Author Topic: WNW Camel Firstever build log  (Read 7821 times)

Offline RichieW

WNW Camel Firstever build log
« on: February 22, 2020, 11:58:22 PM »
Hi everybody, having recently joined this is my first attempt at a build log. This is only my second WW1 aircraft the first being a WNW Eindekker.

I got the internals together without any real alarms but got frustrated by my shaky hands and poor eyesight whilst trying to add the control lines. I took the easy way out and left them.

https://flic.kr/p/2itZgpT

I was hoping to add a Kellerkind pilot figure but after a fun few hours spent painting him he was never going to fit so I'll save him for another day when I can face carrying out the necessary surgery.

https://flic.kr/p/2itZbfz

I hope the pictures are visible.

I'm not a very good modeller so this might be of interest to other less gifted folk who want to have a go at this kit. Hopefully I can get a few hints and tips from the superb modellers on this site.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: WNW Camel Firstever build log
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 12:01:58 AM »
I would say you are doing an excellent job!
You may be new to WW1, but you aren't new to modelling.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 12:04:03 AM »
Welcome to the world of build Logs! Your Modeling looks Just fine to Me. Too bad about the figure not fitting. I had the same thing with My Camel build with a different pilot. Looking great so keep posting! As for the photos it has been a while since I used Flicr. There is another option you can use so the photos show and not the link. I don't remember which one but I am sure someone else will  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:58:26 AM »
Impressive start, Richie

I hope the pictures are visible.

I don't have a Flickr account ... so went through an awkward process ("Inspect" the Flickr pictures in Chrome to get the URLs, and then insert those into this post). An easier way is to click on the "Share photo" arrow on the lower right of the Flickr photo page, then click "BBCode", and copy/paste that into your post. But there's got to be an easier way, I would think.  :-[

Gene K

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:17:16 AM by Gene K »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 02:08:22 AM »
Thanks so much for that Gene. Will try posting like next update. I've joined the fuselage today but my tail skid fell out. Reckon it won't be too difficult to remedy. Got a bit of Mr. dissolved putty on, very little required, these are such impressive kits!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 03:02:02 AM »

"I'm not a very good modeller so this might be of interest to other less gifted folk who want to have a go at this kit"

There's a huge contradiction in your statement here Richie! It certainly doesn't apply to the photos of your cockpit! Comments to the effect that we as a group are our own worst critics are often made here and it's so true. Very nice work, and I look forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 03:44:35 AM »
LOL, thanks Lance, that is very kind of you. I am however very clumsy and accident prone, in the process of getting the cockpit together I managed to spill an entire pot of contact adhesive with the result that I, my cutting matt and several pots of paint were stuck to the bench for rather a long time!😂

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »
    Spilling?! That's why I never buy just one of any liquid modelling supplies, two or more is prudent in my case! :-[ ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 10:04:14 AM »
All accidents aside, looks great.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »
Wow! Very impressive work there Richie!

Don't be too critical of your work, it looks really good to me. All the more impressive with eyesight and hand issues.

I really relate to your situation. I've had cataract surgery to fix the eyes but I have diabetic nerve damage to my hands which has seriously impacted on my detail work. I have a Wingnuts Camel and Pfalz D.XII both sitting abandoned on a shelf due to horrible modelling disasters related to these conditions.

The solution is to push on with another project and not be deterred by pieces of plastic. Your Camel looks really great and having been there with this kit I'm all the more impressed with your progress. Great figure painting too!

Please keep us updated with your build log. And don't worry about those internal control lines. Once the fuselage is closed up and the top wing on you can barely see any detail in the cockpit anyway. The side bracing wires are much more  visible and look great.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
Thanks so much Dave, yes it's more about enjoying the process and if the end result isn't great I can always the Shuttleworth collection to see the real thing.

I got a headband with magnifying lenses and lights yesterday. It was great to be able to see what I'm trying to do. I found that by bracing my wrists against the bench I could reduce the hand shakes. Your problems sound very severe but it's a big win for you to be soldiering on.

Juan, many thanks for the encouragement. I got the engine done yesterday so hope to get an update up later. In the meantime I have to try to get the tail skid back in fuselage and get a bit of sanding done on the fuselage seams.

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 09:21:35 PM »
Looks good to me, one thing to remember tough is make sure to scrape the paint of the surface where glue is applied. The first WNW kits have very tight tolerances making the parts not fit if there is paint on them, also making the glue not stick properly.
So before you glue this in place in the fuselage make sure to sand the sides clear of paint.

Ron

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 09:37:35 PM »
Thanks Ron, that would explain why it was such a wrestling match to get the fuselage together! Will remember this for the next one, got the WNW triplane lined up.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
I could easily be reading your 10th build log  :o
Lovely work!

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 11:47:02 PM »
Wow, Richie! Impressive work and looking good! A really amazing lesson to some of us that have modelled for years - and still can't do it this good! Looking forward to more.... Regards, Marc.