Author Topic: Nieuport 24 1/32 Roden  (Read 6737 times)

Offline Monty

Nieuport 24 1/32 Roden
« on: April 19, 2020, 06:51:35 AM »
Well, here is my build for the Corona virus thing... started a bit a while ago, but still not very far. I would like to do the colour scheme of Sous-Lieutenant Herisson - on the box top - but I can find no info or pictures, can some one point me in the right direction? Even a poor quality photograph would help....

Small steps today, some primer on the prop and after scraping down the rim on the outside wheel covers putty to hide the strange dimple details... wheel covers were quite plain on these Nieuports...

Hopefully more soon,

Regards, Marc.

Online RAGIII

Re: Nieuport 24 1/32 Roden
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:47:48 AM »
I am looking forward to your renewed progress on this one. I actually have one Stalled on My SOD!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline buzby

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »
There might be something here:

http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille075.htm

For instance:

Nieuport 24 n° 3987 de l'Adj William Hérisson - Dessin David Méchin que je remercie pour son aide.

Richard

Offline fixman

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 10:29:13 PM »
nice start 

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 11:34:23 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for checking in! The help is invaluable! Buzby and Richard, your Google is better than mine and provided great info and details! The photo of Sous-Lietenant Herisson and his aircraft is exactly what I was looking for! It seems that Roden's interpretation of colours is quite plausible - and that's what I wanted to know! Now to beg a little more - does anyone have a pattern of the 5 colour camo on the 24? The Roden one does look OK, but is a little furry... And I did get a little done - baby steps...

Here I cleaned up one interplane strut... took an hour! Compared to the Roden provide one...

And just for interest sake, thought I would mate it up to the underside of the top wing...

There would indeed be a nasty surprise coming later in the build.... interestingly, I have a suspicion the holes in the wing may be right and the V in the strut  being too wide... way back in the corner of my mind I read about the top wing of the 24 being almost totally new, the front spar was moved back and the leading edge covered in plywood.. visible in the kit... but the rear spar would have to be in the same place, aileron controls, hinges etc... so the V struts would not be the same as the 17... Any ideas here? I also cleaned up and used some surface filler on the fabric wheel covers and prop - they look a bit messy here (putty and primer) but are really quite smooth!

And lastly, I found a few surprises in the box - some instrument decals, none supplied in the kit, but I only need one apparently! Some brass wire for mounting that lower wing to the fuselage (still thinking about and researching that) and some seatbelts, I have no idea which ones to use, but please tell me the funky red and black ones are OK!

Regards,

Marc

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 01:17:18 AM »
Just a quick mid-week update - no real progress but I did answer most of my own queries by finding this datafile on my shelves, worth it's weight in gold! I knew I had something on the late Nieuports... it has a five colour camo pattern drawing too! It seems to me the fuselage and all the black patches are hard edged, but the wing patterns seem to be sprayed with soft edges... Any thoughts?

I also left a photograph off the last post... I will make amends...

Let me know about the seat belts please! The wire will help mount the lower wings... Some cockpit sub-assemblies too.. Then I found the one wing strut V was too wide, the other was right - so I bent and butchered the wrong one til they were the same...

And then I found a "fitting" moulded at the site of one of the holes for mounting the lower wing (see at the tip of the blade), now this fitting is not visible and completely disturbs the fit of the wing root to the fuselage - it should be a flush fit. And the sweep back and dihedral of the wing suffers making things very difficult - shave it off as seen on the other fuselage half! Everything seems to fit much better... the holes need some clean out too..

This will be a critical join so needs some care...

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:27:10 PM »
Looking good to date! You have been more successful than I was in getting those interior bits together. Nice catch on the strut! Something for Me to look at if I ever go back to mine!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 03:18:02 AM »
Thanks for checking in Rick! Yes, that metal frame looks like a fragile and complicated structure but it actually goes together quite well and even fits quite perfectly! I'm so tempted to paint it blue... Today I spent time chucking paint around as it makes me happy... these are basically undercoats, lots of detail painting and washes and dry brushing to come... I do put some strips of masking tape on the mating surfaces where necessary, it does save assembly grief later! I'd better let this all dry properly...

Enjoy your modelling!

Regards,

Marc

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 07:08:37 AM »
Just a quick mid-week update - no real progress but I did answer most of my own queries by finding this datafile on my shelves, worth it's weight in gold! I knew I had something on the late Nieuports... it has a five colour camo pattern drawing too! It seems to me the fuselage and all the black patches are hard edged, but the wing patterns seem to be sprayed with soft edges... Any thoughts?

Well.....

I think the painting would have been done in two places, and either place would always have done the same thing

The factory painted the camouflage, rudder and cockades. Units painted any additional markings specific to Escadrilles and pilots

So - the fuselage and wing painting would be done at the factory, and most likely done in the same way. If the fuselage was done by hand, so would the wings and both would have hard edges. Likewise if they wee sprayed, they might have soft edges

I'd be surprised if unit level painting was done with anything other than a paintbrush*

Richard

*I am continuously surprised by new discoveries

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 01:41:16 AM »
Looking good so far, Marc! Glad you went for the Nieuport, such a pretty machine :)

Jeroen

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 02:22:32 AM »
Time for an update! Thanks for that insight, Richard! I did a bit more searching and came across "Project Butterfly" of course, and there are some great insights there. But on carefully studying the available photographs I feel the camo is all hard edged and factory applied. I will use the WNW suggested Tamiya colour mixes, and just see how it turns out! Undersurfaces in the silver dope, I agree with Roden there and it is a definite possibility... Jeroen, the reason I started up again on the Nieuport is due to your input - I don't regret it.. Thank You!

Well, on with the interior painting! An oil wash, touching up with clear orange (Tamiya acrylic) to emphasize the wood and some detail painting, but more to come! The interplane struts are sprayed silver so I can mask the taped bands and then do the wood - just my idea, we'll see if it works! The prop, engine and cowling are just started and put together to check the colour and contrast - more painting to go! The fabric wheel covers are sprayed silver just to check my corrections - looks like it will do!

The interior may just be a bit messy - but I confess I never met a really clean cockpit! This kit has it's problems - test fit everything and be prepared to butcher things to fit... location of parts takes a lot of care, I fiddled a long time and glued twice to get the forward cabane struts to line up.. note they angle backwards lightly, this is correct..

Regards and enjoy your modelling!

Marc

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 02:55:39 AM »
Oh, this is a very nice Cockpit, Marc. Lovely wooden tones all around!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 03:24:50 AM »
Oh, this is a very nice Cockpit, Marc. Lovely wooden tones all around!
Andreas

The wood is beautiful

Richard