Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Fokker Dr.I Josef Jacobs  (Read 9409 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: Roden 1/32 Fokker Dr.I Josef Jacobs
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 06:59:58 AM »
That cowling is drool worthy.  What tool do you use to cut the fragile part?
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
Thanks for commenting, everyone.  I'm gaining more experience machining these thin pieces but every one has a high pucker factor.
GazzaS - don't know which part you are referring to.  Both parts are fragile.  I machined the main cowling on a lathe and drilled the rivet detail on a mill.  Then cut the cowling piece out using a jeweler's saw.  The faceplate was drilled, then cut out using scissors, followed by filing into a final shape.  I did some grinding on the cowling with a Dremel tool to thin it out more from the inside in a few spots.

I got the engine, cowling, and firewall fitted together, but had to cheat.  The engine is pushed up against the firewall and I had to remake the firewall from thinner material to get everything together.  Otherwise, the cowling would have had to be too thick, or wouldn't have fit over the engine.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
Dame ! , I'm packing it in and selling everything off ! Super job on the cowl Ken , just outstanding ! 8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline dinor

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2020, 04:10:11 PM »
WOW ... WOW... WOW  ;D

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »
Then cut the cowling piece out using a jeweler's saw.

This is what I wanted to know. 

You see....  a while back....  I built the 1/48 Monogram B-29 and foiled it.  But I wasn't happy with the way the foil looked around the canopy glass.  So, I tried to make the whole canopy framing out of aluminum.  I used a hammer and dies to beat a flat piece into the shape desired by shrinking.  BUt one of the things that I never figured out was how I would cut out the holes for the clear parts without warping or mashing the framing.  It's a moot point anyway as the project languished and finally got round-filed.

Thank you for your answer.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline kensar

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
Anytime, Gaz.  I'm happy to explain in more detail how I fabricate things.

Bughunter

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2020, 06:36:49 AM »
Oh yes Ken, that is the master template of Dr.I cowlings of the Fokker factory in Schwerin!
It looks better then the Cowling on my 1/8 Dr.I from Hasegawa under our living room roof. It is thin alu, but in one piece. Yours with the middle extra part is much more original. 
Well done Sir!

If you will scratch one day a 1:1 aircraft I would fly with it because I have a deep trust in your work.

Cheers,
Frank

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 03:12:34 PM »
That cowl is a true thing of beauty  :o

Bravo!

BC

Offline Borsos

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2020, 08:42:46 AM »
Fantastic progress on the cowling and the decals!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline kensar

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »
Frank - you'll have to wait awhile on that 1:1 airplane.  I have too many models to build first!

Brad and Andreas - thanks for commenting.

Seems a shame to put paint over the aluminum cowl, but that's how it goes.  I am continuing with painting the components and will soon be assembling them.
Just saw the Meng Dr.1 to be released.  May have to get one.

Bughunter

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2020, 11:07:02 PM »
That is also a interesting question: how do you prime alu? I had big trouble and prefer only alu parts if I can leave them unpainted.
Even CA do not hold, my best experience was the clear Gunze "Mr. Metal Primer" and let it cure long enough before painting the final color.

Cheer,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2020, 04:19:41 AM »
Absolutely wonderful work, Ken! The finesse and talent just take this to a new level... I am in Awe! Can't wait to see what transpires.. I will watch with great anticipation! Regards, Marc.

Offline kensar

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 12:19:49 AM »
Thanks for commenting, Marc.  I appreciate all the complements as they help keep the motivation high.

Frank, for aluminum, I have been using Tamiya white primer, sprayed on very thin leaving some metal showing through.  Paint still scratches off easily though.  I read that paint won't stick to aluminum because of the smooth surface, but I'm not totally convinced that is always the case.  There are primers for aluminum available in stores here.  It has a acid that etches the surface so paint sticks to it.  I don't know what happens to the acid, though, whether it just stays on the part or get neutralized somehow.  I may try some of it someday.

Anyway, time for an update.  I've been working on numerous things, all in progress at this time.

Cowling painted black with smudged fingerprints on it.

It has two out of three wings on it.

I can't believe how weak and spindly the landing gear legs are.  There are no attachment points either.  Hopefully, Meng/WNW has addressed this on their kit.  I was drilling some shallow holes for the legs to locate in, when the drill blew through the fuse just above the wing root below the engine intake.  Another repair job to do!  One can see how easily dirt and dust shows up on a gloss black surface.

Jacob's plane had these reinforcing struts on the landing gear.

Wheels.  Don't know if the access to the valve was open or not.

Still many details to finish on these items I've shown.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2020, 12:28:57 AM »
Once again the cowling is amazing! The gloss black finish and markings are also gorgeous. I am sure you will have no issues repairing the Small Glitches.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Europapete

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2020, 12:44:50 AM »
There is so much to learn here, stunning work. It looks like you made the cowl so thin by machining down from the outside with the workpiece supported on a puck?  Regards, Pete in RI