Author Topic: Ardpol 1/72 Resin LVG  (Read 5388 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Ardpol 1/72 Resin LVG
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 01:37:42 AM »
Moving along nicely.  As for the seam filling I wonder if Super Filler, super glue and Talcum powder, would work as well as it does on plastic?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2020, 02:38:52 AM »
Just found this Guy - somehow I missed it before. I have never built a resin kit so can offer no advice, but from what I have seen others do with them, and what you are doing with yours, they seem to be an interesting option.

I have a small collection of True Scale models in two glass cabinets and still have a lot of space. I prefer the True Scale just because I do not wish to move into the garage or throw things away. I am now building a 1/32 monster and built the Gunbus in the same scale because I wanted a different challenge, but if you stay with single and two seaters you should not have a problem with cabinets. A Manchester would also fit, although mine (a conversion from the original Airfix Lancaster moulds with wood engines, wings and tail fin), has its own perspex box for display.

This is going to be an interesting model when finished - whichever scheme you ultimately choose.

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2020, 04:02:35 AM »
Rick

Oddly the seam has worked out perfectly using the thin CA and no filler at all. I can never do this perfectly with plastic kits - there always seems to be the ghost of a line along the seam no matter what I do. Maybe it’s just a physical property of the resin? But whatever, I’m liking it!

Stephen,

Thanks, yes that’s the sort of collection I’d like. I think you may be thinking of the later Manchester. I’ve actually just ordered the one Prze pointed me to - this one:

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline smperry

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2020, 05:46:34 AM »
I have noticed the difference between plastic and resin seams too. St.Harry mentions that styrene glued with liquid plastic cement can take a very long time to fully dry out. That may be the reason for the ghost of a line. Plastic seams glued with CA are better if there is no excess CA. The difference in hardness between plastic and CA can make sanding a seam a nightmare.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 05:25:52 AM »
Looks nice so far! When I built my 1/72 models I usually drilled all they way through the lower wings, I lef these unpainted. Then installed 0,08mm fishing line rigging, I pulled it taut by hanging little clothe pegs on the ends, so they all have the same tension. Then I secured them with a drop of CA and left to dry overnight.
Then I remove the excess wire, fill and sand as needed, then maks the wing off with post-it notes and paint and decal the remaining surfaces.

I also use CA as filler on plastic kits, what really helped me with that was mixing in talcum power. It makes it less hard, but it sands equally well, even if left for a few days (don't ask... :P)
I can't remember where, but I also saw someone (I believe it was on Youtube somewhere) mixing in some colour pigment to make it easier to see.

Jeroen

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 06:12:14 AM »
Thanks Jeroen,

Yes, that’s basically the same method I’m using, but I find the thin CA gives an instantaneous bond so no drying overnight!

Sounds like a good tip with the CA filler. What consistency do you look for when mixing with talc?

I’ve gotten the primer on  - I’ve been totally converted to everything MRP lately, and this is their fine white primer.

These are the pre drilled wings:

And these are Barracuda Albatross wheels - the only weak part in the kit are the wheels (kit one below):

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
Nice work on the seems Guy and the prime looks nice and smooth  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 11:01:03 PM »
Thanks Terri,

I’ve got her ready to receive an oil coat for the fuselage wood effect...

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get old style crosses in decal form? I’m going for the non lozenge version...

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2020, 01:02:12 AM »
You are doing a Masterful job on this one. The seams or lack thereof now, look terrific as doeas the initial painting for the wood.
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2020, 02:33:29 AM »
Guy, what a great project! And that in Gods own scale and resin :o
I have some resin kits in stash, but have not build one of them. Additonal resin parts on my models told me, that I prefer plastic and PE ::)
So my respect is even higher! Again something to watch and learn ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2020, 04:14:31 AM »
Thanks Rick  ;D

And thanks Frank, it’s a learning process for me too!

I’m drawn to how fine the moulding detail is over plastic in this scale. The plastic kits I’ve got in the stash in this scale seem a poor comparison. Haven’t had any great issues with the resin so far, but there’s plenty of time!

I have had the one disaster though (as per usual). While spraying the grey panels I let the paint build up and had a run, which I then tried to remove and made a right mess! Schoolboy error. I then decided I’d have to strip the whole thing back. Not knowing how resin would react I made a trial on a scrap piece of resin then proceeded to spray the whole fuselage with airbrush reamer - stripped the paint off beautifully! Didn’t touch the resin. But, I also ended up stripping the whole cockpit too! I did my best to restore it by airbrushing through the openings, added some more belts. It’s a bit of a bodge, but tbh, it really doesn’t look too bad!

So primed again and I’ve got the oils on, I just need to give that a few days to dry before I seal it in.

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2020, 04:16:56 AM »
You have overcome the issues with terrific results! The wood is lovely!
RAGIII

PS: I should add that especially in this scale Less grain effect is best. Yours looks Perfect to Me!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
Now that looks sharp Guy  :) I'm also starting to believe with all the builds threads going on on the amount of mistakes taking place ....we all seem to be copying each other . Nice recovery and the pit still looks good . I might have 72 scale cross , will have to check my stash and if so they are yours if you wish .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »
Thanks Rick!

Yes, I’m frankly surprised the cockpit still looks fine - it was literally stripped of all paint. Perhaps I might leave painting of the cockpit til last in the future!  ;D. The reamer washed away the paint like it was a water colour under a pressure hose...

And thanks Terri,

That would be very kind of you.

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2020, 09:17:41 AM »
I checked my stash and I'm sorry to say that I don't have any 72 scale WW 1 decals left except for lozenge . Sorry Guy that I wasn't able to help you and I hope you are able to source some soon .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch