Author Topic: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke  (Read 87585 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 12:26:41 AM »
Quite an ambitious project, Rick.  I'll be following along.

Online petrov27

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 12:30:14 AM »
wow yes this is ambitious - the rigging of those double wires and double bays scares me enough for only a single SPAD but good luck and will be following for sure!
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 05:22:16 AM »
Rick,
    A Triple Play??!! ......  and as pointed out by Petrov27 already the rigging ain't "no small walk in the park"! I'm just curious, where do you display all these beauties? You must have a "subscription" to a display case manufacturers line :o!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Vickers

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »
You need to fix errors on that? It looks fantastic!

Thanks Richie but Yes, Lots of errors! The wing camo is wrong, the rigging doesn't represent the double wood filled wires, and the triangle on the upper fuselage should be red, white and blue!
RAGIII

I used to fret over errors on models mostly based on things I didn't know at the time. Sounds to me like all you really need to do is a bit of masking to convert the upper deck marking to tricolor. For my own purposes, unless I'm gonna lay awake about it at night, life is too short to partially disassemble and refinish models and moving on to the next build is a perfectly acceptable option. For what it's worth, I dig your Nungesser SPAD. It looks marvelous!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 12:09:26 PM »
 Rick, 
     It is very nice and I had the same thought as Vickers, convert that white chevron to a tricolor and it's a wrap! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 11:39:18 PM »
Other then the errors rick , you did do a fantastic job on this one  :) Still three on the go .... just remember that the decals don't go all on one plane ! ;)

Terri

Thanks Terri. Hopefully I will keep those Decals sorted out  ::)
RAGIII

Three new planes on the making; well, you don’t loose time, Rick! I am keen on seeing your progress on these as I have one in the stash but couldn’t feel the motivation to think about starting it yet.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. I think Richards and Mike Norriss' builds will be My inspiration so you have several to choose from  8)
 RAGIII

Quite an ambitious project, Rick.  I'll be following along.

I figure this will keep Me busy until the CSM Nieuports come out !
RAGIII

wow yes this is ambitious - the rigging of those double wires and double bays scares me enough for only a single SPAD but good luck and will be following for sure!

I have a "Cunning" plan for the rigging  ;D
RAGIII

Rick,
    A Triple Play??!! ......  and as pointed out by Petrov27 already the rigging ain't "no small walk in the park"! I'm just curious, where do you display all these beauties? You must have a "subscription" to a display case manufacturers line :o!!
Cheers,
Lance

I have room for about 12 more 1/32nd WW1 fighters in MY 2 cases. After that things will get rough  :(
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 11:42:22 PM »
You need to fix errors on that? It looks fantastic!

Thanks Richie but Yes, Lots of errors! The wing camo is wrong, the rigging doesn't represent the double wood filled wires, and the triangle on the upper fuselage should be red, white and blue!
RAGIII

I used to fret over errors on models mostly based on things I didn't know at the time. Sounds to me like all you really need to do is a bit of masking to convert the upper deck marking to tricolor. For my own purposes, unless I'm gonna lay awake about it at night, life is too short to partially disassemble and refinish models and moving on to the next build is a perfectly acceptable option. For what it's worth, I dig your Nungesser SPAD. It looks marvelous!

Not so much worried about the inaccuracies as looking at an opportunity to at least correct some of them  8)
RAGIII

Rick, 
     It is very nice and I had the same thought as Vickers, convert that white chevron to a tricolor and it's a wrap! :)
Cheers,
Lance

It May end up the way you and Vickers suggest or I might try adding another color to the upper wing at least? Time will tell!
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »
I have started the basic interior work on all three SPADS. I am only showing one that I have advanced a bit further on than the other two. Basic Linen and wood done and added the canvas bag to the right side. Still Much to do!
RAGIII

PS: Looking at My build that was completed years ago you really won't see much if any of that bag  8)

PPS: I based the size of the bag on the box included in the Roden SPAD VII. Seems to work!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:34:08 AM by RAGIII »

Offline smperry

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »
Starting to look Spadly Rick. I like your interpretation of the bag. I have no idea what they would have carried in it.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
Starting to look Spadly Rick. I like your interpretation of the bag. I have no idea what they would have carried in it.
sp

Thanks SP. I have No Idea either  8) I used a box made of sheet styrene then covered it with dried out lens wipe papers. Painted it a light beige color...Bone White from Valejo.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 11:49:00 PM »
Nice wood tones Rick  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 11:52:47 PM »
Nice wood tones Rick  :)

Terri

Thanks Terri! Two More to do today!
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 07:14:33 AM »
Great start Rick!

I have no idea what they would have carried in it.
Could that be for bullet sleeves?
The german aircrafts collects them already in early types (looks like the need more brass and copper). On my actual build Sopwith Dolphins the sleeves are dropped, but some hit the radiators on the side and caused problems. So some Dolphins got tubes for the sleeves on the cockpit sides. A bag would catch them there?
Only a idea ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 07:18:47 AM »
Thanks for the idea about the lens wipes Rick - another one to put away for possible future use. Good strt  too - but I still do not quite understand why you have to build three simultaneously!

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2020, 07:35:14 AM »
Great start Rick!

I have no idea what they would have carried in it.
Could that be for bullet sleeves?
The german aircrafts collects them already in early types (looks like the need more brass and copper). On my actual build Sopwith Dolphins the sleeves are dropped, but some hit the radiators on the side and caused problems. So some Dolphins got tubes for the sleeves on the cockpit sides. A bag would catch them there?
Only a idea ...

Cheers,
Frank

Good thought but no, the belts were collected in a box up front on later SPAD VII's and XIII's. The shell casings were indeed ejected. I think it was just for carrying items, perhaps luggage or personal gear when moving to a new location. First Aid Maybe? They were large!
RAGIII