Author Topic: Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.7 - 1/72 scale (converted Roseplane vacuform)  (Read 1163 times)

Offline PJ Fisher

Hi all,

As mentioned in my recent intro, I've been out of the hobby well over a decade but lately am itching to return.  Feel like Rip Van Winkle... the WWI model world sure has evolved since I've been gone - new kit makers and techniques, and much of the stuff I once relied on is long gone.  Have decided to restart by resurrecting a handful of long-abandoned unfinished projects.  Can't access my stash until later this summer, but first will be this in-progress R.E.7 dating way back to June 2003 (so the photo-stamps tell me).

Over 230 R.E.7s served the RFC and RNAS in light-bombing and reconnaissance roles, but no company has ever manufactured a model of this plane.  Having been developed from the R.E.5, it seemed natural that I could convert one from Roseplane's R.E.5 vacuform kit.  So I road-tripped from NYC to purchase two kits and some wing blanks in person from the fellow (Barry?) who made and sold them from his little shop in Pennsylvania.  I posted my completed R.E.5 a few weeks back. 

These three background images come from Scalemates and an old Internet Modeler review by Michael Kendix (https://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/april/first-looks/Roseplane_RE5.htm).

My subject build is based on a particular R.E.7 variant from late 1916, which was upgraded with a 250hp Rolls-Royce Eagle V-12, and a gunner's position aft of the pilot [foreshadowing the R.E.8]:

Here are my only work-in-progress images from 19 years ago:

I must have deemed the first application of PC10 too green because it looks like I repainted the wings a truer shade in that last image (whatever happened to Agama paint?).  I recall I was experimenting with shading the wing undulations and the overall weathering with pastels rather than paint (mixed success maybe).  Had a bit of a start on the cockpit details (I remember adding each wicker bit to the seat) but there was much more to do.  I'm curious to see this old fledgling in person again and see if I can finally make it fly.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Cheers,  Paul
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 06:26:19 AM by PJ Fisher »

Online RAGIII

Paul,
That is some really gorgeous work especially for 1/72nd! I am sure your results on continuing your build will be awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

Looking at the amount of detail in the photo of the engine and seat, it looks to me as though you have done the most difficult part. Adding the top wing will be fun - I suggest that you make a simple set of card jigs to help get the correct dihedral. (If you look up my post on the Hansa Brandenburg W13: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10489.30 or Phoenix Type A: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7037.30 you will see what I mean. They are simple but very effective especially in this the True Scale).

I have long had the RE5/7 on my to do scratch build list but have yet to get around to building one/them. Good to see that someone else is giving one a go. Best of luck and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Stephen.

Offline PJ Fisher

You know, I’ve never used a jig before but probably should have.  I will definitely read up.  Thanks for the links.

Offline WD

PJ,
    You're right, it was Barry. Sadly, the folks that bought Rosemont Hobby Shop supposedly threw all of the resin and vacuform WWI stuff in the dumpster.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
He and his resin and vacuforms are sorely missed. :(

Your work looks great, and especially so in the one true scale.

WD

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Your build so far looks great!! Glad you're back at it!!

Steve

Offline enathan

Rare types in 1/72, what could be better?...

Offline PJ Fisher

Sadly, the folks that bought Rosemont Hobby Shop supposedly threw all of the resin and vacuform WWI stuff in the dumpster. 

That kills... he produced some obscure subjects.  Any remember the Camel lighter?  I recall the day I visited I picked up a Caquot balloon on a whim.  I will never build it.

Offline PJ Fisher

Dat's what I'm sayin'!

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models

And a second from me too!

30 years into this hobby and I still have never been brave enough to tackle a vacform. This is great work. I doff my cap to you, good sir!

Cheers,

BC

Offline PJ Fisher

30 years into this hobby and I still have never been brave enough to tackle a vacform.

Cheers,

BC

...it's a different game now with these high-detail resins and 3d printing, but I really enjoyed the handful of old vacs I built.  They're not particularly difficult, just labor intensive (and they lack detail), but the experience really gave me an understanding of how the originals planes were put together, and the vacs offer a blank canvas if you ever want to customize.  I think I have just enough in-progress images of my RE5 build that could do a simple retro in-progress journal.  I learned many lessons.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 11:16:23 PM by PJ Fisher »

Offline IanB

This looks interesting! I much prefer vacs over injection moulded kits, and of course only in 1:72! They give far greater scope for modelling and offer much more choice as far as unusual subjects. Must get my back log cleared and start on that Caudron....

Ian