Author Topic: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 10.10.2020 Rigging  (Read 15649 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 6.9.2020 Spinner
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2020, 01:17:41 AM »
Like OM I am out of superlatives to express a proper opinion Frank. I just wish that I had the tools, skill and patience to work with metal in the way you do - so instead I will sit and enjoy your demonstrations on how to do it properly.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2020, 04:46:24 AM »
Thank you Ken and Stephen for your kind words!

You may want to consider using the kit engine and save the good ones for other models.
I put the nice engine below the cowling to check the visibility. Especially the cylinder heads are shown. The kits engine is a block of white metal with nearly no ribs and the "rods" are molded on. It looks even bad inside, so I tend to use the nice one.
It another model needs the same double rotary, I can build a new one. There are still kits of that type in my stash 8)

From time to time I added wood pieces to the tail plane PE, painted the frame and now added the paper.
If this is dry completely I can add primer and paint.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2020, 04:59:31 AM »
Yep, I certainly have missed a lot. Will follow this one from here Frank. Always a pleasure to see your work.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2020, 06:58:04 PM »
Nice and inspiring, as usual, Frank! :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Bughunter

Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 10.9.2020 Tail
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2020, 05:21:26 AM »
Thank you, my friends!

Tail

With using the same technology of the wings I tried to do the tail surfaces.

At first I have soldered on the control horns provided by the kit followed by the wood. Here the wooden strips are smaller but more, so I did this rather annoying job bit by bit. Applied for test fitting:

The remaining brass is hidden by wood color paint. Here also the first surface paper piece is applied.

The covering is finished!

After primer and the usual sand colored paint I tried to add another detail.
Since a decal would not work on this matt surface (and I don't have a decal for this) I tried to draw very small masks in Inkscape and let the cutting plotter do its job.
At first I added a white layer, followed by a thin layer H34 Cream Yellow.

The masks are very small, see it on the globe of the Cent. After painting Blue (I applied to much, because it was green at first. I should have used the middle part of the mask to paint blue on white and not on yellow! ::)) I have now a fluttering flag.

May be I should try to paint a black frame and those lines around the blue on the flag with a small brush as on this Wikipedia picture?

And the bird with tail and wings:

Does anyone know what this flag means?
From the colors it reminds me of Brazil, but the pilot Maurice Prévost was French.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Radarman

Re: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 10.9.2020 Tail
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »
Frank,
You continue to amaze us with your work!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2020, 07:55:00 AM »
Excellent results on the tail marking with your mask! Looking Stunning overall!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »
I guess that is really up you on whether you want to add the black frame and if your in the mood to do sure work . I say why not , go for it Frank ! It will balance it out better and match the display aircraft at the mus . Some really nice work on the tail unit as well , in all coming along most excellent ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »
A possible option for the black outline is to use a fine marker and draw the outline.  Some very small tipped markers are available.  The only watchout I can think of would be if the ink bleeds on the porous surface of the covering.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »
I love it Frank, I have only seen paper covering on flying balsa models before. It looks superb!

The masking is excellent too, if anybody can paint the black frame it's you, go on you know you want to! :)

Offline FAf

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2020, 02:04:36 AM »
We all want to see you do the black line, but I'm not sure I would risk that if it was my model...

Very nice work overall!
/Fredrik

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:20 PM »
A possible option for the black outline is to use a fine marker and draw the outline.  Some very small tipped markers are available.  The only watchout I can think of would be if the ink bleeds on the porous surface of the covering.

Be very very careful with inks . They will bleed into the surrounding area ruining it . ( The brand Sharpie ...BAD ) . The pigmets in some inks if much more finer then what the paint is and same with clear coats bleeding into the area as well as into the plastic and does not come full out even after doing tons of sanding .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Old Man

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
Wonderful work, Sir.

This is an amazing model.

Bughunter

Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 12.9.2020 Cockpit
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2020, 05:54:06 AM »
Thank you my friends for your great support!

Cockpit

In all our plastic kits we have to build the cockpit at first, to be able to close the fuselage. This one is a bit different, the fuselage is painted, but the cockpit not yet done - this is now the next task.

Some parts was prepared at the very beginning, e.g. seat and fuel tank are soldered. Now I primed the parts.

To save time I painted then wood base and grain with acrylic paints followed by Clear Yellow and Clear Orange.
For the level gauge of the tank I used the etched part of the kit, but added stretched clear sprue.

A bigger amount of small PE parts are prepared:

Some parts are mounted into the frame.

But I indulged in a little luxury in the cockpit - a wooden steering wheel! The kit wheel was a flat PE part.

The cockpit is finished! On the left side the "Kristal Klear" on the amperemeter is not yet dry, and behind that I scratched a pulsometer and replaced the flat kit PE part.

The complete cockpit can be plugged into the fuselage and fits perfectly without rattling. The amperemeter (Eduard) is now visible.

Perfect flat on the front ...

... causes a new problem. My part of a ring on the engine wall was to thick and do not fit between tank and fuselage. But with the help of the mill this could be fixed easily.

The kit contain a piece of 0.1mm aluminum and a drawing in the manual for a maintenance cover. I would use the alu on the wooden fuselage variant, but for my painted over machine I used brass (later tinned).

Then I turned a fuel and an oil cap from 2mm brass rod.

But I dropped both on the floor and found only one. The parquet monster has eaten a cap! I have to turn a new one.

And now what you have all been waiting for!

A possible option for the black outline is to use a fine marker and draw the outline.  Some very small tipped markers are available.
Ken, that was a great idea! I had no one, only a dried up CD marker.
But I asked my wife, and she has some markers, the thinnest is 0.05mm. I tried it on the middle of the tailplane, which is hidden in the fuselage cut later, and it works!

So I added the lines on the tail. Not perfect, but acceptable.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

Re: Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48, Upd 12.9.2020 Cockpit
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2020, 06:09:24 AM »
Frank you have left me lost for words again! The tail marking is excellent and the tiny details in the cockpit and top of the aircraft are just amazing. That you lost only one filler cap is a minor miracle - I would have lost several!

Stephen.