Author Topic: Second Paper Card model: Short 184  (Read 668 times)

Offline Gene K

Re: Second Paper Card model: Short 184
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2020, 01:22:05 AM »
... still I have to work on how I treat the edges.

Soft chalk pastels!

Gene K

Offline smperry

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2020, 01:27:30 AM »
I forgot that I have a small box of them stuck away, I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip Gene.'
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2020, 11:20:05 AM »
A little more progress on a lazy day. The black rod is there to secure the wings when they fold back. It is lacking rigging, but not for long. I'm not folding the wings, maybe if I ever land an Aeroclub kit.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
And I thought the SPAD rigging was challenging  ;D Looks excellent SP!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
The tail feathers are finally rigged. I added the lines supporting the bar that secures the folded wings. Additionally I cleaned up the paper struts supporting the tail float and added the rigging between them shown in the datafile.

The struts supporting the float are just paper. I cut them out and glued them in place at the correct angles with CA and when that cured, I coated each strut with medium CA applied with a fine wire stuck in a bamboo handle. They cured up more than strong enough to support the float. I may have to hold off on carving struts if this method works on longer struts.

sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
That tail assemblage and float look wonderful sp!  You are really picking up paper modeling quickly.  Iím learning a good deal from your experiences, and really appreciate your detailed descriptions.  I have now completed my second paper kit, and you are well on your way with your second!  Very nicely done.

Best regards,

Bob

Online RAGIII

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2020, 10:50:32 PM »
The tail surfaces and float look Fantastic SP! Excellent work all around.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2020, 11:30:24 PM »
Joining late, a very interesting build. I like your care in detailing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline smperry

« Reply #53 on: Today at 12:04:16 AM »
Bob, Rick and Giuseppi, thanks for the compliments, your support is egging me on.
I overstepped the bounds of good sense and messed up a lower wing panel by making a cut score along the leading edge, so I will have to reprint that page of parts. The up side being I now have 3 more wing panels on which to practice LE scores. I know I need to use my dull butter knife to make the score without breaking the paper surface. What I don't know is do I make that dull knife score on the printed side or on the unprinted side? I have enough extra wing panels to do it both ways in order to find out for myself and that is exactly what I will do, I am simply curious how experienced paper card modelers deal with their leading edges. In the mean time I have cabane struts and a top wing center section to build.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #54 on: Today at 01:17:42 AM »
I found a trick that works well. I had sprayed Krylon clear on some ink jet printed parts sheets that were printed on 176 gr cardstock. When I checked them this morning I found the Krylon had caused the sheets to curl. I then tried spraying the back sides of the sheets. When that dried they were still curled. Desperate not to waste the ink on the sheets, I grabbed the trusty Monokote iron off the pegboard and heated it up. I sandwiched the curled sheets between some regular typing paper and ironed them flat on the steel top of my magnetic building bench. Worked very well. I don't know how well it would work if only one side had been sprayed, but with both sides treated with Krylon clear, the cardstock ironed flat and quite usable. I have an extra printed piece of cardstock on which I will try spraying only one side and see if that flattens out as well as the pieces sprayed on both sides.

sp

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #55 on: Today at 01:27:30 PM »
I'm on the road and just got some internet.  This is looking great, SP!!!!!!

Dan from somewhere on the open road...