Author Topic: WNW Camel Firstever build log  (Read 7822 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: WNW Camel Firstever build log
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 08:24:50 AM »
Thanks Bob, yes it's all part of the fun. Wondering what to build next. Would really like an easier project. I have the Sopwith Tripe, Pup and a CSM Nieuport in the stash but I'm sure they all have their own idiosyncrasies.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »
I like the PC 10 color. Looks great. I had the samer experience with the Extra Color PC 10. All imperfections showed. That is why I had to sand, polish and re paint the fuselage  8) Looking forward to your next update Richie!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 05:23:47 AM »
Thanks Rick, there's a bit more sanding and painting to do after today's little escapade. I shook up the PC10 paint to mix it and the lid wasn't on properly. Arghhhh!!!!!! Going to leave it for a few days now. Apart from anything else my system needs a rest from the strong odours of the MRP solvent. Still smiling though! :)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2020, 06:26:17 AM »
Just found this Richie, sorry to be late to the party.

I am a scratch builder and do not build kits but I am extremely impressed by your work. You referred to less able modellers in your introduction but I do not think that you are among them! I too suffer a little from shaky hands and eyesight which I would like to be better, but there are ways of getting around these problems: I use an eye loupe (magnifier which I can clip to my glasses), and ia rest my hands on my desk when I am suffering from handshake.

The photos of your models show that you work at the highest standard - as good as many on this site and better than many models that I have seen at club exhibitions. You have nothing to be ashamed of, believe me. As Lance has commented, we are our own worst critics (guess how I know).

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »
Thank you so much for your kind words Stephen, I really appreciate the encouragement! I've invested a bit of cash recently in a modelling vice, an LED desk lamp and a magnifying visor which have all been so helpful. Been bracing my forearms against the bench to try to keep the hands steady too. I think these measures have given me a new lease of life. I will always be clumsy and accident prone, a better organised work bench might be help me there!

Yes, I agree with Lance's comment. We are all our own worst critics. Maybe that's why we keep at it to make the next build a little better.

I have actually shelved more kits than I've finished in the last few years. Funny thing is when I come to look at them again I can't see why I was so disappointed in my efforts in the first place.

Would love to have a go at scratch building something. I saw an original airworthy Bleriot last week. It really made me wonder if I could make one from scratch. Must check some of your build logs to see what techniques are involved.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2020, 11:13:09 AM »
You folks bring a lot of joy into my life  :) :) :) Nice progress with the wings Richie . I haven't use the brand of paints you mentioned , but Tamiya's new lacquer line is the same . Very thin and shows everything !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 02:36:10 AM »
Richie,

I scratch built a Bleriot Penguin (trainer) in 1/72 scale some years ago. The build thread is here if you are interested:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2972.msg49697#msg49697

I have also built a 1/32 scale Vickers Gunbus which may have some more suitable information. It is here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9631.msg178738#msg178738

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 03:17:25 AM »
Thanks Stephen, that's great. I have bookmarked them for a thorough read later. Much appreciated!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 04:41:51 AM »
Have done a lot more sanding and polishing with micromesh cloths and got the fuselage painted. far from perfect but I'm a lot happier with it. Got a bit of retouching to do, hopefully that and a bit of weathering followed by a satin clear coat will help. I managed to break off one of the latches that clip onto the cowling, I will see if I can fashion something out of sprue to replace it.

The 'metal' parts of the frame were painted with flat aluminium and varnished before a very thin coat of Tamiya rubber black was added. The intention is to add a few scratches with a cocktail stick later.

20200310_181756 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I couldn't resist seeing what it might look like as a biplane. I quite like it! :)

The 3 top wing pieces are not glued together yet and the lower wing is just dry fitted. I'm going to leave this alone for a few days now, I don't know enough about how MRP paints harden to risk any more blunders or finger prints.

20200310_181406 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Thanks for reading, as ever all comments, criticisms and advice are very welcome.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 04:49:23 AM »
Your Camel is really looking awesome Richie! I forgot to mention the minor point of breaking off one of those cowl latches in My build log. So I am right there with you on fabricating a New One!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 05:10:18 AM »
LOL, they certainly are very delicate Rick. I'm stunned that I still have the right number of cabana struts but there's plenty of time to join the club. ;)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 05:13:03 AM »
LOL, they certainly are very delicate Rick. I'm stunned that I still have the right number of cabana struts but there's plenty of time to join the club. ;)

Yep, Congrats are in order on the number of Cabanes remaining! I came close yesterday to making it 2 down  ::)
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2020, 06:25:12 AM »
Got a few decals on the fuselage, it's looking a lot more cheerful now. I still have 4 cabanes but one needed reinforcing with a little CA, I so nearly joined the club! I decided to do Raymond Collishaw's 'Black Maria' thinking I could get decals for the WNW triplane to model Dixie II which I recently met at the Shuttleworth collection. I'll have to rethink that one!

20200313_195102 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I'm not quite ready to put the wing roundels on yet, I added some castor oil staining to the wings with the airbrush. I so wish I'd used oils instead but I can live with this I think. I also painted the contents of the inspection ports. and the wooden cutaway in the top wing, this will get a spray of clear yellow when dry.

20200313_195240 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

But just when I was starting to feel it was all going well I had a look at what I'd done underneath the fuselage yesterday and found this....

AAARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

20200313_201133 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

That's a pretty good thumb print even by my standards. I'm not sure quite how I managed to do it but I see a bit of careful masking and painting in my near future.  :)

Thanks for reading.
Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 06:43:43 AM »
Excellent progress Richie! I think you managed a better fit on the upper deck than I did. Looking great with the Markings going on. As for that fingerprint... Stuff Happens. A bit of sanding and touch up will take care of the issue!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
Thanks Rick, keep leading the way. Looks like I timed joining the forum to perfection!

Yes the thumb print is just a minor disappointment, a little bit more sanding and repainting is fine. I'm enjoying the build so much I don't want it to end so it's a good thing! :)