Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 38402 times)

Offline RichieW

Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!
« on: July 01, 2020, 09:54:00 PM »
Hello everybody, I have been so utterly inspired by the scratch builds on this forum and have been wanting to try something for a while.

Before lockdown started here in the UK I met this rather beautiful aircraft at Old Warden aerodrome, Bedfordshire, and wanted to make a model of it.

20191116_105458 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Isn't she a little beauty? The story of how she came to be is very interesting and can be read about in the book Rebuilding Grandad's Aircraft. In a nutshell the build used the original control stick, magneto and rudder bar from the aircraft flown by the author's Grandfather during WW!. These were found in his workshop after he passed away. There is a great DVD available too which some might like to look out for.

Nothing is available in 1/32 so in some ways it makes an ideal subject for a first attempt. Of course I have absolutely no idea of what I am doing so along the way I will undoubtedly make a horrible mess of many styrene sheets and rods but hopefully I will end up with something resembling Bristol Scout 1264. I have the Windsock data file as well as plans from a RC model website and have a trip planned to take a lot of detail photographs next week now that museums are reopening here.

I had a little play with 1mm square styrene strips, part of the framework confused me a little but I will these once I have a better understanding of the structure. Now that WNW have gone there is no 1/32 Le Rhone 9c engine available so I will have to try to make that too. The Special Hobby Nieuport Bebe in my stash does have a resin one I can take measurements from.

I am going to have a go at Vac forming the cowling, I was worrying about how to make a plug untilI found that the lid of an Encona Hot Sauce bottle is the perfectly matches the internal diameter of the Nieuport cowling. It even has an indentation in the centre to line up the cut out. The ridges on the sides have been caked in milliput.

Bristol Scout C by Richard Williams, on Flickr

It's not a lot I know but I have dipped my toe in the water at last. So the plan is to skin the framework, for the wings I may go down the balsa core route or I might laminate styrene sheet. Quite how to attach the to the fuselage is another story.

Thanks for reading, please feel free to offer advice or tell me I have got something very wrong. It's the only way for me to learn.

Back soon hopefully with something more interesting to show!  :)

Richie

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:17:28 PM by RichieW »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 10:33:09 PM »
That is a cool looking subject, Richie.  How you decided on this for a subject is exactly how it happens for me - I just see something that strikes my fancy.  I do the research afterward.
As far as the RC plans go, I would forget them.  For an RC plane to fly nicely, the tail surfaces are typically oversized from the scaled down versions that would be correct, or the fuse is lengthened.
As for the wings, they are quite thin, so I would laminate sheets of styrene and sand, sand, sand the profile.  Laminating will enable you to get the camber shape, otherwise, if the wings have a flat bottom profile, one could just use a single thick piece of styrene.
And good luck with the cowling.  I have been finding that cowlings in most kits are too small for aftermarket engines, so I have been matching the cowlings to the engine - meaning I acquire an engine before worrying about the cowling.  And then size the fuse to fit the cowling, even if it is slightly oversize.
These are just my thoughts and opinions, so don't think they are the best or only way to create your model.  One thing scratchbuilding affords you is the freedom to try any ideas you have and source parts from anywhere.

Good luck with your build and I'll be following along.  You'll probably inspire me to start my next scratchbuild!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 11:21:53 PM »
Very cool subject Richie!  Best of luck with it. 

Best regards,

Bob

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »
   You are indeed a brave man Richie! Your Tripe indicated you are ready for this step and I'm looking forward to following your adventure into the land of Scratch Building, a journey I've never tried other then some hand carved Balsa rockets as a youngster!
   Try an entry here on the "Buy-Sell-Swap-Trade" board for the LeRhone you are looking for, many of our members have stocked up on spare parts over the years and may well be willing to part with one. Also, I'm no expert however again we have a great resource of talent in the membership and I'm sure someone will have sources they can recommend for detailed drawings, a specific request in the Information/Questions Board might work.
   Good luck and good hunting!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 12:12:06 AM »
Richie...wonderful idea...love the Scout....have you looked at NeOmega-Resin's 1/32 LeRhone 9C?
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »
Thanks chaps,

Some good advice already and I haven't really got started yet!

Ken, laminated styrene it is then.

Doug, you are a gem. I wasn't aware of neOmega's engine. I will look that up right away.  If I can't get hold of one I will post as Lance suggests to see if anyone has one they don't need.

Looks like I may get to use the rest of my bottle of Hot Sauce if I get an aftermarket engine. I may still have a play at scratch building one just for the sheer hell of it! Will have plenty of time on my hands after this week so hope to crack on and have something to show you soon.

Thanks guys.
Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 01:47:31 AM »
WOW Richie! I am looking forward to this one. Like Lance said your Tripe shows you are ready. A bit of an aside here,the Bristol Scout was the first and Only attempt I ever made at scratch building, Although Mine was in 1/48th, no Eduard kit at that time  8) I got as far as having the fuselage, lower wings and cowling assembled. I forget if I lost  interest or just gave up. You have made a Great start on yours!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:42:48 AM »
Am I following you again then Rick? ;)

Hoping to get a finished model at the end. If I don't at least i would have picked up some new skills. :)

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 02:45:43 AM »
Holy moly - I'm in and follow closely!

There was a company Gavia, long out of business, but luckily I was able to catch their Bristol Scout C kit in 1/48. And if I'm not completely wrong the decals of your marking are included and my plan is, to build this one.
So of course I'm also interested in the museums pictures you will take :) Have a nice trip!

Have fun!
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 03:20:39 AM »
Holy moly - I'm in and follow closely!

There was a company Gavia, long out of business, but luckily I was able to catch their Bristol Scout C kit in 1/48. And if I'm not completely wrong the decals of your marking are included and my plan is, to build this one.
So of course I'm also interested in the museums pictures you will take :) Have a nice trip!

Have fun!
Frank

Thanks Frank, I will put all the photos into a Flickr album and see if I can add them somewhere on the forum. Anything specific you want to see? I'm hoping to get there on Monday.

Richie

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 03:55:37 AM »
Nothing special. May be some close shots of rigging, landing gear, tail, struts. I think any picture that will help you with the build will help me to ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 04:12:44 AM »
Richie, I was just looking around at the Wikipedia page for the Bristol scout.  It says your aircraft is a reproduction of an original Bristol Scout C number 1264, which was one of the first batch made for the RNAS.  These planes originally had a Gnome Lambda engine (7 cylinder, 80 hp).  The German Oberursal U.0 is a copy of the Lambda engine.  Well, it just so happens that Taurus Models makes a U.0 in 1/32 scale.  So, you can conceivably make an accurate model of the Scout C number 1264 with the Oberursal engine masquerading as the Gnome.  Additionally, Taurus Models is also developing a Gnome Lambda engine, but no telling when that will be issued. 
Just a potential option for you.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 04:41:05 AM »
Thanks Ken, yes that was definitely an option. Captain Bremner (the pilot who flew 1264) had the Gnome replaced with a Le Rhone because he was fed up with being unable to keep up with the Nieuport 11. It seems that although both engines were rated as 80hp the Le Rhone delivered a lot more torque.

I think you'd love the book Ken, it's full of useful information and there is an interesting encounter with an Eindekker too. They were tough boys back then!

Will definitely have a look at the Gnome engine, many thanks.

Richie

Offline smperry

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 05:21:30 AM »
Richie
I think you picked a great subject for a scratchbuild. Constant chord wings, slab sides and simple curves with no compound curves. Not to mention great colors and markings along with an interesting history. I'm looking forward to following your adventures with this one.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 05:29:22 AM »
Interesting subject, surely nice to follow.
Ciao
Giuseppe