Author Topic: Sopwith Pup N. 6205 „Betty“ RNAS 1:32 WNW  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Borsos

Sopwith Pup N. 6205 „Betty“ RNAS 1:32 WNW
« on: March 28, 2020, 09:34:25 AM »
Dear all,

I think there are not many words needed. Everybody knows this kit. It’s the old RNAS boxing. I am using some HGW seat belts and PE with it.

I prepaired all the maior parts for the cockpit and painted them. This time I used PE stencils from RB-production for the woodgrain and I am quite happy with it.

It’s a really tiny airplane with a tiny cockpit. The seat is so small that I would have taken it for 1:48 scale if somebody would have shown it to me without context. I used some Uschi van der Rosten Leather decals here over a black and white preshading.

I added some 0.2 lead wire around the control lever handle. I wouldn’t do that again, but it looks not bad enough for me to scratchbuild a replacement. I‘ll live with it.

I rigged these parts before I painted them. I‘ll do this again. No damage on the paint job while handling the parts and the drill bits.... the black on the metal fairings is still missing. I am still not sure if I use the HGW PE parts or If I only paint the kit parts.

Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Sopwith Pup N. 6205 „Betty“ RNAS 1:32 WNW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 10:26:20 AM »
As always your start to this build is amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
Dame , your off to a wonderful start on this  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:14 AM »
Inspiring work, Andreas. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 04:14:22 AM »
That is a super start Andreas. Lovely finish to the wood a seat.

The Pup was a small aeroplane, even by the standards of the day. According to C. Lewis and others it was also a delight to fly.

Stephen.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 04:35:11 AM »
Looks fantastic Andreas, looking forward to your future updates.

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 06:46:53 AM »
Great start, Andreas! And every onecollection needs a Pup :D

Have fun with this project,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 07:33:12 AM »
Looks like a great start, Andreas.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »
Fantastic, got one of these in the stash so will follow this build very keenly.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
Thank you very much Rick, Terri, Gary, Stepjen, Juan, Frank, Kensar and Richi for your kind words and your interest.
Frank, how true, it was time to add a Pup to the collection!
Richie, I think you won’t regret purchasing one. It’s a great little kit. Nonfitting issues yet and quite a great amount of details.

Meanwhile I finished the interior. I glued the whole affair into the starboard fuselage half for being able to sort out all the many rigging wires. Because the tiny plastic parts can’t stand the tension that would be needed if I rigged with fishing line, I used Uschi van der Rostens flexible line. I rather work with fishing line, but well, they’re in now. I didn’t paint them but left them black, otherwise they wouldn’t be visible so easily once the fuselage is closed. Because there is no firewall covering the back of the fuselage and the seat sits quite low, I added a cross bracing (couldn’t verify it by pictures of the original, but makes sense for me) and covered up the fuselage seam by gluing a piece of colored paper over it. Once more I used the wonderful looking HGW seatbelts. I really like that stuff.

Best regards
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
Very inspiring Andreas, great idea to cover the centre seam with paper. I will be stealing that one! Going to start either the Pup or the Triplane today, this thread is tipping the balance towards the Pup.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »
Lovely progress. I am looking with a great interest, as, believe it or not, I have just started working on WNW Pup, too. Though I have the Gnome boxing. I am also ready to rig the section behind the pilot seat, including the bottom face. But I will rig after painting, except that I have already drilled the holes for eyelets and installed them. The turnbuckles will be attached to the predrilled holes after painting, though. Nice to see the idea with the linen-imitating paper at the bottom to cover the seam. I will repeat it here, too. :-)
Keep up with great work!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »
Thanks Richie and Przemo.
Richie,  I also was thinking what to start — the Pup or the Triplane  :)

That’s how things are right now. Some seams are still to clean up, especially on the underside. Like usual the fit is very tight on these WNW kits and although I tried to remove all the paint, some small gaps appeared. Obviously I wasn’t careful emough.

A view into the back of the fuselage. Again, I must admit, how much I hate working with flexible thread. But given the fact that the upper wing will hide most of the view into the back of the fuselage, I am fine with it.

Best regards
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 07:35:06 PM »
Inspiring work, Andreas.

I need all the inspiration I can get and you may of just kindled the spark. Cheers!

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 10:53:00 PM »
Beautifully painted and detailed interior Andreas! You are really moving along on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler