Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918  (Read 16439 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
It's time I started a Build Log on this project which I've done some very basic work on in the past month or so. I received this Kit along with a Late version one last Christmas and, although in no great rush to build it, was so motivated by Gisbod's Build in the Memorial Group Build that I decided it was time!
   After some time studying the excellent recent Data File #157 "At War" version (Thank you Ray, as always just an outstanding publication) and the considerable photo collection on the Wingnut Wings site the blue and yellow striped scheme of the subject of the Build was a very appealing choice. This bird was originally painted in the Unit's signature white and black horizontal stripes with Lozenge Fabric covered flying surfaces as are very evident in the reference photos as a subtle bleed through effect of both on the scheme. I really wanted to attempt the complicated scheme thus the choice was easy!

The usual mandatory Box Art shot, also a very tempting livery!

........and here's the chosen finish.

I'll be using both 1:32 and 1;48 Scale GasPatch Turn Buckles along with Bob's Buckles, Their Parabellum 14/17 Gun for the rear seat, HGW Fabric Seat Belts, and assorted Taurus upgrade fittings for the Daimler-Mercedes D.IIIau Engine. Cockpit additions will include Aeroclub Instrument Bezels and some recently acquired Bronco Models "Wingnuts" which look very much like the Fuel Selector Levers in many of the German Aircraft.

I've got a start on the engine and cockpit components at this point.
    The Build commenced with making the spark plugs for the engine; I used Albion Alloys Slide Fit brass tubing of 0.5 and 0.7 mm for the outer ends and base of the plugs respectively.

The very basic portion of the engine build is completed and awaiting the ancillaries, electrical, and "plumbing" along with some oil and grease.

..... and here's the started cockpit floor and side frames along with the Gas Tank and pilot's seat. (Brave men those!!!)

This will be a very slow build as I am still finding it difficult to train the new Pup and have any amount of leftover time! Apparently I'm not a great multi-tasker in my advanced age!
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:38:23 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Beautiful start Lance, looking forward to your progress.

Online RAGIII

Outstanding start Lance! Looking forward to your progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Robin

Nice! I get myself a chair here. :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
This is going to look super Lance, have not seen many of these built so far, and none with the yellow blue candy wrapper scheme.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Nice opening, Lance  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhwinter

Lance, thank you! I will surely follow your build-log here, as the version you've chosen is the one, I am most interested in, too! Looking forward to learning how you'll tackle the challenge of the shining-through earlier scheme.
Richard

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Great start on this one, Lance.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
   Thanks for looking in all, and for your encouraging comments! I'm looking forward to getting serious with this one! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

Oh Lance, nice to see you on the bench again! What a great start, I like the seat, and a build with a lot of bling-bling ;D
I want to build your box pictured Cl.II in 1/48, but a mini group build is not possible, I have already to many shelf queens which need to be finished before.

Happy modelling,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
Frank,
    Many Thanks! It is a very attractive scheme, and with the previous one showing through should prove very interesting. I think it'll be a lot of fun but challenging to get it done right.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline AlbertD

Re: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »
Looks great so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together with that striking paint job.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »
Hello Lance,
what a pretty start on this one.
I also got my hands on this great kit, if you should need some additional photos: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10173.0
To add some more possible choice regarding the finish, D. S. A. et al. depict this very machine in SCHLACHTFLIEGER as being yellow and red, not black. There are some interesting fotos of it in the old Windsock Datafile, No. 20.
good luck and best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
Looks great Lance!

Glad you liked mine  ;)  Super colour scheme you’ve chosen. It’s an interesting aircraft with lots of detail  :D

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with her. Good luck!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
You are off to an excellent start lance , nice job on the floor . Love the effect you have achived with the wore paint  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .