Author Topic: Meng Fokker Dr.I  (Read 18021 times)

Offline Gisbod

Meng Fokker Dr.I
« on: September 06, 2020, 06:02:59 AM »
Hi all,

I found this on my doorstep this afternoon:

Sent by the magazine I occasionally write for. The Editor wants a quick build (!) so I’m interrupting my stash rota to accommodate - I’m nice like that  ;D

I won’t review it to death as it must be the most reviewed model release of all time... suffice to say that, as others have mentioned, you get the impression of a beautiful Wingnut’s kit boxed in an imposter format with fake instructions/ decals etc. I’ve been lucky in as much that my cockpit coaming attached to the middle wing is still in situ despite the very fragile connection. As for wing warping - I think mine are a little warped but I probably wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t checked:

Quite a lot in the box!

The instructions seem perfectly ok - but obviously, I haven’t tried them in anger yet, but clearly a poor relation to Wingnuts.

I’m tempted by these Montex assisted schemes. I think this is the fore runner:

Followed by maybe this:

I’m looking forward to work out how best to replicate the streaking...

At the bottom of the box (literally) he’d put in the new 1/32 ICM Stearman - no kit box. And mighty fine she looks too! What a super model subject with so many beautiful schemes!

Hopefully some progress to post soon.

Cheers,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline smperry

Re: Meng Fokker Dr.I
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 06:31:36 AM »
Guy
For all the ballyhooing about the middle wing on this kit, thanks for posting the first clear picture of the part that I have seen. I can see where that could easily break. I can also see how easy it would be to fix. What all the fuss tells me is that it is a great kit, otherwise there would be complaints about serious issues.
Good luck with your build.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Looking forward on seeing this unfold  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 10:04:23 AM »
Me too Terri,but desperately trying to resist the temptation to adjust my build schedule at the moment, since mine arrived.Maybe I can sneak it in if Guy finds it a straightforward project.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Jammed Vickers

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with it.
Wayne

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared."

Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, 94th Pursuit Squadron, AEF

Offline Europapete

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 11:56:15 PM »
Hi Guy, best get some Aviattic decals for the streaking. They do some nice photo etch too. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 01:06:54 AM »
I am really looking forward to your build of this kit! Mine has not yet arrived so I will certainly get some tips from your processes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 01:24:53 AM »
Thanks  :)

Hi Guy, best get some Aviattic decals for the streaking. They do some nice photo etch too. Regards, Pete in RI

Hi Pete, Yes they look great, but I’m still tempted to try and paint it.. I worry about the decal on the scalloped trailing edges  :-\  I see they do a ‘cookie cut’ set for the Roden kit, but I don’t know how well that would fit? Any thoughts?

I’ve spent a hour or so getting the parts off the sprue and cleaned up for the initial paint run:

Guy

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 03:56:34 AM »
Lovely to see you tackle this one, Guy! Mine arrived on Friday, so I'll be watching your build very closely indeed. Could you share with us the magazine it will eventually be in?
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 04:05:46 AM »
Thanks Gary,

Lovely to see you tackle this one, Guy! Mine arrived on Friday, so I'll be watching your build very closely indeed. Could you share with us the magazine it will eventually be in?
Cheers,
Gary

It will be Scale Aviation Modeller or the sister magazine - Scale Aircraft Modeller... as long as I don’t b*lls it up!

Guy

Offline FAf

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 06:45:29 AM »
Of course you should paint everything! Decals, that's cheating! 😀

No but seriously, there's a challenge that I like in trying to paint the streaking. I'm pulling up a chair and will follow your build closely.

Cheers
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »
Of course you should paint everything! Decals, that's cheating! 😀

No but seriously, there's a challenge that I like in trying to paint the streaking. I'm pulling up a chair and will follow your build closely.

Cheers
/Fredrik

When I get to mine I think I am going to paint the Meng kit and use Richards beautiful decals on the Roden kit  ;D I am looking forward to seeing your, not You, Streaking  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »
With all the reviews and comments about this kit it will be great to see one built. When I finally get to mine I'll be painting the streaking for the first time. I worry the decals would be too hard to make look realistic.

Offline FAf

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 03:08:45 PM »
When I get to mine I think I am going to paint the Meng kit and use Richards beautiful decals on the Roden kit  ;D I am looking forward to seeing your, not You, Streaking  8)
RAGIII

Who knows what pushes you over the edge?! It could be that streaking leads to streaking...   :D ::) Aviattic might be the sane  option?! [EDIT: sane not same]
/Fredrik
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 02:15:50 AM by FAf »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 09:54:29 PM »
I thought you would have this finished by now!

::) ::) ::)

Looking forward to seeing your rapid progress.
Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith