Author Topic: Ardpol 1/72 Resin LVG  (Read 5318 times)

Offline Gisbod

Ardpol 1/72 Resin LVG
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »
Hello all,

Haven’t posted in ages, but I’ve finally got round again to a WW1 model!

It’s a bit random, I bought it on impulse at last years SMW along with some Aviattic lozenge. I’ve been on a mini run lately of 1/72 biplanes, but they’ve all been inter-War up until now. As much as I enjoy building 1/32, they’re too big to display, so end up in a box in the garage, before getting thrown out at a later stage. So basically I’ve got zilch to show for about 40 years of modelling! I have this notion of actually keeping a collection in a display case - and I think 1/72 might just work.

So anyway, the kit is Ardpol (Polish, never heard of them), resin - I can’t recall ever making a full resin kit before so I’d be very grateful for any pointers here. I’ve washed the parts and I’ve spent an evening getting all the flash off (lots), but the parts are very fine indeed, quite impressive. The wings are translucently thin and clearly better than the recent injection moulded kits I’ve made. Questions I have though are:

Is super glue the only option for construction?

I’d like to bolster the attachment points (I’d usually use wire but the parts are so thin that that might be difficult) any tips?

Likewise the struts, too thin to attach anything.

Specific primer for resin?

Lozenge on the wings - can I just gloss them pre decals or will they definitely need primer/ paint/ gloss?

I’ve been using monofilament and holes, pulling through, gluing, then snip off followed by a light sand then painting then decalling the lower surface. It’s working really well, but might be tricky with a lozenges wing. I guess I could Lozenge the wing after rigging (the lower wing at least). Any thoughts? (I don’t like EZ line!).

It does however look like a very good quality resin kit. Good detail and very few moulding issues. No bubbles to speak of. It could be really nice I think if you know what you’re doing!

Anyway, a picture paints a thousand words, so:

And here’s my last effort. The ‘Vintage Classic’ Airfix 1/72 Hawker Demon - new boxing but the same kit from the 60’s but with more flash! Quite a few alterations to the kit, but it’s basically still a nice model:

Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Ardpol 1/72 Resin LVG
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:01:01 PM »
Hi Guy. Great choice!

Having built a couple of resin kits I think I might try to help you.
1. Ardpol kits are among the best resin kits I know.
2. You can use epoxy 2-component glue from Uhu - gives about 5 minutes of flexibility - especially nice when attaching struts.
3. I prime resin in the same way as plastic.
4. I would try drilling the strut tips with very fine drill - max 0.3mm and insert wire pins. Sometimes I just CA-glue wire bits to the strut tips without drilling - simple butt joint - seems to be enough for alignment while glue and rigging care for integral strength.
5. For 72 scale I would not use monofilament but elastic thread from worn stockings - you may want to check my tutorial on rigging in the other section
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:37:43 PM »
Ah thanks Prze,

What a very helpful answer!

There’s no way I can drill into the strut - it’s just too fine, but I hadn’t thought of butt attaching wire. I’ll experiment.

I just don’t like elastic thread! And I really like the stability the fishing line gives to the structure, but I will look at your tutorial...

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »
Ps sorry to be a pain Prze, but I can’t seem to find that, do you have a link?

Thanks,

Guy

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »
I'll second what Pzremol said.  I have several Ardpol kits (1/48 sailplanes).
I like the surface detail, which is very fine.  The decals are extremely thin and somewhat fragile, so be warned.
I believe Ardpol is out of business now, as I haven't been able to get onto their website, or find any new releases for about a year now.

I use CA glue and 5 min epoxy glue for resin kits.

A couple examples of the 1/48 sailplanes.  I have added some details, but not much.

IS2 Mucha

SZD Bocian

Good luck with your build. You may want to replace the resin struts with wire.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 09:59:40 PM »
Ooh they look nice Ken  :)

Yes, I’m super impressed with the kit now I’ve studied in detail. Just need to learn the tricks to use resin.

