Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...  (Read 25463 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2021, 04:22:15 AM »
Hooray, Monty's back! All those little instruments look great, it's good to see this back underway. Life really has a habit of getting in the way of the hobby doesn't it!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2021, 09:41:30 AM »
Excellent work on the interior Marc. Looks Fantastic!
RAG III
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online FAf

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »
Summer break is over! Hurrah!
/F

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2021, 07:20:57 PM »
Nice start!!

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2021, 02:44:34 AM »
Marc , super job on those details and your prop is beauty !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2021, 05:30:12 PM »
Neat work, Marc. Fingers crossed for the continiation!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Monty

« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2021, 01:38:45 AM »
Thank you everyone for your comments and encouraging replies. The Meng Triplane will make progress... and I have recovered from a terrible computer crash ( The new one does work beautifully now!) and I have returned from a two week break in one of those seaside places with No mobile or WiFi reception! Peace!

So I fiddled with the seat belts, you can see one looking very straight and another just starting the bendy process in the previous photo - what I do to try to get is that natural look to fabric belts. So here marked with tape (helps to hold it too) and bent:

And here I sprayed them a linen colour. I use Tamiya acrylics as it is a bit flexible when I work on them in situ!

Also fiddled a bit with instruments and dry brushing in the cockpit, but nothing photo worthy!

ATB,

Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2021, 02:54:47 AM »
The seatbelts look properly bent  ;D Excellent work Marc! Good to see you back on this one.
 RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2021, 06:33:20 AM »
A plus on the belts shape Marc  :) Glad that things are all sorted now  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2022, 11:47:04 PM »
Thank You Alexis and Rick for your continued encouragement - it is appreciated. So I hauled this one off the backburner... Wow! Last worked on it long ago! I never really scrap kits... OK the Merit Spad13 is an exception, but I carefully store them and come back to them when I get a chance. So the cockpit parts of the Meng 1/32 Dr.1 are coming together, rigging wires should be double but the imprssion is OK. I add some control wires but not all as things get messy for me! No, I don't have Przemo's skills! There is some nice detail here by WNW/Meng...

One thing that bothers me about the !/32 and 1/24 Meng Dr.1 kits is a slight gap where the fuselage meets the top of the lowest wing spar, just check this area on a few completed builds and compare them to photographs of the original. Although the fuselage and wing are definitely separate assemblies they fit close together... I have added a sliver of plastic card here to fill things a tad... I need to sand back and maybe add some surface primer. A small thing I know, but it bothered me!

Enjoy your modelling!
Regards, Marc.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2022, 12:21:00 AM »
This was discussed a wee while back, Marc and it is actually correct depending on which particular aircraft you are building. Some had a noticeable gap here between the spar and the connecting u-bolt.
Achim Engels posted some really useful pictures. If you search his posts you'll surely find it.
HTH
Sandy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2022, 12:36:45 AM »
It is great to see you back on this one Marc! Like Sandy said that gap is there but I am sure you are not the only Modeler that eliminated the thing. No one will notice and you feel better for having eliminated it, Win/ Win  8)
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2022, 11:24:42 AM »
I was recently gifted this kit so I'm following with much interest!!
Zac in NZ

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2022, 05:59:53 PM »
Truly lovely to see you back to this build, Marc. ;)
But you might have skipped that remark on my apparent skills...  :o
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Monty

« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2022, 05:05:25 AM »
Thank You Zac, Przemo, Rick and Sandy for the great replies and checking in. Yes, I am aware of Achim Engels and his great reproductions, but I have to reiterate there is no complete surviving Dr1 and not even a full set of factory plans so we are left with monochrome photographs, sketches and memory, none of which are infallible! I am led to believe there are enough bits and pieces and scraps going around the world to build three all red triplanes of a certain ace, but that is another story.

My own observations in B&W photos show the early F.1 and Dr.1's had a bit of a gap between the upper surface of the lowest wing and the fuselage, but this was much less on later airframes, and here I show two photographs, I admit my references are not the greatest, but here is some evidence!

Apologies for the quality, they are copies...

So what I was trying to say (my opinion) and I thought I did it quite well, (Together with British rail on the Underground with their "Mind the Gap!" campaign), was to simply say the gap is there for sure, but in my humble opinion Meng have it a little large and I have added the slightest sliver of plasticard to make it a little smaller... please forgive me my sliver!

I have started assembling the cockpit parts, a real trial. Just remember to remove all paint from mating surfaces (Just like any WNW kit) and trial fit, the tolerances are tight. I didn't remove all of the ejection pin markings on the inside of the fuselage, something I should have
realized earlier, as they interfere with the fit of the cockpit parts... I do suggest you do the rigging after getting the main cockpit assemblies together...

Some progress!
Regards,
Marc