Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:  (Read 41853 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2020, 06:32:04 AM »
No!!!! If you look at photos of the undersides of rotary engined aircraft the undersides look a real mess. Modern rotary aircraft are notorious for throwing oil all over the aeroplane, pilot and anything else within 50 yards or so - you could add a little more and still it would not be overdone, especially if it represents the machine shortly after it had landed and the ground crew had not had time to clean it off. For once less is not necessarily more.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2020, 06:55:04 AM »
No!!!! If you look at photos of the undersides of rotary engined aircraft the undersides look a real mess. Modern rotary aircraft are notorious for throwing oil all over the aeroplane, pilot and anything else within 50 yards or so - you could add a little more and still it would not be overdone, especially if it represents the machine shortly after it had landed and the ground crew had not had time to clean it off. For once less is not necessarily more.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. As usual My photos do not show the whole picture. with the Naked Eye in proper lighting you can see the ribs and spars just peeking through the fabric due to soaking  :-[

One of the uppers:

RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:00:40 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2020, 07:50:30 AM »
RAGIII
I like your underside staining. It is exactly how it would look after having been flown, and then wiped clean several times. I once took a pristine model and simulated oil blown back during flight. Got it just how I imagined it. Then it dawned on me that the airplane would have looked like that moments after it landed from it's first flight and never looked that way again. Your oil staining is truly realistic IMO. Great work!
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »
Looks fantastic to me Rick, following your build is helping me so much with mine. The upper surfaces look superb too.

Richie

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »
Looks great Rick.  This build is up to your usual high standards and does not disappoint.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2020, 06:51:24 AM »
RAGIII
I like your underside staining. It is exactly how it would look after having been flown, and then wiped clean several times. I once took a pristine model and simulated oil blown back during flight. Got it just how I imagined it. Then it dawned on me that the airplane would have looked like that moments after it landed from it's first flight and never looked that way again. Your oil staining is truly realistic IMO. Great work!
sp

Thanks! I Greatly appreciate your input! I am as usual, satisfied at times and at others not so sure. That being said it will stay as is  8)
RAGIII

Looks fantastic to me Rick, following your build is helping me so much with mine. The upper surfaces look superb too.

Richie

Thanks Richie. If My build helps someone then Mission Accomplished!
RAGIII

Looks great Rick.  This build is up to your usual high standards and does not disappoint.

Thanks Juan. I always appreciate you dropping in on My builds!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2020, 07:58:03 AM »
Weathering with oils is pretty much done on the wings and fuselage. I used red, black, yellow ochre, white, and burnt umber blended together then mostly wiped off. Makes for a varied brownish color added to the PC 10.
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
Looking superb Rick, I really like the oil weathering. Will try that on mine. The camel is such a handsome little aircraft and yours is looking particularly good.

I see what you mean about the decals.They are really thick, a bit like Japaneses style decals you get on Tamiya kits. I'm definitely going to be cutting mine first like you suggested. I'm guessing they have to be thick to avoid disintegrating under layers of micro sol.

Looking forward to seeing it become a biplane.

Richie

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »
She looks mighty fine, Rick!
Loving every aspect of your build.

Onward!!

8) ;)

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »
Looking superb Rick, I really like the oil weathering. Will try that on mine. The camel is such a handsome little aircraft and yours is looking particularly good.

I see what you mean about the decals.They are really thick, a bit like Japaneses style decals you get on Tamiya kits. I'm definitely going to be cutting mine first like you suggested. I'm guessing they have to be thick to avoid disintegrating under layers of micro sol.

Looking forward to seeing it become a biplane.

Richie

Thanks Richie. If you use oils for this Don't use the Acryl fast drying type. Regular oils take longer to dry but also allow you time to remove them if you don't like your initial results  ;D

I should be able to clear coat over the weathered surfaces today or tomorrow, Then I will ATTEMPT the upper wing. Fingers crossed for No More Cabane problems!
RAGIII

She looks mighty fine, Rick!
Loving every aspect of your build.

Onward!!

8) ;)

von B

Thanks Bob. All will be ready for your masks soon!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2020, 11:47:46 PM »
If you use oils for this Don't use the Acryl fast drying type. Regular oils take longer to dry but also allow you time to remove them if you don't like your initial results  

Sounds like a good plan, thanks for the tip. Being able to remove and adjust results would have saved me a lot of thumb print aggravation yesterday. The extra drying time doesn't worry me, I can crack on with making eyelets and reading up on rigging. I'm going  for fishing line this time. EZ line resulted in some pretty comical wing dropping on my eindekker. :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2020, 05:39:15 AM »
If you use oils for this Don't use the Acryl fast drying type. Regular oils take longer to dry but also allow you time to remove them if you don't like your initial results 

Sounds like a good plan, thanks for the tip. Being able to remove and adjust results would have saved me a lot of thumb print aggravation yesterday. The extra drying time doesn't worry me, I can crack on with making eyelets and reading up on rigging. I'm going  for fishing line this time. EZ line resulted in some pretty comical wing dropping on my eindekker. :)

Sounds like a good plan Richie. I don't know if you have looked at any of My build logs but I tend to go against the grain where rigging is concerned. I don't use turnbuckles. Just Trout fishing line run through holes drilled in the wings and secured with super glue  ::) That being said I admire those who have Mastered getting buckles all lined up in the same direction as their rigging wires  8)
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2020, 05:47:59 AM »
I'll have a look, that sounds a lot more straightforward, I was planning on just making tiny eyelets and avoiding using brass tube. I'm going to have a little experiment and see if they can easily be bent under tension in the right direction. If that works out I shall be a very happy man!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2020, 06:36:37 AM »
I'll have a look, that sounds a lot more straightforward, I was planning on just making tiny eyelets and avoiding using brass tube. I'm going to have a little experiment and see if they can easily be bent under tension in the right direction. If that works out I shall be a very happy man!

Just for the record I say Go for the Gold and learn to use those buckles  ::)
RAGIII

PS: I don't know if My Post Image account was Hacked or All of Post Image but it is now setting off Norton and there are some weird advertisements that shouldn't be there  >:( So I am trying Flickr again. This is a repeat and experiment to re learn how to post photos!

PPS: So I was successful. I am thinking it is probably good that I have always Posted My Photos so they Don't take you back to the host site. Otherwise we might have a bunch of stuff here that doesn't belong  :o

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:09:43 AM by RAGIII »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2020, 12:08:23 AM »
Great looking weathering Rick.  The oil staining of the bottom is awesome.  I'm continuing to follow this.