Out of interest, if I simplified it by ditching the lozenge, are there many German schemes out there for non lozenges wings for the LVG?

Guy

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 10:49:47 PM »
Ps sorry to be a pain Prze, but I can’t seem to find that, do you have a link?

Thanks,

Guy

No worries :-)
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7902.0

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 10:51:06 PM »
Ooh they look nice Ken  :)

Yes, I’m super impressed with the kit now I’ve studied in detail. Just need to learn the tricks to use resin.

Out of interest, if I simplified it by ditching the lozenge, are there many German schemes out there for non lozenges wings for the LVG?

Guy

You can do the Polish one:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9908.0

The guy who did the decals for mine 32nd scale could surely rescale them to 72nd

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 11:26:36 PM »
Super, thanks Prze   ;)

But I really want to do a German one!  :-\

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 06:05:46 AM »
Well,

Thanks to you guys, I did have a go at drilling into the struts and it actually worked! I think resin is a bit easier in this respect. I don’t think I could have managed it with standard plastic.

Hopefully, that will give the struts a bit of strength.

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 06:40:17 AM »
Ps

I have found a non lozenge option on the WW’s site. I’m still not sure, but as least there’s an option.

I love lozenge, and in particular the Aviattic faded lozenge, but it’s just whether I can do justice to it. I can’t see how I can perfect the finely scalloped edges.

I’ll have a think on that.

Guy

Pps

Would the demarcation on the camouflage be solid or feathered?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
Nice subject matter Guy  8) I have one of their kits in the stash . 72 scale Pfalz D.VII/III and it is a very nice kit . I don't build in this scale anymore but I do have a few of my favorites though which will get built .

Resin is really no different then working with a plastic kit . except for the type of glue used . For me I use super glue , thin and medium . I prime and paint just like I would if building plastic . Some types of resin sand very fast !! work slow and wear a mask when sanding . ( Wet sand when you can ) . Resin is strong but it it isn't overly flexible like plastic and doesn't take much for it to snap .

Nice job on pinning the struts  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »
Looks like a great kit! Nice work on drilling those struts. I have drilled holes through the wings on lozenge aircraft. It usualy only takes a drop of canopy glue and a ad of closely matching paint to adequately cover the exit holes. You also could do things the way you mention and cover the underside after rigging. I am sure you will work that out for yourself!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
I have also drilled in lozenge wings and it's actually easier to hide the holes than on a plain surface. Just cut matching lozenge section and apply over the holes! I would also agree about staying with monofilament, there's no chance of it pulling too tight or drying out over time. Every time I see an old rubber band it puts me right off even thinking about using elastic!

Looking forward to this one as I have it in my stash too!

Ian

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 09:05:12 PM »
Thanks Terri, Rick & Ian  ;)

Terri, I’d like to see your Pfalz - if your model bench is getting cluttered I could help you clear some space in your stash!

Ian, yes, I personally just don’t like elastic - I know it’s the latest thing and everyone uses it, but it just doesn’t do it for me. I love the rigidity monofilament gives the structure. And it won’t sag, age or get fluffy. It also looks like steel wire and has perfect uniformity whereas black elastic doesn’t.  Just my personal view!

I’m sure I’m teaching everyone to suck eggs, but I have a technique for fixing it which has been a revelation for me. I pull the line through, hang a set of those sprung closed tweezers to give tension then I use a sewing needle with the top of the hole cut off - giving a ‘U’ shape - dip in thin CA then push the ‘U’ into the line at the hole (underside of the wing) and Voilá! It draws beautifully into the hole leaving virtually no mess at all. The line is now fixed solid in place - impossible to remove unless you cut it. I used to put a blob of medium CA on the line then pull through, but this is messy and doesn’t always fix in place.

I’m sure that’s all obvious, but it’s helped me!

Guy

Ps I’m leaning towards non lozenge as it has to be a cleaner finish (around the complex edges) and I always strive for a ‘perfect’ finish (obviously I never achieve it!)