Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...  (Read 25568 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2020, 01:33:02 AM »
Yes, nice work on the cowling.

Bughunter

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2020, 01:39:33 AM »
Looks better then my cowling in 1/8 in front of the Dr.I on the roof!

Cheers,
Frank
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:42:45 AM by Bughunter »

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2020, 03:43:19 PM »
just enjoyed reading through your build, great work on all the details and i look forward to seeing more

Offline Monty

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2020, 05:51:01 AM »
Thank You Frank, Terri, Steve and Tim for checking in! Yes, there is a little progress... however slight! I added the opening for the inspection patch for the top wing spar.. moved forward a bit.. needs some sanding... also the ailerons finished and added... and all the sanding on the fuselage... lots of layers and colours of putty here! Oh, and some details for the undercarriage wing lower surface.. Lots of little stuff, but no great real progress!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2020, 06:21:44 AM »
Excellent progress, Marc. That cowling really turned out nicely - great idea and follow-up.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2020, 09:13:01 AM »
Progress is progress and she is shaping up most excellent so far ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »
Your work on this one is looking great Marc! I like the addition of the inspection panel and the added pads to the Axle wing! Well done  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2020, 12:26:36 AM »
Thank you so much for the encouraging comments, Rick, Terri and Gary, I can feel a blush coming on... And today some time off, it's a public (Bank) holiday here and for once I have some time! I spent a bit of effort on the underside of the fuselage, since the kit is quite blank in this area... from the front, a curved plate coming down from the firewall with little cut-outs for the forward undercarriage legs, I used 5 thou card and sanded it back a bit... then the hatch under the forward fuselage, just card again, the latches just representative, may need sanding down, then a plate over the lower wing spar, it hides a multitude of modelling sins! After a lot of worry about representing the stitching down the centre of the rear fuselage, I read Spyro's thread and realized I had a completed DVII, so I took some household aluminium foil and burnished it down over the detail, flooded some superglue on the inside to hold the detail, then added some surface primer to keep the shape.. carefully cut out when dry and super glued on... the kind of 20 minute fix I like! It may not be perfect but is better than nothing in this difficult-to-view area..

Regards,

Marc

Offline acewwi

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2020, 12:59:48 AM »
Congratulations Monty, now looks like Dr.I  :)

Spyros

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2020, 04:22:58 AM »
Excellent details Marc! I also have been thinking about Spyros Idea for when I run out of Archer Transfers . Your DR1 is really taking shape now!
RAGIII

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »
Good job on the seamline, looks very fine. It might be in a hard-to-see spot but it's these little extras that make a model feel special :)

Have a great day,
Tim

Offline Monty

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2020, 11:04:55 PM »
Thank You Rick, Tim and Spyros for checking in! The encouragement and good advice is really appreciated...

The tasks for today were to attach the undercarriage struts to the axle wing, and here I simply had to get all the angles right first time... there is now a nasty filling job where the struts have a tie-bar, not present on the real aircraft, reach for the putty! Also the upper elevator cables run through the tailplane, I have modified the center section, so now need to add minute PE grommets (fortunately supplied by Eduard) and this took a few attempts... The tail plane seems to fit OK so it was added and glued.. That seam line at the front should be there, and it's not that small a gap in reality!

The picture may explain this all better...

All The Best,

Marc.

Offline Monty

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2020, 01:42:16 AM »
Some more progress, but just a little... the elevators are attached, and I dry-fitted everything to make sure they all looked OK... the cowling and wheel covers are loose, so the fit will improve! Good to see something emerging... The undercarriage assembly seems very weak, it fits but seems very shaky... I may have to use steel wire bracing between the legs to stiffen things up... Any ideas on how to do it better?

ATB,

Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2020, 02:16:17 AM »
You are catching up quickly to My build  8) Your work is looking terrific. As for the gear I checked one of My older ones and it does stiffen up a bit once glued. Not nearly as wobbly as a WNW Albatros  ;D I think the Steel Wire will help or perhaps Turnbuckles and Monofilament . I just used Stretched Sprue on Mine  ::)
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2020, 04:02:12 AM »
Marc, again impressive and careful work!
I think also a rigging with fishing line is stabilizing the gear. No force, which is possible between the model parts, will be able to stretch it.

Cheers,
Frank