Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...  (Read 25545 times)

Offline Fvdm

Re: Fokker Dr.1 1/32 Roden and maybe more...
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
Luckily you could restore the damage. Nice job.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2021, 01:19:18 AM »
Great recovery Marc! I hope the Kristal Klear holds! Perhaps these Triplane crashes can be classified as Art imitating Life  :-[ Lets hope you are back on track. I look forward to seeing this one completed  8)
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2021, 07:00:46 AM »
Oh Marc, it is hard to see a result of a crash in this late state :o
I hope for you, that the Kristal Klear can hold it together!
I must admit, that I use this glue for creating instrument glasses, but it is not very strong. I would pin it with thin brass, one side a bit bigger hole. If this is filled with glue, you can still move one side for a perfect match, but will get a much stronger connection even with that glue.

Just my thoughts ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2021, 02:46:23 AM »
Thank you all for checking in and the encouragement! Yes, repairs took a while! Alexis, I have an old red Porsche, now that is fast, red, and feels like I've spent 6 million dollars on it! Thank you for checking in, Ferry! And yes, Frank and Rick, the glue sounds iffy but I have had success with it before and it seems to be holding up! And it appears the paint has finally hardened, that took months! So on to the decals, and I must say these Eagles-Cal decals are a big disappointment. They are really, and I mean really, old decals, and have become brittle. There is a difference between fragile and brittle. Fragile I can deal with, (Like early Roden decals) but brittle decals just crack and chip and destroy themselves. So here there will be lots of patching up, smoke and mirrors and hiding stuff... sorry. One of Those builds!

Not a great photo ... poor light...

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2021, 03:12:17 AM »
I must say again that in spite of the issues this one is giving you the results to date are Terrific. I can't see the cracks and chipping in the decals but I will take your word. Or did you already touch them up? Looking excellent!
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
Nice that you were able to manage it, the picture looks great! I like red Dr.I!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2021, 04:36:35 AM »
Thank you Rick and Frank for checking in and the encouragement! Sorry about the slow progress,  but due to the many coats of paint and strange thinners I have used, I need to let every coat dry thoroughly before the next... so here touch-ups and tweaking. I didn't really like the grey bits representing the over painted maltese crosses on the fuselage sides, so I over painted them in white. I also touched up a few cracks and chips in the decals. It may not all be perfect, but I think the original aircraft was repainted often enough by hand for me to get away with it!

Not that exciting yet, but progress! A coat of semi-gloss to seal it all in next...

Regards and enjoy your modelling!

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2021, 06:13:49 AM »
Progress is progress be it a lot or a little! The crosses look excellent and I see no tell tale signs of your touch up!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2021, 08:35:07 AM »
Progress is progress be it a lot or a little! The crosses look excellent and I see no tell tale signs of your touch up!
RAGIII

Second this  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2021, 08:54:52 PM »
looks pretty damn good to me and when it comes to paint it takes as long as it takes  :D

Offline Monty

« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2021, 05:12:19 AM »
Thank you everyone for the very encouraging replies! Progress is slow. I did the semi-gloss coat using Tamiya's flattening agent mixed with their gloss clear acrylic - my go-to as I know I can get the effect I want and it is reliable. This takes the over-gloss appearance away, and I think helps scale effect. Then on to the dry-fitting to make sure everything will come together, and in this photo, no glue! Even the rudder stays on, the upper wing and even cabane struts just pop into place! Well done, Mr Roden! I need to do a lot of detail painting, wood effects on the wing-tip and tail skids and the MG's are started - some PE on but I need to get the courage up to roll those fretted jackets! I have got it right before (and also messed it up thoroughly...)

Some progress is always good...

Regards,

Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2021, 10:36:20 AM »
Progress is progress Marc and she is moving forward very nicely . Good luck with the rolling of those gun jackets  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2021, 11:01:29 AM »
I like your clear sheen mix! Looking great!
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2021, 07:09:58 AM »
Another nice progress in the "Red Fokker weeks". I should join ???
I have used HSS drill shafts for rolling jackets (there are very cheap set of drills in 0.1mm steps). Only a example:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/HSS-Spiralbohrer-Set-150tlg-0-4mm-3-2mm-Metallbohrer-Stahlbohrer-Satz-Koffer/142068960337

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2021, 04:14:20 AM »
Thank You Frank, Alexis and Rick for checking in and the encouragement! Well, it's on to the details, and I spent a good two hours just rolling the PE for the First MG! Yes, I annealed the PE first, but it is the old (Nickel-silver??) PE, as hard as anything, and using my trusty micro- screwdivers (hard shank - plus a handle!) managed to get one rolled (sort of...)

Many times larger than life on your screen, I'm sure.... So also painted the wheels, did the wood on the wingtip skids etc...

.. and stole the padding for the machine gun butts from the Meng kit....

Regards and enjoy your modelling!

Marc