. Thanks for letting us follow along.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 06:39:18 AM »
Great to see you back at the bench. Fingers crossed for the success of this project!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:34:56 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
Following with interest Marc  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:06:33 AM »
Closely following this one Marc. Nice to see the Roden kit getting some love.

Ray Rimell's forthcoming special on making the Fokker Dr.1 ( covering all major kits) will become an essential go-to  for Dr.1 modellers.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 11:57:29 PM »
Excellent start on your DR1. I guess this is what happens when you actually build vs Comparing kits  ::) Looking great although like you, I wonder about the red brown primer  8)

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:40:13 AM »
Thank You, Rick, Przemo, Kevin, Terri and Dave for following this one... I hope to do it justice! So I had a rare day off and some pleasant time to put into this one... I sprayed the framework black, did the red-brown on the plywood frames and even got some base-coat aluminium on here and there... good to get something done! The combination of colours looks very strange ... was it Richard Alexander who suggested this for MvR? We may have to use washes and highlighting to bring it  all together....

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:06 AM »
Excellent work on the basic interior and other parts. I just assembled My Pfalz so I am now switching to My dual DR1 build. It will be great to follow on your progress.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
Must admit , it does look different with the black frame and redbrown panels but she is shaping up nicely so far Marc  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »
Looks great Marc! I like the shade of red/ brown you used.

Everything lining up very nicely and the interior fabric shade looks spot on!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »
Great start, Monty.  I'll be following this because I, too, am leaning toward the red one when I get around to mine.  I just can't bring myself to do a streaked one!  Butt ugly!
Maybe Jacob's other black one before the motor change?

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 12:28:57 AM »
Very nice start!! Roden's kit just needs some love.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 11:18:18 PM »
Thank You everyone for checking in! And Ken, yes, the green ones are low down on the list and my Merit 1/24 will be JJ No: 2! Like Rick I'm using the Eduard PE, but it's relatively old, and the colour coating seems to be a kind of vinyl, it flakes off, cannot be glued back on and is resistant to lots of stuff... The new "steel" PE from Eduard is much better. So the Seat Belts got repainted, still need to highlight and touch up, remember the photo is mightily enlarged! The areas that will not be visible I'm not going to model, like the corners of the rear bulkhead..... I'm still having fun, so that's what it's all about!

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 11:30:02 PM »
Nice work on the floor, bulkhead and seat. For some reason I always struggle getting the frames attached to the seat and bulkhead!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 12:54:00 AM »
Never fear, Rick! Same for us all! There's lots of gluing, re-gluing and resort to superglue there! ATB, Marc.