Author Topic: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke  (Read 87572 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2020, 07:36:20 AM »
Thanks for the idea about the lens wipes Rick - another one to put away for possible future use. Good strt  too - but I still do not quite understand why you have to build three simultaneously!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen! The reason for three is because they are there  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »
The basic wood tones are done in all three now. I will go back and do a little with Tamiya clear yellow and orange...but not much!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2020, 08:24:07 AM »
Three Spads makes sense in that Spads have a lot of colors and details not too common to other WWI planes. Once you round up all the stuff for one Spad you might as well gather a little extra and do 3 rather than 6 mos or a year later, you have to round up paint and details again.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2020, 07:16:45 PM »
Good start Rick, this will be a big test of you organisational skills but I know you'll do a great job! My workbench is a major disaster area, must have a clear up!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 12:54:48 AM »
Three Spads makes sense in that Spads have a lot of colors and details not too common to other WWI planes. Once you round up all the stuff for one Spad you might as well gather a little extra and do 3 rather than 6 mos or a year later, you have to round up paint and details again.
sp

Thanks for the Idea SP! I just used it on Face Book as an answer to why build 3  ::)
RAGIII

Good start Rick, this will be a big test of you organisational skills but I know you'll do a great job! My workbench is a major disaster area, must have a clear up!

Richie you obviously have not seen My bench photos in the thread for show us your work bench.  :P I am not organized at all! I just accidentally move forward...unless I have one of those backward moments!
RAGIII

PS: here is a link to the thread but Mine is after a major cleanup. I mention 4 bags of trash! There is another thread somewhere that shows My bench in its usual status!

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9814.0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:01:10 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Vickers

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 02:47:39 AM »
3 SPADs is an ambitious endeavor and these are already looking good! I tend to build in pairs, although I've occasionally built 3 or 4 WWII types in parallel. I agree with smperry, it does seem more efficient. Sometimes I almost dread the more tedious tasks like pin washing panel lines on three or four models; I usually end up feeling like Jack Nicholson sitting at a typewriter. I once built an H-75, a Fiat G.50, and a Bf 109G-2 that were all in the same Finnish livery and by the time I was 2/3rd finished with all of the masking I was about ready to just dip the last one into a bucket or black paint and call it recognition model. Discipline and patience, I suppose.

This will be a fun project to watch, RAGIII, and I'll be paying close attention to learn all I can from your build.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline RichieW

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2020, 02:59:53 AM »
Haha, Rick that is a great thread! I see what you mean, 4 bags of trash on top of that would have looked spectacular. I must add one of mine too although I'm not feeling quite so bad about it now. ;)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2020, 03:09:52 AM »
3 SPADs is an ambitious endeavor and these are already looking good! I tend to build in pairs, although I've occasionally built 3 or 4 WWII types in parallel. I agree with smperry, it does seem more efficient. Sometimes I almost dread the more tedious tasks like pin washing panel lines on three or four models; I usually end up feeling like Jack Nicholson sitting at a typewriter. I once built an H-75, a Fiat G.50, and a Bf 109G-2 that were all in the same Finnish livery and by the time I was 2/3rd finished with all of the masking I was about ready to just dip the last one into a bucket or black paint and call it recognition model. Discipline and patience, I suppose.

This will be a fun project to watch, RAGIII, and I'll be paying close attention to learn all I can from your build.

Thanks for commenting, greatly appreciated!. I have been known to do a Multi build from time to time  ::) Yes they can become trying.
 RAGIII

Haha, Rick that is a great thread! I see what you mean, 4 bags of trash on top of that would have looked spectacular. I must add one of mine too although I'm not feeling quite so bad about it now. ;)

Looking forward to seeing your bench Richie!
RAGIII

PS: I found the original Thread. Sadly Photo Bucket screwed it up! You can still make out My work Bench in it's usual state  ;D

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=4133.0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:30:13 AM by RAGIII »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2020, 03:32:06 AM »
The bench pics are up, I knocked a bottle of lacquer thinner over and splashed it over my tripe's cabanes in the process, whoops! :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2020, 03:53:33 AM »
The bench pics are up, I knocked a bottle of lacquer thinner over and splashed it over my tripe's cabanes in the process, whoops! :)

I  Did that Very thing yesterday, other than the tripe struts. I was lucky to contain the spill before it spread! You need to stop following My Lead  ??? ::)
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2020, 04:06:10 AM »
LOL, I won't be rushing to build 3 Spads at once....2 Roden SE5a might be on the cards though. ;)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 10:59:58 AM »
I have started to do a bit of construction and further painting on the first airframe. I have painted some appropriate areas Horizon blue and added the fuel(Oil) line from the tank going forward.
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2020, 02:46:02 AM »
Some first class modelling going on here Rick....x 3!!!

Stephen

Offline RichieW

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2020, 03:32:16 AM »
Looking good already Rick.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2020, 03:32:58 AM »
Some first class modelling going on here Rick....x 3!!!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. After checking pictures again on the Memorial Flight SPAD XIII I have made some changes already  ::) Version 2 of the bag is more rectangular than square and I had the piping wrong. I also have given the blue a second coat!
RAGIII

Looking good already Rick.

Thanks Richie!
RAGIII