Author Topic: WNW Camel Firstever build log  (Read 7823 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: WNW Camel Firstever build log
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 06:32:40 AM »
Thank you Marc, I really appreciate the generous encouragement. I didn't have a great day with it today. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

My signature glue thumb print appeared whilst trying to get the tail skid back in.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 08:28:33 AM »
Richie,   
Don't be discouraged by the tailskid mishap, I've built two of these and done the same to both. (along with snapping off several cabane struts as well!) I usually try to modify the skid so that it can be added towards the end of a Build as early installation is tempting fate, at least in my case. Although I found this Kit to be a really well thought out and engineered one it is not the easiest Build in the WNW line in my opinion. It's all about learning the pitfalls through experience, and enjoying the experience as well. It's coming along very nicely!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »
Richie

If you are having issues trying to hold a model steady during painting/ rigging etc, I recommend getting a desktop vice of the sort illustrated here.

Mine is an essential aide now. It has a suction base, can be set at any angle imaginable and has rubber grips so as not to harm the model. It means I have a steady holder for the model so I can focus on the detail work.

This one came from the Aldi supermarket chain in Australia which has special deals on all manner of other items such as home handyman supplies. In America I'd imagine WalMart would have something similar.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »
Now that is some impressive work Richie  :)

Like the others , don't be to hard on yourself . You are doing fine and go at your pace . I would say that the majority of us have mishaps with every build . I know I do and some builds quite the few of them before it's finished .Kept at the excellent work and I look forward to the next up-date  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 11:30:55 PM »
I will chime in with the others. I have 25 WW1  1/32nd scale models in My display cases and not a single one was finished without having to overcome a self generated mistake  :( Some I had to step away from before returning to finish them. I think the vise that Dave showed might help your situation, or one of the jigs available. Just have Fun!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 03:53:10 AM »
Thanks chaps you really are the best. Your kind words are very encouraging! Despite the mishaps my morale remains high, I'm thrilled to be working on such a beautifully engineered kit. It's all a very far cry from the flash infested kits we all built as kids.

Terri, thanks that vice looks just the thing. Will have a shop around for something similar. The model you are working on (Bristol Scout?)
looks beautiful too!

I had the afternoon to myself and made a start on removing the evidence of my tail skid/glue adventure. I then donned my magnifying visor and set about adding ignition leads to the engine. I'm really pleased to have done this, it won't be very visible but it's good practice for the main rigging event much later.

I also sanded and micromeshed the fuselage join, little bit of Mr Surfacer to go on and I think I'm there. Oh yes, you may have noticed that I managed to knock the pads off the machine guns. definitely not going to worry about that as they wouldn't really be seen anyway. :)

20200224_163820 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20200224_163920 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20200224_164036 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20200224_163940 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Fair bit of touching up to do, I seem to have rubbed off the paint on the engine's pusher rods by over buffing them to get them shiny. Easily remedied.

Many thanks for looking in. As ever any tips, hints or criticisms are greatly appreciated. I so keen to learn!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 04:17:52 AM »
oops, forgot to add the propeller pic. I used Vallejo model colour paints for the wood, I've grown to love these. Nice and easy to use and brush cleaning is a doddle! :)

20200224_164130 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 05:15:06 AM »
Nicely done work on the plug wires. Also your tail skid fix seems to have worked well. My fingers are crossed that I don't run into the same issue and or break a cabane strut Like Lance  ::) The prop looks great as does the interior mounted in the fuselage!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 08:59:14 AM »
Glad you figured out Flickr photo linking so we can better enjoy your beautiful build.

Gene K

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »
Thanks Rag, I'm starting to have a lot more fun now I've got a few clumsy blunders out of the way and found that the world didn't end!

Hi Gene, thanks for telling me how to post the pictures. I followed your suggestion to the letter and hey presto, pictures! Will get the SLR out at some point and see if I can get some better quality shots done.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
Your progress is moving right along , and very nicely too boot !

Well I'm not sure what you mean thank -you about the vice , Dave posted the pic from his very own work bench . But I don't mind being Dave for a few moments and say ...you are very welcome  ;)

I don't have a Bristol scout on the bench , but again I guess I  will have to get one going sooner or later . At the moment I have a Hansa Brandenburg D.1 on the bench and I just finished a ME 410 in the off topic build section and just started another Mustang .

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and having a ball , that's what it really is about in the end .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
Hi Richie

That model in the grip of the desktop vice is a Special Hobby 1/32 scale Bristol M.1c monoplane. A very nice kit with good detail.

It's not Wingnuts level but nor is it Wingnuts price!

Here it is completed ( brush painted) and posted here to encourage you that hand/ eye health issues can be coped with to produce a fun project like your Camel. I've bought another of the Special Hobby Bristols as I enjoyed this build so much.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RichieW

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 11:47:56 PM »
Sorry Dave and Terri, confusion has always been a feature of my life! Thanks for your kind comments though!

Dave a package just arrived with a desk vice in it, ig it can help me complete a build to the standard of that beautiful Bristol I will be well pleased. That kit might well be a good choice for a WW1 novice.
Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 07:06:13 AM »
Not much to report, been suffering the usual mishaps and flu bugs but managed to get some paint on the wings.

The lower surfaces were painted with my usual Mr Hobby acrylics. I had a severe attack of dust so had to strip the first attempt and repaint.

Upper surfaces are MRP early PC10. This is my first experience of this paint. I found it to be so thin with such fine pigments that the tiniest little imperfections show up quite badly. Drying time is very fast though.

2020-03-08_08-44-40 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Sadly the imperfections on the fuselage were not so tiny which is why it has been sanded, refilled and primed. Hopefully it will be good enough for another bit of painting tomorrow.

2020-03-08_08-42-27 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Still enjoying the kit despite the blunders, it's all part of the learning process. I'm learning quite a lot! :)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 08:11:03 AM »
Keep up the great work!
And don't worry about making 'blunders' we all do! That's how we progress.

Cheers,
Von Blunder Bus

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith