Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918  (Read 16740 times)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Looks great as is Lance, will look spectacular after your next painting session.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
   Thanks for checking it out and for your comments Guys. Juan, I actually thought about staying with the original scheme, it is rather unique! The stripes are actually an option for the late version kit which I have stashed and may consider well down the road.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
 MEIN GUT GOTT

Lance , I thought I was having an excellent day when my Boss gave me another raise , come home turn on the computer and bam . I love the scheme !!! I do have this kit in the stash and will be doing the black/white version ( fits in with my others such as my SSW ) So I'm really looking forward to the next stage of the yellow/blue bands . I have only seen one other online build of your chosen livery . It is sharp looking . Oh ja , nice to see you back on this one , making good progress . How was the kit lozenge to apply ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Terri! I vaguely recall seeing this scheme done before but can't recall where. Do you remember where you saw it?
   As for the Kit Lozenge I'm afraid it's not great. I hadn't encountered problems with Wingnut decals before but, from what I've read on line, it was just a matter of time. Not the quality I've enjoyed from them in the past I'm afraid, very brittle and some real world class cracking and minor shattering going on. I don't normally use their kit lozenge as I far prefer the colors of Aviattic's product however since this is being over painted I went with it. I hope they solve this shortfall as it's becoming a very common observation.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhwinter

Beautiful, Lance!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Hi Lance , sorry I can't recall at this time which forum I saw the build on . It was either Large Scale Modeller or Large Scale Planes where I was viewing the build . This was a while ago now . I will see if I can find it and post a link for you .

I will be replacing the kit lozenge with Aviatic decals and I have spare cross in the stash . It is a shame about their decal issues of late and I hope they get it resolved on future releases .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

Lance, you have done already a very careful paint work! The actual state looks already great, but I guess with overpainting it will look even better and very unique.
This will be another stunner!

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the encouragement. Terri, my apologies, I meant to congratulate you on your work news, a raise in these somewhat bleak economic times in the "City of Champions" indicates your contributions at work are much appreciated! Great news! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Glad to see you back on this one, Lance.  Can't wait to see paint job #2.

Offline RichieW

Wow! Lance I just read through this from the beginning, what a superb exhibition of skill. I love the engine with the details added. It looks like it could be fitted with a propeller and fired up. Really looking forward to seeing the next installment!

Richie

Offline Borsos

Great color sheme, almost a pity to cover it up.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
   Thanks for your comments guys. I've got two coats of Future on her now, will let it cure for 24-48 hours and then start the masking for the second color scheme of yellow and blue. I'll be doing the fuselage in the yellow overall, then re-sealing that before masking for the blue stripes...... could be touchy!
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
     I can't believe it's been a month, it's definitely time for an update on this project!
     The next stage of the plan went well, that of getting a coat of yellow over the previous black and white colour scheme and the lozenge fabric on the flying surfaces. The stripes show through the yellow about as well as on the photos of the original, that is "vaguely" at best. In real life their visibility and that of  the lozenge pattern and original crosses depends on the light and viewing angle.

Next came several coats of Future to protect the finish from the masking required for the blue stripes. After drying for 48 hours the blue portions were applied, another coat of Future, and the markings were added.

Some chipping was applied to the engine cowlings which were prepped with AK Chipping Medium, weathering/oil will follow once installed.

Some overspray and lack of sufficient paint spots will require a bit of touching up.

I'm now completing the installation of GasPatch Type C Turn Buckles on the lower rigging points, the uppers will get Bob's Buckles when the lines are done.

Now it's time to clean up the work bench a bit and then start getting these parts together.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

I Love what you are doing Lance. The oversprayed and "See Through" markings look perfect to My Eyes! I also really like the chipping and weathering. First Class work as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

Most excellent treatment of the painted over original stripes and lozenge.
I take it the AK chipping medium is a metallic undercoat of sorts. Great results.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.