Author Topic: Second Paper Card model: Short 184  (Read 8814 times)

Offline Gene K

Re: Second Paper Card model: Short 184
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2020, 01:22:05 AM »
... still I have to work on how I treat the edges.

Soft chalk pastels!

Gene K

Offline smperry

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2020, 01:27:30 AM »
I forgot that I have a small box of them stuck away, I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip Gene.'
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2020, 11:20:05 AM »
A little more progress on a lazy day. The black rod is there to secure the wings when they fold back. It is lacking rigging, but not for long. I'm not folding the wings, maybe if I ever land an Aeroclub kit.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
And I thought the SPAD rigging was challenging  ;D Looks excellent SP!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
The tail feathers are finally rigged. I added the lines supporting the bar that secures the folded wings. Additionally I cleaned up the paper struts supporting the tail float and added the rigging between them shown in the datafile.

The struts supporting the float are just paper. I cut them out and glued them in place at the correct angles with CA and when that cured, I coated each strut with medium CA applied with a fine wire stuck in a bamboo handle. They cured up more than strong enough to support the float. I may have to hold off on carving struts if this method works on longer struts.

sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
That tail assemblage and float look wonderful sp!  You are really picking up paper modeling quickly.  I’m learning a good deal from your experiences, and really appreciate your detailed descriptions.  I have now completed my second paper kit, and you are well on your way with your second!  Very nicely done.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2020, 10:50:32 PM »
The tail surfaces and float look Fantastic SP! Excellent work all around.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2020, 11:30:24 PM »
Joining late, a very interesting build. I like your care in detailing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline smperry

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2020, 12:04:16 AM »
Bob, Rick and Giuseppi, thanks for the compliments, your support is egging me on.
I overstepped the bounds of good sense and messed up a lower wing panel by making a cut score along the leading edge, so I will have to reprint that page of parts. The up side being I now have 3 more wing panels on which to practice LE scores. I know I need to use my dull butter knife to make the score without breaking the paper surface. What I don't know is do I make that dull knife score on the printed side or on the unprinted side? I have enough extra wing panels to do it both ways in order to find out for myself and that is exactly what I will do, I am simply curious how experienced paper card modelers deal with their leading edges. In the mean time I have cabane struts and a top wing center section to build.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2020, 01:17:42 AM »
I found a trick that works well. I had sprayed Krylon clear on some ink jet printed parts sheets that were printed on 176 gr cardstock. When I checked them this morning I found the Krylon had caused the sheets to curl. I then tried spraying the back sides of the sheets. When that dried they were still curled. Desperate not to waste the ink on the sheets, I grabbed the trusty Monokote iron off the pegboard and heated it up. I sandwiched the curled sheets between some regular typing paper and ironed them flat on the steel top of my magnetic building bench. Worked very well. I don't know how well it would work if only one side had been sprayed, but with both sides treated with Krylon clear, the cardstock ironed flat and quite usable. I have an extra printed piece of cardstock on which I will try spraying only one side and see if that flattens out as well as the pieces sprayed on both sides.

sp

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »
I'm on the road and just got some internet.  This is looking great, SP!!!!!!

Dan from somewhere on the open road...

Offline smperry

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2020, 03:08:05 PM »
I added the cabane struts. These are double thickness and colored on both sides. They were inserted into existing holes and when exactly the right height, (struts were marked), they got a drop of CA. Just enough time to ensure they were straight in all aspects. When that set I dabbed CA all over the strut  and it hardened right up exactly in place.

Bending the top wing center section was tricky so I built the radiator which mounts into the LE of the center section. That added a lot of support. Much fiddlyism to get he center section on straight. Even more to rig the cabanes.

The instructions tell me the the lower wings and mainplane struts are the next victims.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2020, 04:48:36 PM »
The wings with their scalloped trailing edges were a nuisance to cut out, but I got both wings more or less together, The strut ends were dipped in white glue and inserted into holes cut where marked on the wing. With just enough glue to hold them, they should be movable enough to fiddly them into their holes in the bottom of the top wing. Once they are in place I can go to coating them in CA. That paper coated in CA trick seems to work quite well.

The precarious perch is deliberate to illustrate the point that these card models are so light that dropping them rarely causes any harm.

sp

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »
Whoo-Hoo!  Looking great, SP.  Keep going...Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. It's going real slowly here Dan. I am using photo paper and even the back side is coated a bit, so the white glue, Aleene's Original Tacky Glue, is taking for ever to dry when I glue the trailing edges of the wing panels together. I have to wrap them in clear plastic cut from a sandwich bag and then clamp a steel ruler over the trailing edge and give it 24 hours. The plastic slows up the drying, but without it I would be gluing it to both the board and ruler.

sp