Author Topic: Sopwith Pup N. 6205 „Betty“ RNAS 1:32 WNW  (Read 5759 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Sopwith Pup N. 6205 „Betty“ RNAS 1:32 WNW
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 11:16:51 PM »
Sorting out all those control wires was one of the hardest parts to my Pup build.  Looks like you've done a great job there.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 04:12:11 AM »
Rapid but precise progress, those wood grain masks have worked a treat. This is going to be very special!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 08:55:00 AM »
My goodness Andreas, you are working quickly! However you work is incredibly accurate - and why worry about a slightly slack wire in the depths of the fuselage that a blind man would be happy to see?!

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:09 AM »
Bob, Rick, Ken, Richie and Stephen, Thank you very much for your positive comments!

One thing I dislike with this otherwise very fine kit are the wheels. The wheel hubs are too thick in my opinion and the tyres don‘t look like tyres because there‘s too less space between hub and tyre. I can’t explain it better.
I reworked my wheels by turning them in my dremel tool. Here you still see some imperfections that needed some more filling and sanding. Besides of that I rebuild axle and splint with brassrod.

Here I am now. I used Mr Hobby‘s „hemp“ for the tyres, the darkest color I ever used for WWI tyres. I love light colored tyres.

The wheel hubs received a pre-lighening with some light colored pencil strokes

Normally I would have spend some more time in the paint shop tonight. Atleast the struts I had wanted to give their first coat of paint today. But I lost my PE wood stencil and have no idea where I put that thing after the last usage. After spending some frustrating time looking all arount my mancave, I tried to order another one from RB production, just to see that it’s shut due the Covid-19 pandemia. Meanwhile I found a Polish mailorder that in fact still has one left and isn’t out of business these days. Lucky me, but now things get slower. At least I am not ‚banned from the Pup‘, like Peter and his Test Tube Babies once sung...

Regards,
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 07:23:49 AM »
Terrific work on the wheels Andreas! Your Cowling, engine and MG are also looking Superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 07:41:41 AM »
Like the light pencil effect on the wheels, will definitely be giving that a try too. I'm always losing things in my man cave too. I spend more time searching than modelling. Surprised you suffer the same affliction, your precise modelling suggests a very orderly way of doing things! :)

Offline FAf

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »
One thing I dislike with this otherwise very fine kit are the wheels. The wheel hubs are too thick in my opinion and the tyres don‘t look like tyres because there‘s too less space between hub and tyre. I can’t explain it better.[...] Besides of that I rebuild axle and splint with brassrod.

Excellent improvement and just at the right time for me to 'steal' the idea! 😎 If I dare... It looks very petit that hub detail.
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 06:07:30 AM »
Andreas, you made a damn good progress in you home office!
The wheels looks now a bit like the new Gaspatch spoke wheels, but only one spoke visible ;D

One question: No copper on the intake pipes?
This 80hp Le Rhone I have only seen with copper pipes (a search fine also some black painted one in museum).
On the 110hp 9J, where the pipes goes from head to the back, used copper or steel pipes, especially the Oberursel copy, because they were short on copper.
I'm interested if you have another info ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Borsos

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
Thanks a lot Rick, Richie,  Fredrik and Frank!

Frank, no secret information, just an unfinished engine. The copper color follows asap :-)
I need to buy a new copper color: I only have an old Revell enamel jar of copper „No 93“, it’s sticky and always when I open it, I remember why I switched to acrylics...
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
Ah, thank you!
In my smaller scale I'm forced to paint all those parts prior mounting, so I could not expect, that this is possible afterwards ;D

Copper was one of my first Alclad colors (many years ago), but it was unusable recently. The copper particles were oxidized or something similar.
The new bottle is great again.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 10:06:21 PM »
Nice work, Andreas.  I like the axle detail.  I don't know if you were planning to use the tire lettering decals, but I found they do not exactly match the raised lettering molded in the tire.  You may want to sand off the molded letters and apply the decals.

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 01:58:11 AM »
Excellent work on the details, Andreas! As usual that´s becoming another gem from your bench. As Frank said Alclad copper would be a good choice.

Jörg

Offline Borsos

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 09:14:23 AM »
Thanks a lot Frank, Ken and Jörg! Alclad is also my brand of choice when it comes to metal colors.

I went on painting the plane. I tried out some shading techinques, but I wanted to keep them subtle over all...

I‘ve seen now the red overspray just after taking pictures. The wheels are alreday weathered with Watercolor pencils. First time that I tried these out, cool stuff.

Wood is Uschi van der Rosten decals, it still needs some Oils....
But all in all I love the chocolate color of the PC-12. It‘s Eastern!

The Prop is real wood, I used some veneer from my stash.
In the end I couldn‘t resist trying out something new. The most annoying part of it was thinning down the cowling from the inside. Otherwise the Rotary wouldn’t be able to rotate freely.

When nobody watches I sit next to it and make „Brrrrrrr“ ....
Best regards

Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 10:17:17 AM »
MOTORIZED !   Now that is cool !

Where did you hide the on/off switch ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »
Andreas
If I'm not told to shush at least once per build, I figure I'm not having any fun.

Beautiful work on the spinning rotary! I really like the colors you got, especially as the shading works just right.

I am fascinated with your wheel axles. How you were able to drill a hole across a tiny tube. How was the tube secured? The effect looks great.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.