Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...  (Read 25323 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2020, 02:15:50 AM »
Well, once again baby steps, using the Eduard PE is certainly fiddly, 4 parts for the throttle quadrant, yikes! The rigging is their PE too... in the left corner of the photo are two cockpit instruments, I made thicker bodies for them from slices of sprue. That red handle comes from a repro Dr.1 but looks interesting... the plaques on the ammunition box I think will be visible, they may not be accurate but add interest!... Anyway, closer too assembling all this in the fuselage...

The sheet in the background is a teflon sheet that chefs use, given to me by my friend Doug, very useful as superglue and paint just don't stick to it!

Regards,

Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2020, 04:42:36 AM »
Your interior is looking Great Marc! I always have trouble with the bracing wires from that set. I screw them up more often than not. Yours look excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 12:27:43 AM »
Thanks for your confidence in my PE ability, Rick! Not sure I always agree and there are a few "blue" words now and then! Well, the cockpit is coming together, please forgive the odd shiny bit of superglue, I will touch up the visible bits with a little matt varnish, then it won't be so bad! The PE has delayed me a lot, but I must say the PE is beautifully designed for the kit, did Eduard and Roden have a pre-production chat here? This may bode well for the forthcoming Roden releases! Firstly a photo of the framework glued into the two fuselage halves... just make sure they are identically placed both sides, there's lots of connecting stuff in between!

And then some assembly... it suddenly starts to make sense... magnified many times on your screen, I'm sure... But it seems to fit well so far... need to add that extra bit of screen above the rear cockpit wall, I think...

I need to confess I'm enjoying this...

Regards,

Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 12:44:14 AM »
Hey Marc ,

Really like what you are doing so far on this bird . She is shaping up nicely in the pit so far , nice tidy work with the PE parts .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 01:02:58 AM »
Your interior looks Terrific Marc! Much better than mine in many ways  8) I am looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2020, 01:50:16 AM »
Great work on those interior bits, Marc. Looking fotwatd to more progress.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
   Coming along very nicely Marc, lovely work and inspiring. I have 3 Fokker Triplane kits sitting beside the bench presently: The Encore F.1, the Roden DR.1, and the new Meng version and have settled on which schemes to Build at least a dozen times! The only assured one is the F.1 will be done in the Voss Scheme. For the DR.1's it's two of the all red 425/17, Lothar von Richthofen's yellow highlighted 454/17, and Jasta 19's Hans Korner's "Lightening bolt" 503/17. Once I solve that quandary the next one is which to do first or , like RAGIII, which two to start with?!
   I too have reservations concerning that black frame however considering the source of the information I intend to follow the guidance. I am looking forward to this Build immensely, once I solve the foregoing questions this will prove extremely enjoyable. In the interim I'll be following your and Rick's progress closely, great work by both!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 02:32:20 AM »
Great 'inside job' Marc.

Offline FAf

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
Looking good - both paint and pe!
/Fredrik

Offline mgunns

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2020, 12:19:57 PM »
It's nice to see another Roden kit and especially the DR.I being built here on the forum.  Your work thus far is stellar and I will be following as well as you progress through the build.  I may have to break down and get the Eduard PE as it gives the modeler so much more to work with and dress up the interior with.  OUTSTANDING work thus far.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »
Excellent work Marc! Love the detail you've added to the cockpit.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Monty

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2020, 04:47:43 AM »
Thank You everyone for your encouraging replies! It does help motivate me.. Thank you Terri, Ken, Rick, Przemo, Gary, Mark, Fredrik and Lance.. I really appreciate the comments. I have done only a little work - I added the rigging using stretched sprue... yes, I know, old school, shock and horror, but very little shows in the cockpit.. I think my work here is done, time to close it up... I just put the ammo box in place to prove that not much detail in the forward fuselage will show..

Enjoy your modelling!
Regards,
Marc

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2020, 08:26:50 AM »
    Nicely done Marc, the "crisp and clean" detail in the cockpit really shines! I'm at the same stage on my Meng one, I'm going to test the stretched sprue technique for the interior frame bracing and, if it works out, borrow the technique from you. That'll be TWO BEERS IOU!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
Awesome Marc! It may be a slow pace but you are doing excellent work! I do of course, love the use of stretched sprue control wires having used that method on about 99% of My builds  8)
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2020, 03:17:50 AM »
Thank you all for checking in on the build, and there is progress! Thank You Lance and Rick for your comments, a frosty one would be welcome! I managed to get the fuselage halves together, so real progress. I still need to add the ammo boxes and fuel tank but these can easily be done from above, it's still open. The firewall behind the engine is on just to firm up the build progress. I did break off the transverse bar that supports the machine guns, both at the bottom where it attaches to the rudder bar and where is attaches to the side frames, so at one stage it was only held on by the rudder rigging wires! Full marks to stretched sprue rigging! Just eased it back into place, added glue and disaster averted... Quite a lot of fiddling to get everything aligned.. especially the firewall...

This is where that cockpit detail magically disappears..

Enjoy your modelling,

Regards,

Marc