Author Topic: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 10.10.2020 Rigging  (Read 15209 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 29.8.2020 Wings
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2020, 09:14:16 PM »
Excellent progress Frank. The transparency with light shining through is cool!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 02:24:04 AM »
Frank,

with all of that work I do not understand why you do not simply join the scratch builders and ditch the kits! Wonderful scratch building of the wings and a super translucent effect.

Stephen.

Offline FAf

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2020, 07:25:00 AM »
Great looking work, Frank! Stunning actually!
/Fredrik

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2020, 02:58:05 PM »
Excellent idea on adding depth to the ribs . Will you be varishing( doping ) the wings ? ( like what they do with balsa kits )

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2020, 09:01:02 PM »
Thank you Rick, Stephen, Fredrik and Terri!

with all of that work I do not understand why you do not simply join the scratch builders and ditch the kits!
Even with modifications a kit still saves time, so I can build more models 8)

Will you be varishing( doping ) the wings ? ( like what they do with balsa kits )
Yes. Already done on the wings ;)
During build of my linked Demoiselle I detected, that my wood primer (nitro based) works the same way as the dopes (stiffening varnish) as this is also nitro based.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline smperry

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2020, 10:02:03 PM »
Frank
I have been covering wing frames with paper for 60 years now and that is one very nice covering job. All the edges and rounded corners are perfect. Did the covering come in the kit?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Bughunter

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2020, 10:15:41 PM »
Thanks!
With my third try I have done the lower surface first. Then cut with scissors around and fixed the small remains with thinned wood glue. Then the same for the top.
There is more then enough paper in the kit, see second picture on first page.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline smperry

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2020, 10:42:31 PM »
Frank
On everything from Peanut scale to 1/4 scale RC you always cover the bottom surface first. Now you know why.  Your trimming and sealing the edges is most impressive, it is so easy to miss a tiny bit sticking up and waving at everybody. You are well on the way to another masterpiece.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2020, 01:22:10 AM »
Great results with the wing covering, Frank.  Dope would shrink the covering tight on the frame which would help keep the upper and lower coverings apart.   I have also sanded off the excess covering material (instead of trying to cut it off) around the outside edges on some flying models I have built.
I think painting the fuse would be the best way to go here.  The natural wood grain is huge!

Bughunter

Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 30.8.2020 Landing gear
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2020, 03:07:51 AM »
Landing gear

I soldered the Landing gear parts together. Since the PE looks a bit flat to me I thickened them with solder. This brings the parts also into a shape away from the flat appearance.

As mentioned in my previous posting the wings are painted with clear nitro based wood primer. The upper struts get also solder and are soldered to the wing spars.

All parts plugged together:

The kit wheels are not that bad. But see up right there is a recess, and I have big spare plastic wheels, so I will use them.

The kit has a nice piano wire axle, here with the wheels.

I think painting the fuse would be the best way to go here.  The natural wood grain is huge!
Ken, this is exactly what I have done!

I have different pictures of that machine in Paris. It looks different depending on light and camera. Here are two Wikipedia pictures.

So I painted it with Gunze H85, also the wings.

Even with the additional paint the shadow effect is still there.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Gorgeous work, Frank!  I'm really glad you're back on this one.  She's going to be a real beauty.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Bughunter

Thank you Bud! Good to see you here :)

She's going to be a real beauty.
May be, but it will hard to beat my recently finished Triplane. This is still "my model of the year" 8)

As next step I will do the tail.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

Excellent progress Frank. You could still scratch build and complete and model in a fraction of the time that it takes me..!!

Stephen.

Offline Old Man

That is some serious modelling, Sir!

Wonderful work.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 30.8.2020 Landing gear
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2020, 02:28:04 AM »
Gorgeous work, Frank!  I'm really glad you're back on this one.  She's going to be a real beauty.
Cheers,
Bud

I have to agree with My Amigo Frank! Odd looking aircraft but you are certainly building a "Beauty"
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler