Author Topic: Nieuport 24 1/32 Roden  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Nieuport 24 1/32 Roden
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 02:08:41 AM »
Thank you for checking in and your comment, Andreas, it gives me hope! Thank you too, Richard, all encouragement helps! I haven't got much further yet, got a decal on for the lonely dial in the cockpit, and did some detail painting. I did a lot of scraping and filing on the metal forward upper fuselage panel (on the right of the photo) I was surprised at the fit problems, but glad I sorted them out now. And yes, I'm guilty of distraction.. some of the detail painting continued on the von R Albie, well, the paints were open! Amazing how precise the fit..here the fuselage frames are all dry fitted...

All the Best,

Marc.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 08:34:24 AM »
I'm not familiar with this kit, and I'm really liking the look of it

As to getting distracted, I have a SPAD VII, a SPAD XIII and a Spitfire MK.IIc active at the moment....

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Monty

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 05:11:41 PM »
Actually a very good kit, Richard. There are plenty of fit issues though that need care. And as for distraction.. Yes! We are in the golden age of modelling, so many subjects so little time! ATB, Marc

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 03:12:43 AM »
Just a little colouful detail; The Eduard PE seatbelts added, I usually bend them up a bit more to get some natural folds in them, but I so didn't want the painted red and black stripes to flake off! They were really easy to use.. It may just need a dirty wash to match the rest of the 'pit!

Regards,

Marc

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 05:58:10 AM »
There is a lot of work on the Ni24 cockpit and also lot of fixing fo structural parts. You are doing a great job on a kit looking really challenging. And nice interior work on the Albatros also.
Waiting for updates.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 03:57:26 AM »
Hi Monty!
Great build until now, Ni.24 was an elegant little sesquiplane and you are doing a beautiful work.
Only two things: "guide" for feet under rudder bar were metallic, it seems you are made them in wood.
Metal stripes around struts were embedded in wood, not in relief as ALL kit producers print them. I used to scratch away and simply paint them on struts.
My two cents about livery of this plane: in the site of Albin Denis that other modeller signalled to you falcon of Escadrille 75 is presented yellow (gold) and black.
In orthocromatic photos yellow became black, so I think that Roden made a mistake with black falcon. Profile by David Mechin of your subject confirm my doubt.
Five colors camo, as someone stated before myself, was applied at factory, but over ALL upper and side surfaces, why your Ni.24 have nose and wheels metallic painted? My opinion is that N3987 was a metallic one with camo applied on field, so without rules of Nieuport factory. Looking at the only known photo, it's possible that a single solid green was used to cover fuselage and, maybe, wings (we can't see wings in photo. Or green and brown? Here another interpretation: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/113/21/2 . This time again with black falcon and wrong CDL undersides.
My two cents!
Roberto

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 05:31:15 AM »
Hi Roberto, thanks for checking in! You do certainly provide some food for thought, and a few of the issues you mention I have considered, tried to research and simply guessed at already... Those floor boards, or heel plates you refer to are depicted as wood in most models I have seen on line, also in most kit instructions and in most reproduction aircraft... not that this means much! The only surviving Nieuport a 23, (Belgian and obviously rebuilt) has... wooden, straight boards as far as I can tell.. The 7000+ Nieuports were built by 5 manufacturers at least, so no-one can really tell today what was used for sure... Wood looks pretty to me! There is something, somewhere about the falcon insignia that claims on light coloured aircraft the background oval was blue and the falcon yellow but I can't find it now. The only photograph of this aircraft shows a white background (Almost for sure) and I don't think a yellow or gold falcon would provide much contrast, I think black is not a bad call on a dark background.. I'm happy to accept the kit decals. I agonized a long time over the camouflage, and looked at many prints of this photo - eventually I persuaded myself that there were camouflage demarcation lines (feint) on fuselage and tail - I will go for 5 colour. Why the silver wheel covers and metal panels around the nose? And then it hit me - these are actually personal markings, these are all panels easily replaced and paint removed or doped silver, and the aircraft would look very different in the air with a basically silver nose... does this make any sense? I'm also happy with silver undersides, although this may not be the most common option.. Anyway, I do like discussing the options, research is never finished and I do enjoy hearing other opinions!
Regards,
Marc

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 04:36:40 AM »
I have absolutely no idea about the colours, but it looks very nice so far!
Those seatbelts look quite unusual color-wise, I wonder what the reason for that was :)

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 08:17:32 AM »
Hi Marc!
First of all I made my apologies about color of floor boards, my memory betrayed me. So it's ok wooden color, I checked in my files...
About colors of N3987 I want only add that, checking Nieuport Fighters Vol.2 by Albatros Production, 5 colors camo started to be applied on French planes from October 1917, so when Nieuport is in production of Ni.27. In the section "Colors and markings" Ni.24 and Ni.24bis are described as overall aluminium doped, first examples of Ni.27 too.
In same book, photo 3 shows Ni.24 bis N4495 with same aluminium nose and camo fuselage as yours, just for complete infos.
Checking serial numbers, in same kit you have N3961, 26 numbers before yours and it's undoubtely overall aluminium dope, so it's sounds strange to me that N3987 was 5 colors camo. Sounds much more strange to me as a silver nose as personal markings in French Aviation Militaire (N4495 too?).
But, at least, it's your model and you may realize as you want and like it!
I continue to follow your next steps!
Roberto

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 07:35:28 AM »
I am sorry it has been so long since I checked in on your build! It is really looking Terrific! The wood in the interior is exceptional and I love the seat and colorful belts!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2020, 03:30:04 AM »
Thank You Rick and Roberto for checking in! Your comments are appreciated! I haven't posted here for a while... well, I got Covid-19 and was quite sick. I'm recovering now, I'm back at work and slowly picking up on the modelling. Covid affects your concentration and memory often, (amongst it's other nasty long term effects) and I'm really struggling at times - I feel like this build has been done by someone else! So the progress photographs are as much to show you where I am as to help me! Fortunately there was little damage in the box, the lone instrument is loose, and I repaired the rudder pedals already... There are colour notes on the instructions and I've just got to work out how I planned to assemble the cockpit - I know I had a plan before!

Regards and please keep safe,

Marc.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2020, 04:28:48 AM »
Marc,
I hope you continue to get over the Covid-19 setback. I look forward to the progress you make with this build.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »
Marc

So sorry to hear you have been a victim of Covid 19 and I am delighted to hear you are recovering. Warmest wishes to you for your ongoing recovery!

Your Nieuport is looking really good and we look forward to seeing the build resume. It looks like its a kit that rewards a patient modeller!

kindest regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
   Sorry to hear of your brush with this nasty virus, Marc, but absolutely delighted to hear you've "come out of the woods"!  Take your time spinning up again and
finding your place marker on the Build, there's plenty of time to catch up!
Cheers,
Lance     

Offline smperry

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 11:51:10 AM »
Wishing you a full recovery Marc.

I think you really got the interior wood just right. IIRC, Nieuports used some kind of processed board, not plywood, on the wood covering the front of the fuselage. Your rendition looks quite right to me.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.