Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:  (Read 41138 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2020, 11:05:25 PM »
Lauf out loud !

You guys are fantastic  8) I can actually picture Lance jumping around - arms waving in the air ...King of the struts !

Rick , I do have a few Camels in the stash . Two Eduard kits and WNW . After the HB is finished a camel is next , but I won't have it finished before you are done with your excellent build . The teardrop does posse a challenge . Can two small holes be drilled all the through in a X pattern ? Or cut just the front off , glue lines in place , glue the front back on ? Looking forward to seeing how you tackle this . :)

Terri

Thanks Terri. I have a plan but only time will tell if it works  ::) I also have alternate Plan B  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2020, 12:10:20 AM »
    I'm going to have to learn to be less candid regarding my "gaffs", I'm starting to get a bit of a complex! I will say though that breaking off 3 of 4 cabanes on the WNW Camel does add a certain challenge to the Build! As for the rigging of the little "acorn device between the front cabanes, piece of cake! Just be cautious of which way the little Bu***r is facing, there is a front and a back end don't you know ....... just ask me how I know that! ??? ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #227 on: March 22, 2020, 03:51:52 AM »
    I'm going to have to learn to be less candid regarding my "gaffs", I'm starting to get a bit of a complex! I will say though that breaking off 3 of 4 cabanes on the WNW Camel does add a certain challenge to the Build! As for the rigging of the little "acorn device between the front cabanes, piece of cake! Just be cautious of which way the little Bu***r is facing, there is a front and a back end don't you know ....... just ask me how I know that! ??? ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Too Late Now Lance  :D I decided to start My rigging process with that Acorn. Figured I would get the most Feared part out of the way first. As I was proceeding to run the wires through the first time I found out I had failed to think about the fact that I was rigging from the bottom. Sooo, IT was BACKWARDS. Pulled the lines out and fixed that. Now I am pausing before I run the lines through the upper wing. Not enough Beer in Me Yet to finish it off  8)
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #228 on: March 22, 2020, 03:56:30 AM »
Keep drinking Rick, I'm needing to see how to rig this troublesome acorn!😃

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2020, 04:51:22 AM »
Keep drinking Rick, I'm needing to see how to rig this troublesome acorn!😃

Only 3 beers in  8) I drilled holes all of the way through the upper wing and acorn. I also drilled holes Near the struts on the upper deck. First step was attaching the lines to the holes in the deck. Then I threaded the line through the acorn. As stated earlier the first try was Backwards! Once I was ready I threaded the lines through the holes in the upper wing. When satisfied with the position of the acorn I touched the lines at the acorn with superglue. Now all that is left is the final tightening! May be a bit off but close enough for Me  ;D
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #230 on: March 22, 2020, 04:57:13 AM »
Nice solution Rick. Well played sir!👏

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #231 on: March 22, 2020, 05:20:41 AM »
Nice solution Rick. Well played sir!👏

Still one step left before I call it a success!
RAGIII

PS: The holes in the acorn were drilled while attached to the sprue. Otherwise It would have pinged into oblivion!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:45:02 AM by RAGIII »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2020, 07:19:36 AM »
Rick,
    The hint to drill the "acorn" while still on the sprue is a good one which I used as well. I found that doing that portion of the rigging with Modelkasten was a lot more manageable then using mono, much easier to tighten and center the acorn with the stretchable thread. Great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2020, 08:31:03 AM »
I had a similar problem on my 1/32 Gunbus: there are two tiny rings on the top and bottom of the booms which are at the centre of cross bracing wires. I used elastic thread for those because as Lance has commented, it is easier to pull them taught and get the rings into the centre, and more importantly, the upper ring to be be directly above the lower one.

A modeller friend whi has also made this Camel told me that he too had used elastic thread so that it was easier to centre the dear little acorn.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »
Thanks Guys. That being said it is done. I hope to take better photos for future inclusion on the thread.
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »
Great job on the acorn. One of those on a much larger scale Camel drove me batty and didn't look nearly so good as yours. You got the hard part done now, the rest of the model should be gravy.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2020, 11:33:02 AM »
Excellent Rick ! 8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2020, 08:28:03 PM »
The boy done good!

::) ::) ::)

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RichieW

« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »
Perfect!!!! Better get the pin vice and start drilling.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
You have met the acorn challenge.
You have mastered the strut challenge.
You must weep, for there are no new worlds to conquer.
 ;D