Author Topic: Ardpol 1/72 Resin LVG  (Read 5407 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Ardpol 1/72 Resin LVG
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2020, 11:17:42 AM »
Guy
You looking for Eisern Kruz or Balkan Kruz ?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
Thanks Jeroen,

Yes, that’s basically the same method I’m using, but I find the thin CA gives an instantaneous bond so no drying overnight!

Sounds like a good tip with the CA filler. What consistency do you look for when mixing with talc?

I mix it "by feel", but it's roughly the thickness of Mr Surfacer 500. I do use an old bottle of Zap-A-Gap medium, that might be a bit thicker because it is so old (still need to get a new one).
I also don't use accelarator as some do, because that seems to make the CA rock hard and difficult to sand. It also prevents the CA from levelling out a bit, resulting in a much more rough surface. Or it's just my clumsiness :P I leave it to dry, scrape the excess off with a scalpel and wet sand it until smooth. Most of the time (depends on the level of filling needed) one layer is enough.

Nice save by the way! As for crosses, I have an old Pegasus sheet, but that's the Austrian/Hungarian style, which look a bit different from the German ones. They are very old, though, and I don't know if know if they'll still work... Nonetheless, if you'd still like them just let me know the sizes and I'll see if they're on there (I used some in the past)

Jeroen

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »
Thanks guys,

SP, thank you (again!) - Eiserne Kreuz, as per the Wingnuts colour plan for the non lozenge version I posted, but don’t go out of your way! There must be a generic decal sheet of generic Eiserne Kreuz out there somewhere! There are tons of Balkenkreuz...

Jeroen, that’s helpful, I will try that. My last attempt on a plastic seam was an improvement- I used standard Revell contact glue - overdid the amount required and put the joint under pressure so it oozed out and that seems a big improvement! But I will try the superglue tactic. Thanks for the offer, but I will try and source the decals and see how I go.

Bit of a lull as I wait for the oils to dry. I had another mini disaster- I noticed a patch on the front that could do with a touch up (oils) but the oils already there had partly dried so it just made a mini mess - partly recovered  :P

All my mistakes tend to come from me over working stuff - basically meddling where it would have been better off leaving well alone!

Oh well,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online FAf

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2020, 03:48:42 AM »
Great work Guy! I have masks ready for the crosses if you're interested. /FAf

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2020, 04:37:15 AM »
Of course I am Fredrik!

I just felt embarrassed asking again  :) I’ll email you.

Guy

Offline smperry

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2020, 06:06:43 AM »
Guy
I have white outline eisern kruz 20, 18, 14 mm in width and length. They are Americal Gryphon and have to be cut out close, so if you need un-outlined crosses, you will have to just slice off the white outline. LMK how many of each size you need.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2020, 06:10:24 AM »
Ah thanks sp,

But I think I might go with Fredrik’s masks now as he’s just offered...

The thought much appreciated though.

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2020, 12:09:10 AM »
Afternoon,

Little bit further along. I’ve coloured in the wings! I do love purple on WW1 aircraft   ;D  only mixed the colours by eye to loosely match the Wingnuts diagram.

I sealed in the fuselage so I’m really just waiting for the paint masks for the insignia. But that’s no hardship as I can make a start on the Avro Manchester!

Guy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2020, 02:17:21 AM »
That looks wonderful Guy!  Thanks for sharing this interesting build.  She'll be stunning when you are finished, no doubt. ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2020, 03:17:33 AM »
Really coming a long very well , the wood really blends in with the purple camo  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »
That is absolutely beautiful painting and I Love the colors!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »
Really lovely color shades!
That will be a beauty and could be also bigger scale!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2020, 05:46:37 AM »
Thanks  ;)

But unfortunately I have to report a terminal update  :-\

Masks worked beautifully, the struts fitted like a pair of gloves, the top wing fell into place, rigged it easily.. then the whole structure collapsed - entirely my own fault.

When attaching the lower wings I was going to put a brass rod in to support them, but they did fit snugly so thought, surely CA will be enough? So I took the lazy option. Once rigged under tension the lower wings structurally failed! Totally preventable, part knew that would happen in my sub conscious - you get that nagging doubt..

But now I’m left with a ball of wings & rigging - not sure it’s worth saving now...

You live and learn - a lesson in resin. Shame because she was looking dandy!

Here’s where I got to:

Guy

Ps sorry Fredrik  :P

Offline smperry

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2020, 06:06:03 AM »
Guy, that is too pretty not to fix. Put her in a sturdy box and when you are stuck on another build, pull it out of the box and finish it. It will give you a boost to finish what you thought you were stuck on. Win-Win.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2020, 07:10:22 AM »
Guy, that is too pretty not to fix. Put her in a sturdy box and when you are stuck on another build, pull it out of the box and finish it. It will give you a boost to finish what you thought you were stuck on. Win-Win.
sp

I absolutely agree with SP ! Put it asside and go back when you forget the Pain  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler